Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Celtics "Monitoring" Oden

http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/8854901/danny-ainge-says-boston-celtics-monitoring-oft-injured-greg-oden

Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge confirmed Thursday during his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio WEEI that the team is "monitoring" former Portland Trail Blazers center Greg Oden, but haven't made an attempt to sign the 7-footer.

A report from CBS Sports on Thursday listed the Celtics as one of several teams interested in Oden, a 24-year-old who's already undergone three microfracture surgeries during his NBA career.

"Yeah, so we're monitoring Greg, like all the NBA teams are, but we have not attempted to sign him," Ainge said Thursday. "But we are monitoring him and having (conversations) with his people just to see where he's at."

Oden hasn't played in an NBA game since December 2009, and reportedly wouldn't return until the 2013-14 season.

"I don't think (he'd be ready to play this year)," Ainge said. "I don't know any of that for sure, but I would suspect that anybody that would sign him would have their eyes looking more towards his contribution in the future than now."
I mean, obviously it would be a huge plus if he could even stay healthy enough to play backups' minutes on a regular basis, but I'm suspecting that he's never going to be healthy enough to play consistently.

·
You think you know me
395 Posts
Re: Celtics "Monitoring" Oden

I feel bad for the guy being injury prone and all that.... But obviously he's not meant to be in the NBA. Three microfracture surgeries pretty much says it all. And is it me, or does the guy look about 30 years older than he really is? When I heard he was 26 or whatever, I couldn't believe it!

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
The Boston Celtics met with Greg Oden on Saturday, according to the Boston Herald.

Oden is attempting to come back next season after knee problems derailed the 7-foot center's career.

"We wanted to talk to Greg to see where he is physically," Celtics executive Danny Ainge said.

Oden was the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2007 by the Portland Trail Blazers, but missed his entire rookie season because of multiple knee surgeries. He played in 82 games before playing his last game on Dec. 5, 2009.

"We're just finding out as much as we can and letting Greg know what we have here," Ainge said. "He's not ready to play now, but he's someone who's very interesting.

The Celtics have lost point guard Rajon Rondo and Jared Sullinger to season-ending injuries in the past week.

Oden has also drawn interest from the Cleveland Cavaliers and Miami Heat.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basket...ith-celtics/w7bC55IJ4m5aUHNrXd66eK/story.html

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Merged.

I don't think Oden winds up in Boston this season, and I've had enough with the constant injuries that have ended the last four Celtics seasons, and potentially this one as well. If they want to take a flier on him in the summer I'm indifferent, but they already have one rebounding/defense project in the D-League already. Besides, the two positions of need are power forward and one more point guard. Garnett and Collins hold down the center spot just fine.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I really can't see Greg going anywhere other than Cleveland or Miami. Indiana would make sense if we didn't already have Hibbert/Mahinmi. I think he'd be a great fit in Boston, but I don't know why he wouldn't choose to contend in Miami or go back to Ohio.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm surprised he's not looking at Phoenix, if only so he can get the miracle juice they gave Grant Hill.
That's really where he should go. If anyone's going to keep him on a basketball court, it's those witch doctors they have in the desert.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Merged.

I don't think Oden winds up in Boston this season, and I've had enough with the constant injuries that have ended the last four Celtics seasons, and potentially this one as well. If they want to take a flier on him in the summer I'm indifferent, but they already have one rebounding/defense project in the D-League already. Besides, the two positions of need are power forward and one more point guard. Garnett and Collins hold down the center spot just fine.
It's the only way Boston signs him. He won't be playing this year at all, he's signing somewhere to begin a managed rehab program so that by the end of next year whatever team has him can sign him to an MLE deal without using the actual MLE.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The idea of Oden still leaves me lukewarm. It's low-risk, but I just have no belief that he's going to stay healthy, and would rather that we not risk Ainge going into a season relying on Oden playing center for 70+ games.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, well, Ainge did that for an ancient Shaquille running on bad wheels, so I don't put much past him. Still can't believe he let Tony Allen go over a $3 million third year because he thought he was gonna chase Dwight Howard.

·
You think you know me
395 Posts
Yea, well, Ainge did that for an ancient Shaquille running on bad wheels, so I don't put much past him. Still can't believe he let Tony Allen go over a $3 million third year because he thought he was gonna chase Dwight Howard.
I'll give you this, letting Tony Allen go was one of the biggest mistakes he's made, in addition to trading Perkins away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts