Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guard Sam Cassell On the 2005-06 Clippers:

""If you don't take us seriously, we're going to walk out of your arena with a win. It's just that simple."
:biggrin: love to see our vets leading the way, mentally and in the game

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Ahem ... He, himself, had better do a better job of backing up those statements instead of putting all of the pressure on the other guys.

His own inconsistency is going to kill us. Needs to tone it down until we are 'clicking on all cylinders', IMO.

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
Dynasty Raider said:
Ahem ... He, himself, had better do a better job of backing up those statements instead of putting all of the pressure on the other guys.

His own inconsistency is going to kill us. Needs to tone it down until we are 'clicking on all cylinders', IMO.

:yes: To true. His play has been a negitive these last four games. Ironically if not for Brand stepping up and Corey back I'd be somewhat worried. But now that we are healthy Im somewhat more positive even if he jacks up stupid shots. I'd like to see Mobley work a little more on a consistant game.

I mean Im sorry but someone labeled as one of the "pure" shooters in the game should be shooting better than 39 percent from the field, and 29 percent from 3 point territory.. :hurl: Thats just horrible shooting from someone who only really has an outside game. I like that he is more defensive orientated this season, but its not helping much when he is shooting in a funk and bricking important 4th quarter baskets. He is not making me feel good about letting Simmons go so far. I know its only 6 games... But I would have thought at least 4 of those six would have been great games so far...

As for Cassell.... Shooting an amazing 38 percent from FG range... :hurl: These guys are bricking over a combined 25 misses a night right now, they gotta bring that up. Especally if they are going to be the difference this season between us beating a team on the road and losing a close game on the road.

The first 6 games were very padded. A perfect chemestry building lineup as the teams were not very challenging, but now these two need to step up as we are going for some tough games ahead. I hope they get it together.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
CDRacingZX6R said:
:yes: To true. His play has been a negitive these last four games. Ironically if not for Brand stepping up and Corey back I'd be somewhat worried. But now that we are healthy Im somewhat more positive even if he jacks up stupid shots. I'd like to see Mobley work a little more on a consistant game.

I mean Im sorry but someone labeled as one of the "pure" shooters in the game should be shooting better than 39 percent from the field, and 29 percent from 3 point territory.. :hurl: Thats just horrible shooting from someone who only really has an outside game. I like that he is more defensive orientated this season, but its not helping much when he is shooting in a funk and bricking important 4th quarter baskets. He is not making me feel good about letting Simmons go so far. I know its only 6 games... But I would have thought at least 4 of those six would have been great games so far...

As for Cassell.... Shooting an amazing 38 percent from FG range... :hurl: These guys are bricking over a combined 25 misses a night right now, they gotta bring that up. Especally if they are going to be the difference this season between us beating a team on the road and losing a close game on the road.

The first 6 games were very padded. A perfect chemestry building lineup as the teams were not very challenging, but now these two need to step up as we are going for some tough games ahead. I hope they get it together.
Dont worry about Cat. He is going to be fine. Its a good sign that he hasnt played that well and we are still winning. Forget about Simmons. He is gone and there is no going back in time. He didnt want to be a Clipper and I wish him luck but I can care less about him.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
CDRacingZX6R said:
I'd like to see Mobley work a little more on a consistant game.

Mobley is doing fine in my opinion, the guy is in a shooting slump of course. BUT! I haven't seen him take a dumb *** shot in a critical situation. He shoots when he should, but they don't always go down, that's fine with me because you can't always shoot lights out.

If he starts jacking them up when other guys are wide open, that's when i'll start *****ing about him. But i've seen him just taking good shots, unfortunately they haven't been going down. And his defense (especially late in games) has been much better than advertised.

He knows he's not doing as well as he should on offense, so he's going the extra mile to make up for it on defense. How many other shooting guards really get blocks in clutch situations?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
leidout said:
Mobley is doing fine in my opinion, the guy is in a shooting slump of course. BUT! I haven't seen him take a dumb *** shot in a critical situation. He shoots when he should, but they don't always go down, that's fine with me because you can't always shoot lights out.

If he starts jacking them up when other guys are wide open, that's when i'll start *****ing about him. But i've seen him just taking good shots, unfortunately they haven't been going down. And his defense (especially late in games) has been much better than advertised.

He knows he's not doing as well as he should on offense, so he's going the extra mile to make up for it on defense. How many other shooting guards really get blocks in clutch situations?
I agree...Stats can be overrated at times. His shooting % is not where we would all like it but he brings leadership to this team. We got too many weapons and all we need is to have 2 of them have good games and we will many games. Im hoping for a 50 win season now!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah Cassell his defentinitly the leader of the team

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
DaFranchise said:
Forget about Simmons. He is gone and there is no going back in time. He didnt want to be a Clipper and I wish him luck but I can care less about him.
You must have missed what happened when the Clippers screwed over Simmons. They were publically saying they wanted to resign him and would match any team offers, while behind his back obvously persuring Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, Redd, etc. The list goes on and by the time they decided to possibly settle on Simmons he decided to go back to the team where his home town is.

You must have missed all the press conferences and interviews were Brand, Livingston, and Corey kept saying they wanted him to stay but the Clippers orgization wanted to go in a different direction.

The truth is Simmons would have stayed if we made him a priority. We didn't and we were not even honest with him about looking for other upgrades over him. So he took a deal elseware, which seems to have worked out best for him. Good for him.

Just sad when people have team hopping homerism but down follow the actual events.

For more information see these threads that already discussed it:

http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181643&highlight=resign+Bobby+simmons
http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181150&highlight=resign+Bobby+simmons
http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180483&highlight=resign+Bobby+simmons

I'm not sure how many months Bobby was supposed to pretend they were setting up and getting ready to resign him, but he waited long enough in my opinion.

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
leidout said:

Mobley defiantly hasn't been as bad in crunch time as Sam. I guess comparing the two is unfair in that regard because he hasn't had the chance to take as many bad shots in the fourth as Cassell. But regardless some of the shot selection has been poor and shooting percentage tells everything in the fact of it says he is missing MUCH more than he is making which is good enough. I don’t care if he makes some of those critical baskets in the fourth. IF he is shooting 45-50 percent and taking near 25-30 shots in one night he wouldn't need to make any clutch game winners because they would have a nice cushy lead.

Percentages are important.

But I have been impressed with his defense compared to the other times I've watched him play.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Why are we bringing Simmons into this discussion. He is no longer with the clippers. So you think that Mobley was a bad acquisition?? I'll take Mobley a thousand times over Simmons if I was the one doing the deals. You can't even compare their games. Simmons is a spot up shooter who can't create his own shot. Cuttino on the other hand is a good shooter who could penetrate and break the defense. I say he is more clutch than Simmons would ever be. To me Simmons is just a good role player making all star money.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
CDRacingZX6R said:
You must have missed what happened when the Clippers screwed over Simmons. They were publically saying they wanted to resign him and would match any team offers, while behind his back obvously persuring Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, Redd, etc. The list goes on and by the time they decided to possibly settle on Simmons he decided to go back to the team where his home town is.

You must have missed all the press conferences and interviews were Brand, Livingston, and Corey kept saying they wanted him to stay but the Clippers orgization wanted to go in a different direction.

The truth is Simmons would have stayed if we made him a priority. We didn't and we were not even honest with him about looking for other upgrades over him. So he took a deal elseware, which seems to have worked out best for him. Good for him.

Just sad when people have team hopping homerism but down follow the actual events.

For more information see these threads that already discussed it:

http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181643&highlight=resign+Bobby+simmons
http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=181150&highlight=resign+Bobby+simmons
http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180483&highlight=resign+Bobby+simmons

I'm not sure how many months Bobby was supposed to pretend they were setting up and getting ready to resign him, but he waited long enough in my opinion.
Are u saying we shouldnt have tried to acquire Redd, Johnson, Allen, or Hughes? Those are 4 young players and you have to at least try to get one of them. Bobby had one great season and didnt deserve that money yet. Plus the CLips wanted to move Maggette back to SF where he doesnt have to handle the ball as frequently and obtain a true SG. Bobby was quoted as saying that he wanted to play closer to home to be with his family. Get over Bobby or if you want you can go suck his <strike>dick at the Bucks forum.</strike>

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
DaFranchise said:
Are u saying we shouldnt have tried to acquire Redd, Johnson, Allen, or Hughes? Those are 4 young players and you have to at least try to get one of them. Bobby had one great season and didnt deserve that money yet. Plus the CLips wanted to move Maggette back to SF where he doesnt have to handle the ball as frequently and obtain a true SG. Bobby was quoted as saying that he wanted to play closer to home to be with his family. Get over Bobby or if you want you can go suck his <strike>dick at the Bucks forum.</strike>
Hey just because your a clipper homer that spends more time <strike>sucking your own dick while licking the asses</strike> of the Clippers management, rather than living in reality doesn't mean everyone does. The truth is the truth. The truth is the Clippers said Simmons was the priority. The truth was he wasn't you retard, so why is it Bobbys fault for bailing? So let me get this straight you moron? Bobby wasn't also quoted as saying he wanted to remain a Clipper to? Don't be such an absent minded sheep. He wasn't going to say the Bucks suck and theres no reason to sign with them after he signed with him would he? He said there were many positives to signing with the bucks but he also said the entire time he'd like to work with the Clippers management but they have not CONTACTED him yet.

You saying he sucks because he went to a team willing to pay him and wanted his talents? Yeah, that trader.. How dare he sign with a team that actually made him priority. I mean doesnt he know th at he passed on the Clippers with a great... Uh.... location?

So why don't you read a paper once in a while and STFU.

Thank god the majority of Clippers fans I've met don't have your thought process.

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
DaFranchise said:
Bobby is gone. Get over it.

I'm fine with it. But I want the person picked over him to perform better than him on average, and it hasn't happened yet. I'm picky I know, but since we gave a 30 year old practically the same money I'd like to see results.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
CDRacingZX6R said:
I'm fine with it. But I want the person picked over him to perform better than him on average, and it hasn't happened yet. I'm picky I know, but since we gave a 30 year old practically the same money I'd like to see results.
You obviously liked Bobby as a player a lot and you are still pissed off that the Clips didnt resign him. Give Cat a little more than 6 games to show what he is worth.

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
DaFranchise said:
You obviously liked Bobby as a player a lot and you are still pissed off that the Clips didnt resign him. Give Cat a little more than 6 games to show what he is worth.

I'm willing to give him more games before I turn on him. I'm just saying I hope he improves his consistancy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts