Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Cleveland Cavaliers are positioning themselves to be able to sign a maximum contract player during the offseason of 2014, according to executives and agents around the NBA.

LeBron James is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent in that offseason.

People around the NBA believe there is an increasing possibility of James returning to the Cavaliers after the 13-14 season.

James signed with the Miami Heat in the 2010 offseason to improve his odds of winning a title, but the Cavaliers have managed to acquire several promising young players as part of their rebuilding.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta..._Max_Cap_Space_For_Possible_Pursuit_Of_LeBron

Probably the biggest bullshit story I've read in awhile. Yes Dan Gilbert didn't mean anything in that letter he wrote about Lebron, and yeah Lebron is just going to jump right back into Dan's hands like nothing happened. smh.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I think it's doubtful that he goes back to Cleveland, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lebron leave after this contract, especially if Wade's body starts to fail him. I'd be very surprised if Lebron played from now until retirement in Miami.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
This is going to be a gong show until he signs his next contract. Even if he keeps his mouth shut this time around or says the right things about sticking with the Heat.

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Lebron is going to stick here for at least another contract. I don't see him leaving especially with what Pat Riley can do, If he can convince Lebron to leave his "hometown" he will probably have no problem with convincing him to stay. I don't see him leaving his best buds, when they are playing with each other for a reason.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I think Lebron is going to stick here for at least another contract. I don't see him leaving especially with what Pat Riley can do, If he can convince Lebron to leave his "hometown" he will probably have no problem with convincing him to stay. I don't see him leaving his best buds, when they are playing with each other for a reason.
Meh, we'll see. Wade is going to be the real question mark here. If he deteriorates further, and he should due to age, his contract is going to be a real burden for the team. Miami can't make any real moves with all 3 of them on the roster, so what you see is what you get with their team.

I could see him leaving, but obviously another championship or two drastically changes that.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
They're playing with each other because they wanted to win titles. If Riley has put together a move or two that makes 2014-2018 look as bright as 2010-2014 did, Lebron will stay. If Wade's breaking down, Ray Allen and Battier are getting ready to retire, and it's going to be Lebron and Bosh carrying everything, then James leaves for greener pastures. He's a mercenary here for rings. He's your mercenary, for now, but don't forget that he's a mercenary.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
He's a mercenary here for rings. He's your mercenary, for now, but don't forget that he's a mercenary.
I predict this will be the salient point in this thread regardless of how many posts it ultimately has.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
Dan Gilbert has a ton of ground to make up after all the things he said about Lebron and his close friends.

I think all the big 2010 signings have the opt-out clause for that summer so that's shaping up to be another big offseason.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Regarding him being a mercenary, I think the backlash he received for leaving a team and forgoing placement on the "whole career on one team" list works against him switching teams again. He's hyper-aware of history and knows team-hopping is viewed as a blemish on legend's careers. The only team I could see him leaving to would be CLE, but it'll take a perfect storm to make it happen.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Regarding him being a mercenary, I think the backlash he received for leaving a team and forgoing placement on the "whole career on one team" list works against him switching teams again. He's hyper-aware of history and knows team-hopping is viewed as a blemish on legend's careers. The only team I could see him leaving to would be CLE, but it'll take a perfect storm to make it happen.
It worked fine for Shaq when he won a title in Miami or when KG got his ring in Boston. Besides, things are different these days. The career one-franchise guys - essentially Kobe, Pierce, Duncan, and Dirk - are the exception these days. He's not going to do any more damage to his legacy leaving Miami than he did going there, provided he wins in his new surroundings.

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're playing with each other because they wanted to win titles. If Riley has put together a move or two that makes 2014-2018 look as bright as 2010-2014 did, Lebron will stay. If Wade's breaking down, Ray Allen and Battier are getting ready to retire, and it's going to be Lebron and Bosh carrying everything, then James leaves for greener pastures. He's a mercenary here for rings. He's your mercenary, for now, but don't forget that he's a mercenary.

That's a bunch of bull man come on. This is what Lebron always wanted. To play with his best buds in a city with the glits and glamour. You think he really wants to play for another team when every single team Boo'd him in 2010-2011. He just recently said that No one will ever go through what the Heat did in 2010-11 season. This team went through so much to be divided. the big three is going to stay.

Not to mention that they all took less money to play together, who says they won't take even less money again so Heat can sign other elite players. They will stay.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
[/U][/B]

That's a bunch of bull man come on. This is what Lebron always wanted. To play with his best buds in a city with the glits and glamour. You think he really wants to play for another team when every single team Boo'd him in 2010-2011. He just recently said that No one will ever go through what the Heat did in 2010-11 season. This team went through so much to be divided. the big three is going to stay.

Not to mention that they all took less money to play together, who says they won't take even less money again so Heat can sign other elite players. They will stay.
Don't do this to yourself: he didn't come to play with his best friends, because Wade and Bosh weren't his best friends. He didn't come for the glitz and glamour, because New York and Brooklyn wanted him even worse. He came for rings. He saw teaming up with Wade and Bosh, with Riley filling out the rest of the roster, as his best chance at winning titles. You're delusional if you think he's going to spend the tail end of his prime pulling Miami through a rebuilding period.

Lebron will stay if it's in his best basketball interest to do so. If another team can offer big money to team with younger, better stars, he'll go there. If he's learned anything from this whole endeavor it's that acting in your own self-interest is the quickest way to success.

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't do this to yourself: he didn't come to play with his best friends, because Wade and Bosh weren't his best friends. He didn't come for the glitz and glamour, because New York and Brooklyn wanted him even worse. He came for rings. He saw teaming up with Wade and Bosh, with Riley filling out the rest of the roster, as his best chance at winning titles. You're delusional if you think he's going to spend the tail end of his prime pulling Miami through a rebuilding period.

Lebron will stay if it's in his best basketball interest to do so. If another team can offer big money to team with younger, better stars, he'll go there. If he's learned anything from this whole endeavor it's that acting in your own self-interest is the quickest way to success.
Bosh Wade and Lebron were planning on coming together about 5 years pryer to his Decision. And it's known that Wade, Bosh and CP3 are Lebron's absolute best friends in the league. Do your research please. Everyone know's Cleveland and Toronto werent the most attractive cities so all three decided on Miami.

If you think this was a over-night decision then my god...This was planned out for years between Bosh and Wade and Lebron man. Don't fool yourself.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Bosh Wade and Lebron were planning on coming together about 5 years pryer to his Decision. And it's known that Wade, Bosh and CP3 are Lebron's absolute best friends in the league. Do your research please. Everyone know's Cleveland and Toronto werent the most attractive cities so all three decided on Miami.

If you think this was a over-night decision then my god...This was planned out for years between Bosh and Wade and Lebron man. Don't fool yourself.
Where did he say it was an overnight decision?

But to think the decision for Lebron will be the same next contract as it was the previous is ridiculous. When he went to Miami, Wade was at his peak and being argued as being just as good as Lebron, and Bosh was being the #1 option on the Raptors and viewed as a top 3-5 big man in the league.

Now Wade has clearly taken a few steps back, and will undoubtedly be worse when its time for Lebrons decision, and who knows what will happen with Bosh, but at the very best he'll be what he is right now, which is probably less attractive then when they all decided to go to Miami.

Lebron isn't going to stay out of friendship. He's got that Jordan and Kobe gene where he wants to record chase and go down as the best. If that isn't in Miami like Bogg said, he's gone.

Also just a side note, but I hope you don't actually think there's a chance CP3 goes to Miami.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

If it was planned out five years prior they would have just signed qualifying offers in their fifth years, got together in year six, and won a hell of a lot more rings. I believe they talked about "one day, we should...." like guys in their early twenties do. I also believe they eventually got tired of playing with poor supporting casts and Riley gambled on them wanting to win. However, Lebron was "best friends" with Boobie Gibson and Mo Williams and "loves" Anderson Varejao. Didn't stop him from leaving to play with better basketball players. Just like it won't stop him from leaving in a few years if another team has much better players to put around him.

At the end of the day, if any of the things you were saying carried any weight, he'd just come out and say that he was staying. "I'm a Miami guy through and through. This is where I belong, and this is where I'll be". It's that simple. Instead, when asked about leaving Miami to go back to Cleveland, what does he say?

“I think it would be great. It would be fun to play in front of these fans again. I had a lot fun times in my seven years here. … I’m here as a Miami Heat player, and I’m happy where I am now, but I don’t rule that out in no sense...And if I decide to come back, hopefully the fans will accept me.”

...because Miami will be aging and Cleveland will be coming off four or five straight years of picking in the top 10...and Lebron's going to do what's best for Lebron.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
I don't think it was decided 100% until that summer, but the first apparent move was in 2006. All 3 were in line to sign 5 year extensions. Bosh opted for 3, likely because he didn't want to sign away so many years in TOR. It was reported that Wade was about to sign the 5 year extension (keep in mind these kick in after the following season), until at the last minute LeBron convinced him to sign the 3 year extension instead, like he was doing. The conjecture was that it was in order to maximize dollars by not only shortening the contracts and hoping they stay healthy throughout them for the next re-up round, but also entering free agency during the last offseason of that collective bargaining agreement (though in 2006 it wasn't yet known the next would be more restrictive), instead of dealing with the unknown parameters of the next. Some took it in another direction and speculated LeBron got in his ear about eventually teaming up. I don't know where "five years" came from, but from the point many think they started hatching the idea (Beijing in '08, or maybe even the '06 Worlds), they've been locked in contractually.

With that said, I don't think LeBron's main motivation was playing with friends. He knew he was forming a nearly-unprecedented super-team. Wade had happened to be one of his best NBA friends, and Bosh was another good friend he formed a bond with by being in the same draft class. If he's convinced some other situation is clearly better for him and it's the right move to make, there's no way any social bonds with Wade and Bosh will hold him back.

It worked fine for Shaq when he won a title in Miami or when KG got his ring in Boston. Besides, things are different these days. The career one-franchise guys - essentially Kobe, Pierce, Duncan, and Dirk - are the exception these days. He's not going to do any more damage to his legacy leaving Miami than he did going there, provided he wins in his new surroundings.
That may be true, but that's not necessarily in line with his perception. He's already set a precedent to switch teams in pursuit of titles, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Decision fallout left him sensitive to potential criticism in the event of another move. He's like a Jeter in terms of public image conscientiousness, though not necessarily adeptly so.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I don't think it was decided 100% until that summer, but the first apparent move was in 2006. All 3 were in line to sign 5 year extensions. Bosh opted for 3, likely because he didn't want to sign away so many years in TOR. It was reported that Wade was about to sign the 5 year extension (keep in mind these kick in after the following season), until at the last minute LeBron convinced him to sign the 3 year extension instead, like he was doing. The conjecture was that it was in order to maximize dollars by not only shortening the contracts and hoping they stay healthy throughout them for the next re-up round, but also entering free agency during the last offseason of that collective bargaining agreement (though in 2006 it wasn't yet known the next would be more restrictive), instead of dealing with the unknown parameters of the next. Some took it in another direction and speculated LeBron got in his ear about eventually teaming up. I don't know where "five years" came from, but from the point many think they started hatching the idea (Beijing in '08, or maybe even the '06 Worlds), they've been locked in contractually.

With that said, I don't think LeBron's main motivation was playing with friends. He knew he was forming a nearly-unprecedented super-team. Wade had happened to be one of his best NBA friends, and Bosh was another good friend he formed a bond with by being in the same draft class. If he's convinced some other situation is clearly better for him and it's the right move to make, there's no way any social bonds with Wade and Bosh will hold him back.

That may be true, but that's not necessarily in line with his perception. He's already set a precedent to switch teams in pursuit of titles, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Decision fallout left him sensitive to potential criticism in the event of another move. He's like a Jeter in terms of public image conscientiousness, though not necessarily adeptly so.
If he was to leave though, it wouldn't be in some pomp and circumstance gong show like "The Decision". The fact that its still called that and has its own name only goes to show how asinine it was.

If he just told Cleveland how much he enjoyed playing there, but was going to take a shot in Miami and wished them the best everything would have been a lot smoother for the Heat.

If he decides hes going to some other team and makes a primetime show about it, and then has fireworks shooting everywhere and a moving stage and shit when he gets to his new team, then yea, he'll be torn apart again. He knows that.

If he goes somewhere he'll just go there. Not make a show of it.

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where did he say it was an overnight decision?

But to think the decision for Lebron will be the same next contract as it was the previous is ridiculous. When he went to Miami, Wade was at his peak and being argued as being just as good as Lebron, and Bosh was being the #1 option on the Raptors and viewed as a top 3-5 big man in the league.

Now Wade has clearly taken a few steps back, and will undoubtedly be worse when its time for Lebrons decision, and who knows what will happen with Bosh, but at the very best he'll be what he is right now, which is probably less attractive then when they all decided to go to Miami.

Lebron isn't going to stay out of friendship. He's got that Jordan and Kobe gene where he wants to record chase and go down as the best. If that isn't in Miami like Bogg said, he's gone.

Also just a side note, but I hope you don't actually think there's a chance CP3 goes to Miami.

Are you guy's like troll's or something? Since Lebron came to Miami it's been 2 straight Final's apperances and they just won the Championship in 5 games against the Thunder.

Why on earth would he go to another team? Like Why? Money? Um No he left that all on the table with Cleveland. Championships? Ummm the only place is Miami...like it's not Rocket science guys.

Wade is declining yet posting career highs in efficiency because you know Lebron runs the show...so its hard for Wade to score 30 a night. Bosh is shooting career high as well. So I don't know what drugs you are smoking but it's not good my friend.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts