1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleveland (11-26) at Seattle (19-16)
10:00 pm EST

Preview from nba.com

After losing to a depleted Lakers team in one of the worst performances to date, the Cavaliers must break their losing tradition on the road. LeBron has played below his ability lately and other Cavaliers' players have not shown the intensity needed to win games. A passive attitude and shakey demeanor has taken hold of the squad. This needs to be corrected tonight. Even if the Cavaliers lose tonight, I want to see people dive for loose balls and defensive stops made from sheer will. A win now is needed before all hope is lost and players essentially give up, tanking the remainder of the season due to a lack of belief of the team's system and talent.

Things I would like to see happen:

1. Dajuan Wagner to find the balance between sheer aggression and foolish wildness (yet sadly, he is one of the few Cavaliers showing aggression compared to the passive lot).
  2. LeBron James to come out with a fury, which would set the tone for the rest of the team for how the game is to be played.
  3. The Cavaliers to execute on offense and cut down hastey turnovers (the real killer of last night's game with LA).
    [/list=1]

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Is Kedrick Brown going to play? I never heard how he was doing after he left the game last night. He's a valuable player, and his defense and athleticism would really help against Seattle.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brown is not playing tonight but the other players are stepping up their games.

Halftime

Cavs - 58

Sonics - 51

Right now, the Sonics are shooting great from beyond the arc (9-16) compared to the Cavs (0-3). If Seattle continues to shoot this well, the game will be hard to win. However, if their shooting cools off, they might be in trouble. The Cavaliers have gotten to the foul line well (14-15) in comparison to the Sonics (2-2). If Seattle is continues to live by their jumpers, it could backfire.

Cleveland only turned the ball over a few times, which marks an unbelievable improvement over yesterday's game with the Lakers.

High Men:

Cavs - James (16)

Sonics - Allen (14)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
BB

They mentioned Brent Barry is a free agent after this season... how good would he look for us!? 6'6 pg with a deadly outside shot, and plays a smart game.....

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Brent Barry would be awesome for the Cavaliers. He's high on my wishlist for the Cavs. He's as good a shooter as there is, and most of all he's a savvy veteran player who can lead. He's a great passer too. They should trade Miles for a point guard and sign Brent Barry as a 2 guard.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
speaking of Darius Miles.... this is why this guy is so aggravating... why can't he play with this type of energy more often or all the time???? It's not like he's a freakin' rookie.

Also, its the 4rth quarter and James has no lift on his jumper... too many minutes too early in an up and down game. The other Cavs gotta take up the scoring effort.
This would be the time to put in a rested Z, and work the shot clock inside with him. DaJaun, Miles, Diop and Kapono are all on the floor right now and have all played a lot more minutes than what they are used to. This is a mistake by Silas, hope it doesn't cost us a great effort.

He should have in Ollie, James, Eric, Booz and Z IMO.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Cavaliers win, 104-86. LeBron James with 27 points, 9 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 steals.

DaJuan Wagner had 7 points, 7 rebounds, and 4 assists in 35 minutes.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Final Box Score

There were many good defensive plays down the stretch. The stat line may say 3 blocked shots for Miles but that does not take into account the shots he altered or made people hesistate on. While Wagner shot relatively poor, he attacked the glass with 7 boards, good for a little man. He chipped in with 4 assists and had 2 turnovers. On one of his turnovers, he rushed down the court and blocked the Sonics' shot, helping to somewhat negate his mistake.

James snapped out of his mini-slump with a near triple-double. He made the game look easy with a monsterous effort. Whether it was throwing down hard dunks or feeding fast breaks, James seemed to do virtually everything.

The announcers said it best that with a healthy team, the Cavs can substitute players in and out of the game to find the right combination. In the past, the Cavs had to manage with what they had. Now they can substitute to match moves made by opposing teams or substitute players themselves to make other coaches think of how the match ups will effect their squad.

If you're a Cavaliers fan, you're loving this victory. But if you're a Sonics fan, this must be heartbreaking. The shooting exhibition the Sonics put on tonight from beyond the arc was near legendary. I'm glad Cleveland didn't get rattled.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
That's the way to bounce back after a really disapointing loss. Silas must have really let them have it. Good to see Lebron bust out of his slump.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
This is one of their biggest wins of the season. I'm so relieved, I was beginning to think that they were going into a serious downward spiral. I wasn't sure LeBron would ever score 20 again this season ;) Hopefully his mini-slump is over. When he plays like this, the Cavaliers have a chance to win.

Golden State is next. The Warriors are inconsistent. They have great capabilities but some nights, they just don't get it going at all. They're not a great defensive team and the Cavaliers could overpower them.

Brian Cardinal is probably going to kill the Cavs. They tend to give up a lot to hustle players.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Another plus from this game was LeBron's physical play. He's got the size and strength to abuse people inside, and if he gets comfortable doing that he'll have a much easier time scoring. I like Antonio Daniels but I couldn't help but smile when LeBron overpowered him and left him on the floor on his way to the basket. There aren't many perimeter players in the league who could collide with LeBron and not get the worst of it.

If he keeps working on posting up and going to the basket, using his natural strength, the perimeter stuff and the jumpshooting will be much easier. I'm starting to believe he should play at small forward. Playing the point is a great learning experience, and he can certainly play it for stretches when you want him to, like Penny, but I think the team would benefit more from his talent at the 2/3.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
This is a great quote from Jerome James in the post-game...

"It was like we were all home watching the game on TV, watching LeBron play," Sonics center Jerome James said.

:laugh: Yeah, I bet. I'd love to get to watch him that close up.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
we'll trade barry for lebron straight up... :D

just playing. good game for him though.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Here is something else interesting from the game... the average age of the lineup used in the 4th quarter, with LeBron, Wagner, Kapono, Miles, and Diop, is 20.8 years.

James: 19
Wagner: 20
Kapono: 22
Diop: 21
Miles: 22

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I hate how espn said that LeBron got away with an offensive foul when he knocked down Daniels. Daniels was not set and LeBron did not extend his arm. He flopped, and for once the refs didnt call a charge on James. This angers me more because people tend to think that James is already getting calls. NO WAY. James should be averaging 22-23 ppg now, but the refs dont call anything. On top of that, they love to call flop charges on him all the time. Against the Lakers, he did charge on that spin play and that was a good call, but if you watch every game, it is obvious. Paul Silas even talks about this on his weekly radio show, giving good examples.

My estimate of how correctly a poster here interprets James' game would have to be 65% on average. It really gets to me. I wish I could show people tapes of games, pointing out good and bad.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
About the refs... I imagine that some of them are self-conscious about how they officiate LeBron because they don't want to be seen as propping him up... so they may be tough on him sometimes as a reaction.

I've seen a few questionable offensive fouls called on him. But that's a part of being a rookie, and he won't be one forever.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ESPN bothered me too with those comments. LeBron often gets hit directly in the head on drives and gets no calls. I guess they figure he's strong and can take some lumber being laid on him, thus the no-calls.

While I won't go crazy for Miles because of one game, I honestly don't want to see him go. He'll probably not be a star but who doesn't want an athletic garbage player who can play good defense (Miles can defend whenever he wants to)? Let's see how the team, when fully healthy looks before going trade talk happy.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
While I won't go crazy for Miles because of one game, I honestly don't want to see him go. He'll probably not be a star but who doesn't want an athletic garbage player who can play good defense (Miles can defend whenever he wants to)? Let's see how the team, when fully healthy looks before going trade talk happy.
It depends. I wouldn't trade him just to get rid of him. He seems like a good guy, and he sometimes has a good game. However, if they can get someone they really want in return, who can consistently contribute to the team, I say take it. If they can get a good point guard for Miles, I would take that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts