Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bulls talk is a little slow right now. But i ran across something in hoopsworld that we may want to keep an eye on. I know its hoopsworld we are talking about but if there is any truth to it we might see more about it written in the newspapers. Before i talk about whats was written i want to say that i read this morning where all of the big three were on the block, but milwaukee has been dissapointed that the offers have not been better. So there may be a little truth to this article and i am throwing it out for discussion

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_748.shtml

SAM CASSELL NEXT?: The Milwaukee Bucks made their first major change, but the next change may be the one most fans will appreciate. Word has it the Bucks have been trying to unload Sam Cassell and his enormous ego. The Bucks had had talks with free agent Travis Best, and the Bulls seem agreeable to a sign and trade. A league source indicated that talk had centered on a sign and trade deal that would send Best to the Bucks, along with Jamal Crawford, and would return Sam Cassell, to the Bulls. Why would Chicago make such a deal? Apparently, the Bulls indicated to Jalen Rose that they would do “whatever it took” to become a playoff team in the next two seasons. Its hard to argue that Cassell doesn’t help win games, and maybe a backcourt featuring Rose, Cassell and Jay Williams could win a few more games than Rose-Crawford and Williams. Cassell is slated to make roughly $21 million over the next four years. The only hitch in moving Cassell alone is his $4.5 million salary this year doesn’t return as much as it sends, so a package deal would need to take place in order for Best and Crawford to be moved, and the Bucks do not posses a lot of luggage for a deal, beyond Joel Przybilla.

So, cassell has 4 years left on his contract. He is a player! But he has complained almost every year about the Bucks management since he has been there. Is cassell what we need? Does that mean jay will be a SG? That being said, if the kukoc trad had gone through and we would have traded to get cassell, we might have been very close to a playoff team this year. Comments?

·
Registered
129 Posts
First off let me ask you the same, do YOU think that's what we need, MAN I don't know I really wanted to see what Crawford's REAL skills was and if we DO get ALIEN ummm I mean Cassell that would mean Jay Williams would rot on the bench I don't think the team really need Cassell I mean we need his potential,BUT we don't need his attitude . . .so what YOU think of em.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How about this instead? I know!!
Chicago trades: SF Eddie Robinson (9.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.3 apg in 22.5 minutes)
PF Marcus Fizer (12.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 25.8 minutes)
PG Jamal Crawford (9.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.4 apg in 20.9 minutes)
Chicago receives: SG Ray Allen (21.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.9 apg in 36.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -8.8 ppg, -5.3 rpg, and -1.4 apg.

Milwaukee trades: SG Ray Allen (21.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.9 apg in 36.6 minutes)
Milwaukee receives: SF Eddie Robinson (9.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.3 apg in 29 games)
PF Marcus Fizer (12.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 76 games)
PG Jamal Crawford (9.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.4 apg in 23 games)
Change in team outlook: +8.8 ppg, +5.3 rpg, and +1.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Chicago and Milwaukee being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Chicago and Milwaukee had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
129 Posts
Who's going to get the ball Rose,Allen or are we going to let Jay rot on the bench !?!?!? DEFENSE NOT OFFENSE DEFENSE ! ! !:upset: :upset: :upset:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
That's an interesting trade idea. Cassell IS a player. His contract isn't all that big.

This would almost certainly make the Bulls better this season. Not so sure about 2-3 years from now (Cassell will be 33 in November).

All in all, I wouldn't do it. If the Bulls are patient, they figure to be very good in 2-3 years. At that point, who will be better, Cassell or Crawford? Probably Crawford.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't know I love that Cassell jump shot, can't say to much for Craw but I love those tattoos and those injuries though keep it up.:D :laugh: :D

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I can't imagine that we would want Cassell. He's got a rep as selfish and we're already set with guys who can distribute the ball unselfishly. If we got Cassell, there are any number of teams I'd consider turning around and trading him to for something that would be a better fit (examples: Kurt Thomas, Donyell Marshall)

I still like the ERob+Best for Kukoc deal better. It's not as flashy, but it just seems to fit in with our team better.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Any enjoyment I gain from following the Bulls would be severely diminished if I had to root for Sam Cassell.

I know the Bulls have promised Rose to get the team better sooner rather than later, but getting a guy like Cassell would indicate a complete departure from Krause's stated goals--putting the team in a position to win championships.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by ScottMay
Any enjoyment I gain from following the Bulls would be severely diminished if I had to root for Sam Cassell.

I know the Bulls have promised Rose to get the team better sooner rather than later, but getting a guy like Cassell would indicate a complete departure from Krause's stated goals--putting the team in a position to win championships.
Yes, i know.

Maybe this is just a guessing game by hoopsworld. They might have seen the article that cassell needs to go and just assumed that a trade for cassell would be what the bulls wanted.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
need an education

I'm much more of a Bulls' fan than I am an NBA fan. Over the years, I haven't watched all that many regular season games other than the Bulls. I've probably seen Cassell play 30 games total. I look at his stats for the past 3 seasons and see a 47% shooter who averages 19 points and about 8.5 assists. Heck, he even grabs close to 4 boards/game. Stats-wise, that's pretty strong.

When I've seen him play, he's been streaky. I've seen him take over games late and win games for his team. I've seen him draw defenses to himself and make nice passes to teammates. I've also seen him try to take over a game and take his team out of it in the process. I've seen lots of high confidence guys do that though, Iverson and MJ included. He's played effectively on the defensive end.

I've read about him being a "shoot-first" PG. I've read precisely the same description used to describe Jay Williams. I've heard that he's a pain in Bucks' management's tail, but don't know any specifics.

Just to be clear, I'm on record earlier in this thread as being against the proposed trade. Cassell's a little too old and Williams needs to play. I'm just wondering why folks thinks Cassell is so undesirable. Please advise.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
i like the Cassell trade for the Bulls. They would definetly be a playoff team next year(not that they arent without the trade)

Curry
Chandler
Rose
Jay
Cassell

Pretty good line up to me

·
Registered
42 Posts
i dont go for the trade it said mil wants to get rid of cassell and his attitude,so krause would want him if anything krause has shown he doesnt like attitude prob, thats why he aint bringing back oak, there isnt much diff in their attitude and krause doesnt want the young guys to get to close to prob players,and an interview rose did following the charity game hinted he knows this year they will not be contenders in the playoffs b/c of the free agent crop he mentioned the bulls wont be big players this year but next year they will (with better talent available). he said the bulls would just get veteran( guys like blount and the players mentioned in rumors) that would help only a little not impact guys, so i dont see that happening at all

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Transplant, I don't have a lot to offer in order of specifics, except that Cassell can be kind of a shot jacker and that he complained about his contract.

I guess my biggest problem is that I don't see him being a good fit. I don't see a whole lot of situations in which he and JWill could be on the court at the same time. I suppose at 6'3" Cassell could play a few minutes at SG, which should open up enough time at the point for JWill. Hypothetically, we could pull off a combination deal of Best, ERob, Fizer, and Crawford for Kukoc and Cassell. That would add one very good vet and one ok vet for essentially 3 bench players. Add Harpring to the mix, and I see a playoff team.

Also, I think Hoopsworld is usually full of it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Don't just settle for Cassell. Think in terms of how much better the Bulls might be if they added Sam and Donyell Marshall.

It's not as far fetched as it might seem. First, lets keep this in mind: Chandler, Curry and Williams are still kids by NBA standards. They need help while they develop. Cassell would be an excellent addition. His skill/salary ratio make him a valuable addition. The Jazz are reported to have all but given up on resigning Marshall. Apparently their owner, Larry Miller, and Marshall's agent, Dwight Manley seem to have reached an emotional and intellectual impass. As a result, the Jazz are now courting Matt Harpring as an alternative to Donyell. If the name Dwight Manley rings a bell you might want to think back to the glory days when Manley represented Dennis Rodman.

Manley and Krause seemed to get along just fine in those days. If the Jazz switch to Harpring maybe Manley and Krause can strike a deal. Marshall can play both SF and PF.

Back to Cassell. The man will be 33 in November. Each of the last few seasons has seen him so beat up by playoff time that his effectiveness on the court was diminished significantly. And the simple reason for that was because Milwaukee didn't have an adiquate backup for Cassell at the point. That won't be the case here. JWill is going to get his minutes, even though he'd be apprenticing to Sam. Cassell stays fresh throughout the season and JWill gets an education from one of the most productive NBA point guards in recent years.

Could Cassell and Marshall become problems in a few years as the kids' playing time continues to increase and their time possibly gets reduced? Somehow I don't think so. Superior talent will win out over time. And once JWill proves he's ready, how's Cassell going to argue? Because of Marshall's versatility, I doubt playing time will ever be much of an issue for him.

Sam Cassell and Donyell Marshall, the two newest members of the Chicago Bulls...I like the sound of that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know about you, but I would like this deal. We would be getting a guy that can score 15-20ppg, and 5-8 apg for the Bulls. This would allow them to have 3 guys that can play PG (along with Jay and Rose). Cassell doesn't make that much for a good player.

However, Cassell has seemed to have ego problems. Will a change of scenery change that? If he did come to the Bulls I would hope so.

Anyway, he would make the Bulls a better team. The trade would also give the Bulls a decent back up to Curry.

I like it.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bighead734</b>!
I don't know about you, but I would like this deal. We would be getting a guy that can score 15-20ppg, and 5-8 apg for the Bulls. This would allow them to have 3 guys that can play PG (along with Jay and Rose). Cassell doesn't make that much for a good player.

However, Cassell has seemed to have ego problems. Will a change of scenery change that? If he did come to the Bulls I would hope so.

Anyway, he would make the Bulls a better team. The trade would also give the Bulls a decent back up to Curry.

I like it.

i've gone to a few Bucks games and he doesn't have ego problems, he just wants to win and he gets pissed off when he doesn't win... I still remember that 3 point shot with like 1 second left to put the game into OT VS the Bulls, the guy is a GOOD player he can shoot and pass well... I'de take him Alien head and all

·
Registered
145 Posts
I like the idea of getting Marshall and Cassell. The Bulls would be a playoff team with the 2 of them and getting Przybilla would be OK. We would have 3 centers with him and be deep all around with Marshall in tow.

PG: Cassell,JWill
SG: Rose, Mason, Hoiberg
SF: Marshall, ERob
PF: Chandler, Fizer, Blount
C: Curry, Przybilla, Bags

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I want no part of this trade, and i hope Hoopsworld is full of it. We already have a shoot first pg who can pass in Jay. Wouldn't the ideal player to complement him be a pass-first sg who can shoot? We actually are one of the few teams who has one of those, and they want us to trade him for another shoot-first pg who will be retired by the time this team peaks? If theres one thing that can ruin our chance to become a title contender (other than injuries), it will be impatience. I know everyone wants to make the playoffs now, but this move would significantly hurt our chances to be a contender one day.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
IMO, the Bulls need a proven, yet young, veteran who can play SG and SF. He must be a versatile scorer with range on his J and be able to play great D. If he can rebound and pass, all the better. This type of player along with Jalen would be interchangable between the SG and SF positions as the match ups dictate. If necessary, Jalen can even play PG.

Although Cassell would be a great pick up for price, I don't think the Bulls are interested in another PG. Krause seems to be high on both Crawford and JWill and will probably use this season to determine which one will be the future leader of this team. Bringing "The Alien" into the mix, would only cloud the Bull's rebuilding plan. My biggest knock on Sam is that he tends to complain a lot about calls which often results in an easy bucket on the other end. That alone would make me shy away from making a move for him.

So who would be a great SG/SF for the Bulls? IMO, it's Bonzi Wells. Last season he averaged 17ppg, 6 rpg, and close to 3 asp (2.8) in 31 mpg. He's only 6'5", but he has a long wing span and can hold his own at the SF spot. His FG% is a very impressive, .495 for his career. He's young (25) and already has 4 years of playing experience as well as a lot of playoff experience. What's even more attractive, is that he's played on a team that has been loaded with scorers and he's still found a way to find playing time and be productive.

IMO, Bonzi is the answer. He's young, talented, experienced, versatile, athletic, and affordable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts