Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cats have not played that good in first three games. Would be a good time to play up to their capabilities.Mild upset-Vt 76-St,Johns 73.

·
Registered
387 Posts
St. John’s favored by a small amount seems reasonable. They have some pretty talented players, they’re at home, and we’re not exactly killing it offensively right now. Plus we’re short a starter.

If we start making some threes, I think we have a really good shot. Defense should keep us in touch regardless but I don’t think we beat these guys just with defense like we did the first two opponents on the road. This would be a good time for Smith to break out.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,252 Posts
Continue to play strong defense, and absolutely positively do not turn the ball over. St John's thrives in transition.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The ESPN Matchup Predictor gives the Cats a 52% chance of winning, but I haven’t been too impressed by the validity of the Matchup Predictor so far.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
The ESPN Matchup Predictor gives the Cats a 52% chance of winning, but I haven’t been too impressed by the validity of the Matchup Predictor so far.
The ESPN Matchup Predictor had Kentucky over Evansville at 96%...

Statistics...maybe just create a false sense of security??>?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
If UVM plays well, they have a shot to win this game. UNH hung with them for most of the game before wearing out. They didn't do anything on offense that we haven't already seen. Their press and zone defense could create some issues, but if UVM shoots well, limits turnovers and the defense shows up, I'd like UVM's chances. It will take a better effort than UVM has shown so far.

Let's goooo!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
The SJ fan forum says:

Pretty reasoned, measured response from Johnnies fans...frankly, you could even call it sandbagging a bit.

Way back in the off-season I pegged this as an upset opportunity. Hard to read SJU right now based on the competition they've played, but are probably a little better out of the gate than I anticipated. We're probably a little slower out of the gate than I would have thought (despite the wins). Not quite as optimistic as when the schedule was released, but I think we'll be in it. One of the few times this year UVM won't unquestionably have the single best player on the court.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I wish we had Shungu (but mostly hope he is fully healthy for AE play)
I might have missed it...was it confirmed Shungu is out for Saturday? I know he missed Wednesday because of that nagging hammy. Wasn't sure if there was official word, or just educated speculation.

·
Premium Member
32,587 Posts
St. John's is our best chance at a "name" upset in OOC IMO. Virginia really doesn't want its opponents scoring more than 34pts apparently and Cincinnati is just not a team we're going to match-up well with.

Need to give St. John's the opportunity to beat itself and make poor decisions, and we need to take care of the ball ourselves and rebound/not give up second chance opportunities. If we do that we have a shot.

·
Registered
425 Posts
St. John's reminds me a little bit of Nevada last year with the Martin twins, except less three-point reliant and a lot more fast dribble penetration and active ball pressure on D. Key will be to take care of the basketball; first couple games not a good sign! They'll happily feast on UVM turnovers.

I think we have a better team to handle the fast pace ball-pressure but I don't think the matchup will bode well for Giddens and Davis. I expect Giddens to play less than 15 minutes and Davis to play less than 20. We could really use Powell's speed and athleticsm to keep up with Heron and Figuerra..... I'm hoping Bailey can have a break out performance.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts