Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man... the Cavs are starting to piss me off. No Shaq, no Malone, no Fox, Kobe is hurt, we were up by 11 early.... and they start playing like crap. Man, where is the energy? No crashing the offensive board. Standing around on offense. Wild shots by Wagner. Miles can't hit a ft. Kedrick can't hit. Kapono can't hit. No defensive intensity. I know we are still in transition, and our rotations are not set and Diop and Wagner are still raw... but on the heels of the ugly Celtic game, I expect better.

Maybe all the trade talk is needed. Maybe we do need a more aggressive PG and move LeBron to the SG. I did notice that we had a mini-break with Ollie at the point, and he pulled up at the 3 pt circle with runners on both sides. James woulda attacked. And speaking of James, he has been playing without spark lately... as goes LeBron (a 19 year old rookie) so goes the Cavs....

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Halftime

Cleveland - 38
Los Angeles - 40

That was one of the worst first halfs in recent Cavaliers history.

I want to stay positive and say "It can't possibly get any worse and sloppier than that." But I don't want to jinx the squad. The Cavaliers really can win this game, despite how awful they're playing. If they lose to a Malone-less, Shaq-less, and one-armed Kobe Lakers team, I'll scream.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
We do need a point guard. Lebron gets too tired bringing the ball up for 40 minutes against full court pressure every night.

It's been an awful game. Lebron's on the bench now. And hey. Whatever it takes to get this win tonight. They need this win bad.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Lebron has played awful tonight:
-didn't stay in front of his man
-didn't box out
-didn't rebound
-turned the ball over passing and dribbling
-relied on his jumper too much against a team with no shotblockers
-didn't get to the line

Basically he played like a 19 year old rookie. And the team followed his lead.

Got beat by a Laker team without Shaq, Kobe, Malone...that's not good.

They look like they are starting to get used to losing. And I don't like it one bit.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!

Got beat by a Laker team without Shaq, Kobe, Malone...that's not good.
Not quite yet -- Boozer with a nice three point play to give him a double double and cut the lead to 4 with 1:47 left.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!

Not quite yet -- Boozer with a nice three point play to give him a double double and cut the lead to 4 with 1:47 left.
And yet. Like much of the night. They just couldn't do anything with that.

I think there are some trades still to be made for this team.

That's easily the worst I've seen the Cavs play this year on national television. Which is saying a lot because they tend to stink it up on national television.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
That was horrible, ugly, disappointing, and pathetic... the Cavaliers were horrible. So bad that I felt embarrassed for having looked forward to this game. Without Shaq, Karl, and Kobe, the Lakers are the scrubbiest team in the league. Medvedenko looked like an unstoppable force.

:no:

The Cavaliers just have no clue of what to do... they did not get a single good shot in the fourth quarter. I don't know what the answer is for this team.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
The Cavaliers just have no clue of what to do... they did not get a single good shot in the fourth quarter. I don't know what the answer is for this team.
Well, come on...they were going up against star defenders like Horace Grant, Kareem Rush and Brian Cook...

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Did anybody else think Kareem Rush outplayed Lebron?

KAREEM RUSH for godsakes. I know Lebron was trying to avoid fouls. But he was letting Rush take him to school.

I felt really bad for Paul Silas for having to deal with this team after a loss like that.

I don't know what happened to this team, but they need to fix it. I can excuse mistakes. But this is a team that WAS playing with effort. They played like losers tonight.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Alright, even I think the Cavs should've won it, and I"m a Kobe fan! With KB8 out of the picture, LeBron should've had his way with this beat-up Laker team and once again prove that the hype is real! But instead we see a bunch of no-name Lakers crush the Cavs! Of course a 29-point fourth quarter by the Lake Show doesn't help the Cavs chances!

Is it just me, or has LeBron cooled off a bit? At one point, he was averaging almost 30 points a game for 5 games! Now he can't even reach 20 points anymore! Has he hit that "rookie wall?"

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
He's definitely struggling to score, compared to December when he was on fire. He's been getting a lot of assists recently, though. The team has got to figure something out to get better quality shots. Almost all of the 18 or 20 shots LeBron takes in a game are difficult ones. Nobody is going to make a good percentage of those shots. Watching him recently, I don't know how he was scoring so much before.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
To take this thread in a different direction... here are some positives from the game.

1. Kedrick Brown. I like how he was playing before he and Kobe got hurt. He wasn't making his shots, but he was doing a lot of other things well.

When Gary Payton stole the ball and had a one-on-one opportunity against Kedrick Brown, Kedrick made a brilliant defensive play and forced Gary into a tough shot under the basket, which he missed, and Kedrick got the rebound.

Later, as he was guarding Kobe, he blocked Kobe's jumpshot in the lane. He just jumped up and got a hand in front of the ball. How many guards defending Kobe can block his shot one-on-one?

I love the way he swallows up rebounds over other people and I bet Silas does too. He had 5 in 13 minutes. The shots he took, even though he missed most of them, were good shots.

2. LeBron James posting up. He posted up against Kobe and scored twice, and looked pretty comfortable. The Cavaliers should go to that more often. He is big and strong enough to post up against any 1/2/3 in the league and probably some 4's as well.

3. The beginning of the game... the Cavaliers looked like a much improved team in the first quarter, and opened up a good lead. Their team defense was good and they gave Kobe some trouble. They didn't give up easy baskets. Their defense led to a few easy baskets on the other end. Ilgauskas was scoring.

I don't know what's wrong with this team. They should be better than they are.

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
i think it was a big mistake to trade away ricky davis THIS SEASON... now there is a reason why i said this season.. because lebron is 19 and the truth is he can't lead a team. it was ricky davis' team!!! you cant expect a 19 year old to go from leading a high school team and then lead a nba team. really, this is all a joke. in a couple years, ricky could be a leader and then you have lebron getting 25 a game, then trade ricky for someone that can actually play.....

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Who is the problem and how to solve the problem? No Excuse.

1. Silas
2. Lebron
3. Boozer
4. Z

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
To take this thread in a different direction... here are some positives from the game.

1. Kedrick Brown. I like how he was playing before he and Kobe got hurt. He wasn't making his shots, but he was doing a lot of other things well.

When Gary Payton stole the ball and had a one-on-one opportunity against Kedrick Brown, Kedrick made a brilliant defensive play and forced Gary into a tough shot under the basket, which he missed, and Kedrick got the rebound.

Later, as he was guarding Kobe, he blocked Kobe's jumpshot in the lane. He just jumped up and got a hand in front of the ball. How many guards defending Kobe can block his shot one-on-one?

I love the way he swallows up rebounds over other people and I bet Silas does too. He had 5 in 13 minutes. The shots he took, even though he missed most of them, were good shots.

2. LeBron James posting up. He posted up against Kobe and scored twice, and looked pretty comfortable. The Cavaliers should go to that more often. He is big and strong enough to post up against any 1/2/3 in the league and probably some 4's as well.

3. The beginning of the game... the Cavaliers looked like a much improved team in the first quarter, and opened up a good lead. Their team defense was good and they gave Kobe some trouble. They didn't give up easy baskets. Their defense led to a few easy baskets on the other end. Ilgauskas was scoring.

I don't know what's wrong with this team. They should be better than they are.
Excellant post. Kedrick may not be as flashy as some, or score as easy as others, but he does play solid defense. I'd still like to see him take it to the hole more. And on the lob he missed, LBJ did not give him a good feed. Has anyone seen Kedrick shoot a free throw?

LBJ posting up.... more.... PLEASE! Sure, Z is our main post-up guy, but sometimes they should clear out for James to post. And speaking of posting up... when is the last time any Cavs off the ball flashed down the middle of the lane when Z gets double-teamed? Our team still stands around too much, whether it is Z with the ball in the middle, or James with the ball on the outside. You rarely see Sacramento or Dallas guys standing around.....

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>sheefo13</b>!
i think it was a big mistake to trade away ricky davis THIS SEASON... now there is a reason why i said this season.. because lebron is 19 and the truth is he can't lead a team. it was ricky davis' team!!! you cant expect a 19 year old to go from leading a high school team and then lead a nba team. really, this is all a joke. in a couple years, ricky could be a leader and then you have lebron getting 25 a game, then trade ricky for someone that can actually play.....
Ricky is not a leader. Never will be. A good player? Yes, but not a leader. He has about as much chance of being considered a leader by his coach or team-mates as Latrell Sprewell or Antione Walker. Being a leader does not require one to be a scorer, but you have to be more than just a scorer to be a leader. Ricky is a gun. A showboater. I doubt he gets much respect from around the league except for his ability to dunk and score.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts