Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cleveland (12-27) at Utah (21-17)
9:00 p.m. ET

Coming off the heels of a loss at Golden State, the Cavaliers need to regroup against the Utah Jazz. That will be a tough task because the Jazz have not lost at home against Cleveland since 1989.

nba.com Preview

Notes:

For the Cavaliers, Newble is activated (first game was at Golden State) and Sundov (gained in the Celtics trade) was waived.

Starting line-up:

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Halftime

Cavs - 33

James (9 points)
Boozer (6 boards)

Jazz - 51

Kirilenko (15 points)
Arroyo (6 boards)

--------

This is a truly brutal game for the Cavaliers. The Jazz use man-to-man and occasionally mix in a zone that leaves the Cavs baffled. If things do not turn around, the Cavs could find themselves down by 30 next half.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I'm not gonna comment on Z throwin' jabs, or poor fast-break defense, or poor outside shooting.... it's the freakin' lack of off the ball movement.

Why does every team we play have better movement on offense then us? This has been true for a number of years.... is it the players? The system? The coaches? You watch Sacramento, and they are flying around, and then you look at a team like Utah with only one top-notch player (AK47), and their team is zooming around, coming off picks, cutting to the rim.... and we keep standing around....... why is this?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
oh yeah, and the good thing for us with the Jazz game.... it's the end of this west coast road swing, and we go back home for 12 days and 5 home games. They aren't easy teams to play, but is there any team in the league that you could say is an "easy" opponent for us?? So far for the month of Jan. Clev is 3-5, with one win at home vs NY, and one on the road vs Seattle, and this one on the road vs Utah

Tues- Seattle
Thurs- Sacramento
Sat- Philly
Mon- Orlando
Wed- Miami
Fri, Jan 30 at Milw

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tied at 85-85 at end of regulation!

The Cavs played well to get out of that hole but LeBron went down. I hope he's not seriously hurt or the Cavs' future will be dark until he returns.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
well..... that kinda changes everything. Glad to see our boys play with some real grit in the 4rth and sent it into O.T...... but seeing LeBron carried off the floor without being able to put any weight on his right ankle might make a bit of a difference, doncha think?

I don't remember him turning an ankle in H.S.... this might be a first for him. We'll see how he comes back from this (if it is only a sprain). The bad thing is, he's gotta jump on an airplane for a 3 hour flight back to Cleveland with a sprain, when the best thing woulda been to be at home with the medical facilities right at hand.

Ira missed a chance to win it for us in regulation, Clev up by 4 in O.T.... let's see if they can win one for the rook. Clev up by 2..... someone has to step up for us... Battie? Ollie? New ground for those level guys to be the "go-to" guy.....

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Cavs by 6 with 1 second to go. But the injury to LeBron definitely puts a damper on the win.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
wow.... that was an amazing win.... simply amazing. Down by 18, without Z, without LeBron, Utah playing brutal physical ball...... man..... that game was the exact opposite of the Celtics game.... Clev showed a TON of heart and grit, and anyone who doesn't think Carlos Boozer is not a starting PF in this league... they need to watch tape of this game. And it wasn't just the stats, it was the physical play he brought when it was needed. By the way, Boozer's Grandmother died the other night, and he had dedicated this game for her. Also, Reghi just said we hadn't won in Utah since 1989.

Let's hope LeBron heals quick, and the team doesn't have a letdown when they get back home, but this might've been their best win of the season (maybe even bigger then the win that broke their road losing streak vs Philly)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bunk 22</b>!
Is it just me or is Lebron becoming a ball-hogging SG like the rest of the premiere players in the League. He already has attempted 28 shots and its still time left in the 4th.
If you watched the game you'd see he was the only Cav able to get shots off vs Utah. Utah was really banging and bumping and knocking Clev around, and Cavs were getting laid out left and right... Eric Williams, Z, LeBron... they were all getting knocked off their feet. James was the only one to muscle through it.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by <b>Bunk 22</b>!
Is it just me or is Lebron becoming a ball-hogging SG like the rest of the premiere players in the League.
LeBron is certainly more ASSERTIVE these days but I would not call him selfish.

Tonight's game was about attacking the Jazz's defense. LeBron's aggressiveness helped set the tone for the game and add in Big Z's fight and you realize this was a brutal game. People had to step up tonight. It wasn't pretty but I'm glad LeBron and others shot a lot. They wouldn't have won the game without that mentality tonight.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Boozer is very underrated. Most people think he's just an untalented hustle player but he has the potential to be a better version of Horace Grant. That's not bad for a guy picked in the second round.

If it's just a sprain, will LeBron be available by Tuesday? I didn't see the clip, was it severe?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Couple of other thoughts.... man, what a great comeback....

Clev really shutdown AK47 as the game went on. He too turned his ankle in the 2nd half, but he was not near the factor he was in the 1st half.

Kinda interesting that veterans Ira Newble and Tony Battie miss crucial free throws to win the game, and 2nd year man Boozer was rock solid in O.T. Boozer won't ever be a super-star, but is he a valuable core player or what! I think he is almost as untradable for Silas as LeBron (yes, if someone offered KG for Boozer straight up, yes, Silas would pull the trigger... you know what I'm saying)

Final 5 that brought us back to tie in regulation and win in O.T.: veterans Ira Newble, Eric Williams, Tony Battie, Kevin Ollie, and the Duke Demon Carlos Boozer.

This lost probably really sucked HUGE for the Jazz, as they had this game won. Think Ostertag was p'od for getting tossed? How p'od is he with losing the game too!!!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Like A Breath</b>!
Boozer is very underrated. Most people think he's just an untalented hustle player but he has the potential to be a better version of Horace Grant. That's not bad for a guy picked in the second round.

If it's just a sprain, will LeBron be available by Tuesday? I didn't see the clip, was it severe?
It wasn't one of those sprains were the guy comes down so hard it makes you wince and look away, but he was driving hard to the hoop under tough coverage and rolled it (right ankle). He laid out-of-bounds as the Cavs were fighting for the rebound, Newble got fouled, and James was still laying there. He did not put ANY weight on it, and was helped off, they said a quick x-ray showed just a sprain... but sprains CAN take up to 2 weeks to heal. They got 3 days til their next game. That, and expect Z to miss 1-3 games too.

·
Registered
995 Posts
To me it didnt look very serious, just landed awkward on it. He was in a lot of pain so that leads me to believe its a lelvel 2 sprain. With a level 2 sprain I think 5-6 games at MOST.

Dr. TyGuy

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
How many times must we say it, Boozer has one more year on his contract with the Cavaliers. I still think that the Cavs will offer him a nice contract at the end of this year. But they have a team option on him for next year.

By the way, isn't it ridiculus that Boozer and Bremer make just about the same amount?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
LeBron said he's playing next game.

LeBron a ballhog? Who is this guy? People are trying to put LeBron down with comments that dont make much sense. LeBron makes it so hard for them to pick on him so they have to make crap up.

PEOPLE THAT DONT WATCH LEBRON HAVE NO IDEA WHAT KIND OF PLAYER HE IS.

I see this time and time again. Pathetic.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts