Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet Celtics rookie guard Delonte West… originally from Washington, DC, Delonte played three years of collegiate basketball at St. Joseph’s University, helping to lead the team to an undefeated regular season last year. Selected by the C’s in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft (24th overall), Delonte arrived in Boston this past August for his rookie season not quite knowing what to expect of his new town, teammates or of NBA life.
http://www.nba.com/celtics/roster/DelonteDiary_111504.html

Six entries, in all. They give a first person perspective about life in the NBA. Good read.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
April 27, 2005 entry added.

Meet Celtics rookie guard Delonte West… originally from Washington, DC, Delonte played three years of collegiate basketball at St. Joseph’s University, helping to lead the team to an undefeated regular season last year. Selected by the C’s in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft (24th overall), Delonte arrived in Boston this past August for his rookie season not quite knowing what to expect of his new town, teammates or of NBA life.

Throughout the season, Delonte will be checking in regularly with Celtics.com to update his Rookie Diary, discussing what’s going on with the team, life as a rookie in the NBA, and as an avid movie-goer will even pass on some movie tips.

Entries:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally, I love how he keeps in touch with the children from that local elementary school.

Delonte was always very well-spoken in interviews and such. He is an artist and a great speaker/writer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I read them all the time.
Very good reads too.
He gets into detail about every little thing he does lol.
Glad to see he has something good to do with his time.

AJ

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
June 9, 2005

What's up everyone? I apologize it's been a long time since I talked to you all, but I needed some time after the playoffs… it's been a month now and I am still a little upset with how things ended. It's been hard – especially watching the Eastern Conference Finals between Detroit and Miami – I just feel like we really would have matched up well against the Pistons if we would have had a chance to play them in the second round. I really feel we could have beaten them in a seven game series… but I guess it wasn't meant to be this season. But I will watch the NBA Finals – you are going to see some good basketball between the Spurs and the Pistons. I think Detroit will win it all – they just have too much firepower and more scoring threats.

Recently I've been down in my hometown of Washington, D.C. working out with my high school coach, and in Philly working out at St. Joseph's. I'm back in Boston for a little bit working out with the Celtics trainers and assistant coaches, and plan on going back and forth during the off-season. After our playoffs ended, I took five days off without touching a basketball. I just enjoyed staying home and relaxing – something I don't get to do too much of. Then we went to Vegas with ‘Toine and my teammates to see the Winky Wright fight. ‘Toine took care of us rookies real good and paid for everything, which was nice. So, thanks ‘Toine! And then for Memorial Day weekend I went down to Miami with Perk, Al and Ricky for a little change in environment and to enjoy the nice weather.

But now it's back to business – since Thursday of last week I've been in the gym hard. Everyone on the team is still working hard. They young guys are all working out at home or up here, which is good news for the franchise and for our fans. Personally, there are a few things I am focused on this summer: shooting wise I want to work on my mid-range game. Most importantly, by the end of the summer I want to be as strong and comfortable going to my right as I am to my left. I also want to add some size, muscle and strength, but without bulking up too much. I have a solid plan for the summer, but the hardest part is getting to the gym. When you don't have a schedule, it is so easy to sleep in and not get up early. You have to discipline yourself and get to work early.

Coming home to D.C. as an NBA player was an interesting experience. People were used to seeing me as a good basketball player when I was younger in D.C., but now as an NBA player they assume you have unlimited money. I'm lucky that I roll with a tight circle that has been the same since the fourth grade, and always look out for my best interests. So they know what's going on and don't let me get into any trouble.

As for the rest of the summer, I have a few things going on other than working out hard. I am going to do a basketball camp in Jamaica at the end of the month. I am really excited about that because I have never been outside of the United States (except to play the Raptors up in Toronto, of course). And of course I will be watching the draft really close – my good buddy Eddie Basden is working out in Chicago right now, and I hope he is doing well with everything. Also, my former teammate Pat Carroll was in for a workout last week, so it was good to see him. I hope everything works out for both of them on draft night, and wish them both good luck.

I am really looking forward to Summer League, and getting out to Vegas again. It will be nice to play against some real competition – I mean, I can only defeat MJ so many times in these imaginary games. It's getting boring hitting the game winning shot over him every game! So playing in real games will be nice. And then my birthday is at the end of July (July 26th – I'll turn 22) – and every year I have a nice party to celebrate with all of my friends. So all in all, it should be a nice summer.

You know, when thinking about this season, I know that I wasn't able to play to my capability, which is why I am so excited to (hopefully) come in healthy this season. I really believe that injuries played into my psyche, because it is hard to convince yourself to reuse a limb you have broken that it has healed again, and that it is ok to go out and do all of the same physical activities as before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts