Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Celtics can't get tripped up

When the Celtics talk about the road ahead, they are not using a metaphor. If Boston fails to secure home-court advantage in the playoffs, seven out of the next nine games would be on the road. Those numbers include five regular-season games (New Jersey, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Toronto, Cleveland) and the first two playoff games. Though the No. 3 seed sounds good, it means little if Boston finishes with a worse record than the No. 6 seed. In that case, the FleetCenter would host Games 3 and 4 of a first-round series. Even though the Celtics lead the 76ers by 3 1/2 games with seven remaining, they still have a lot to play for. Indiana, currently in sixth place in the Eastern Conference, is just a half-game behind Boston.

"I don't know if we're going to have home court," said coach Doc Rivers. "But I do know we're going to be at home, and if we take care of that, then we have a chance to win that first round."

The Celtics play three straight games away from home starting with a matinee tomorrow against the Nets, though Rivers said he has not given the upcoming schedule much thought.

"Honest, I didn't know we had three games in a row on the road until you just said it," said Rivers. "I knew we had two. That tells you how far I look ahead. I look at the first game. I don't really care about those other ones. The Jersey game is going to be a big game. They're playing great right now. That's going to be the game that we have a problem with, in my opinion. If we get that one, then we'll worry about the next one."

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
Well, we didn't get out of that first one. Hopefully we can take the 76ers and keep that cushion going. We need home court in the first round, regardless of who we play. I don't want to see this team struggling to close the year, then going into the first round without home court. That would be a setup for disaster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts