Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

The A-10 would be tied with the SEC in that scenario and only behind the Big East (8), ACC (6), Big 12 (6), and Big 10 (7).

VCU wins the auto-bid, gets a 6-seed.

Butler gets an at-large and an 11-seed.

UMass gets a play-in spot in the First Four and a 12-seed.

Saint Louis gets an at-large and a 7-seed.

Temple gets an at-large and a 9-seed.

This would be a great year for the A-10 if this pans out.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That just about sums up the problem with the Charlotte administration and fanbase during its entire tenure with the A-10.
I had high hopes for the league this year until recently. With VCU having a few guys ineligible and having to adjust to a new conference, Majerus taking a leave of absence, and the train wreck that has occurred at X in the last 2 months or so, I think three bids is more likely.

I just think at least one of Butler, VCU, UMass, or SLU will stumble.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guys ineligible for VCU are true freshmen, if we were depending on them, we wouldn't be in the conversation for a NCAA bid.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Again - If this scenerio happens then Phil Martelli MUST be fired.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Palm is pretty good. And he has 5 teams in, excluding the team that was voted league favorite in the A10 poll. Not sure what that means...

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jerry Palm had VCU in the tournament on Selection Sunday in 2011 when basically everyone else was like 'How the heck did VCU get in?!'

He's good at what he does.

I've heard several media types express surprise at St. Joe's being picked to win the league, and although some still thought of the Hawks as a NCAA team, there were a number of others who thought that was no sure thing either. They really didn't do too hot down the stretch and UNI was no world-beater when they lost to them at home in the NIT. I remember watching UNI when they came to the Siegel Center and while they weren't bad by any stretch of imagination, they weren't very good either.

Depth will be an issue for St. Joe's. They might just have the best starting 5 in the league though.

It will all sort itself out. St. Joe's can obviously use that as motivation. I'm all for whatever gets all of our teams playing at as high a level as possible.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Palm has proven to be a good predictor of the field just prior to selection....not sure he's better than anyone else with the preseason dart-throwing. But it does go to show just how wide open the top of the A10 is going into the season.

·
Cross Town Rivals
29 Posts
The guys ineligible for VCU are true freshmen, if we were depending on them, we wouldn't be in the conversation for a NCAA bid.
Kentucky relies on freshman recruits all the time to come in and make an impact. Fact is everyone in RVA knows that the expectation was Jordan to come in and play right away and not having Mo even in a limited role makes the Rams even thinner inside with reliance back on Hinton. One less guy to plug in even for a few minutes can matter especially in the paint. VCU can overcome this but know one can say that the Rams would not have been deeper and better off having these two players available to play.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I had high hopes for the league this year until recently. With VCU having a few guys ineligible and having to adjust to a new conference, Majerus taking a leave of absence, and the train wreck that has occurred at X in the last 2 months or so, I think three bids is more likely.

I just think at least one of Butler, VCU, UMass, or SLU will stumble.
And if one of those do, someone else will rise up. I've never understood this argument. It used to always be used from X fans who would say, "it's good for the league for X to be this good and would be bad for the league if they weren't"....not true. If one team falls, another will rise up. Especially this year when you will have 9-10 teams fighting for 5-6 bids to the NCAA.

·
Cross Town Rivals
29 Posts
This than makes the Hawks a "sleeper"? I guess. I think they are being underestimated by too many and being hyped too much by some media hounds. Still a 20 win season to build on is no small thing.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Kentucky relies on freshman recruits all the time to come in and make an impact. Fact is everyone in RVA knows that the expectation was Jordan to come in and play right away and not having Mo even in a limited role makes the Rams even thinner inside with reliance back on Hinton. One less guy to plug in even for a few minutes can matter especially in the paint. VCU can overcome this but know one can say that the Rams would not have been deeper and better off having these two players available to play.
VCU is not Kentucky. Very bad comparison.

UK is constantly losing players and UK has NBA-ready players stepping on the floor from Day 1 to replace them. VCU has 7 players back from their 8 man rotation and had a couple of lower end top 100 players. The vast majority of college freshmen have an adjustment period to D1 hoops.

How does everyone know what the expectation was on Jordan? All they know is what their own expectations were. There's a lot of hype because the kid cracked the top 100 his senior year and his brother is a VCU legend. That's about it. To be sure, he's very good and would have played minutes on this year's team in the rotation. It is a loss, but there is plenty of depth and proven talent on the squad. Burgess will be even better for it next year with what is essentially a red shirt season for a top 100 player. It doesn't help us this season, but we didn't need too much help to begin with and there are capable players to collectively fill the void left by Brad.

Mo Ali-Cox was not going to play much this year. He was being considered for a red-shirt long before the eligibility issues came up.

I don't think anyone has denied it hurts our depth. It's not really a huge blow to our prospects however. We still have 12 bodies and 7 from our 8 man rotation. There was little PT to be had regardless and now it gives a chance for someone else to step up.

Again, if we were depending on a couple of true freshmen for the season to be successful, we would have no business being mentioned as a legitimate NCAA candidate. There is a proven returning team in the wings that has played at a high level.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
And if one of those do, someone else will rise up. I've never understood this argument. It used to always be used from X fans who would say, "it's good for the league for X to be this good and would be bad for the league if they weren't"....not true. If one team falls, another will rise up. Especially this year when you will have 9-10 teams fighting for 5-6 bids to the NCAA.
In-conference, yes. OOC, it's not always the case another team has risen up. The assumption is that a very strong team in conference will usually also have a good OOC, which is what makes those at-large bids possible, though there definitely have been a few teams that clearly underachieved in OOC (not naming names). Then the conference needed a few teams to dominate to have any chance at an at-large bid.

The conference seems to be in better shape now, where complete domination in conference isn't as necessary.

·
Cross Town Rivals
29 Posts
I find any attempt to predict at large bid in preseason to be rather futile. Sure, there is historical trends but the A-10 will, likely be looked at more favorably now with the arrival of VCU and Butler for sure. What happens to the conferences like CAA left behind? Less bids- maybe just one and if your a GMU fan you better win the tourney:) So much will depend on what happens elsewhere for the at-larges, especially spots 3 through 5. I think the narrative of Butler and VCU help the A-10 geting (5) if one of those teams is sitting in that (5) spot but if say they finish (1) and (2) I wonder if that would make the committee feel satisfied with inviting three or four? (Again depending upon other upsets in other conference tourneys, etc)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts