1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vs.

Cleveland (17-29) at Washington (14-31)
9:00 am PT,12:00 pm ET

The Cavaliers today will begin the second game of their road trip, coming off the heels of a close loss to the Bucks in Milwaukee. This game will be interesting because Gilbert Arenas and Jerry Stackhouse could see action in the game with Cleveland. If the duo returns for the Wizards, it helps their guard play and depth considerably. If both come out hot, then Cleveland will have their problems. I predict either they will both play well or they will only play okay, not being the deciding factor one way or the other for the game. There will be questions going into the game, such as “Will the duo fit back into the swing of things right away or will it take a few games?” While Newble hustles, I hope Silas gives more time to Brown, especially on opposing teams with explosive and dangerous offensive guards. Duo to the explosive nature of Arenas, if he plays and plays well, I hope Silas gives Brown the defensive nod to get time over Newble. The Cavaliers need to win this game to try and shake the road demons off.

Projected starters:

Key Reserves:

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Down by 5 at halftime, 42-47.

LeBron: 16 points, 3 rebs, 1 ast
Boozer: 8 points, 6 rebs
Z: 6 points, 5 rebs

Hughes: 9 points, 5 rebs
Stackhouse: 8 points
Haywood: 8 points

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dixon and Blake were nothing short of murderous when they were out on the court. I was shocked they came out of the game.

The Cavaliers should keep feeding Z and Boozer. They are shooting a combined 7/10 from the floor, getting good and close shots.

But the turnovers are killing Cleveland. Give credit to the Wizard defense. They are stripping and slapping away more balls than I've seen in a basketball game for ages.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
The Cavs made a run and are now up by 2 in the 3rd. McInnis had 6 turnovers in the 1st half, nothing good could come from that.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boxscore

Cavs - 104
Wizards - 100

High Men:

Cavs - James (38), Boozer (21)
Wizards - Hayes (20), Blake (15)

The end of the 4th quarter was disturbing, even though the Cavaliers won. That means Silas will have some hard practices coming up the next few days, after he looks at the tape in disgust at those late turnovers and poor decision-making skills.

But a win is a win and frankly, Cleveland needed this one badly. The Cavaliers were always competitive at home but on the road, that was a different story. However, the close loss to the Bucks and the win here in Washington hopefully can start to turn things around.

LeBron played very well. He was angry at some of the calls but overall, he was fantastic. On that note, the calls were strange. The Wizards were fouled on some plays and nothing was called. Then the same thing would happen to the Cavaliers (the play LeBron got angry after feeling he got fouled twice and got no call).

Boozer was rock solid as always. But I hope the point guard play improves for the next game.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Whats up with wag's playing time the last couple of games? Is he in the Dog house or something? McInnis has 9 turnovers and plays 40 plus minutes and wags gets less than 20 hitting 3 for 6 from the field. I know a wins a win, but Wags is a great scorer if they let him play.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
They probably want Wagner to be the sparkplug but it's not working very well because McGinnis isn't a very stable PG. Both Ollie and McGinnis have major flaws in their game that keep them from being legit starting PG's. In time, Wagner should be able to start alongside LeBron. His ballhandling has improved from last season.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The distribution of minutes has left me stratching my head too.

While Stackhouse did not explode, he had a few moments that made you think "Uh oh." With that said, I would rather see Kedrick Brown guard the quick, explosive scorers and have Newble guard the more physical scorers. Brown should get more time and with that said, it should come at Newble's expense (if the match up would favor Brown instead of Newble on defense).

Wagner was receiving more time during the homestand. He was getting around 20 or more minutes a game. But the road trip has seen that time shrink considerably. For a second, I thought "Perhaps it is the match ups" but then I paused and said "When Washington has Dixon and Blake out there, they're short too so Silas can't keep Wagner out because of that."

Who knows. A win is a win but the bench substitution patterns is inconsistent. Like I said, if Silas had a pattern determined by match ups (keeping tall defenders on tall players, short guys on short guys, etc), I could understand. It's not a huge problem because Cleveland is playing good ball. But as a fan, it bothers me.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Yeah I've been wondering what's up with Wags. Silas has a tendency to forget about guys on the bench off and on over the course of the season. Miles and Newble have both disapeared at times. Same with Jason Kapono.

Maybe the Cavs are showcasing someone for one last trade?

Good win for the Cavs. Starting Feb. off with a bang.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.