Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
That trade scenario sounds like it would work for all of the teams in question. The Celtics could use a veteran like Sam Cassell and if Chicago and the Sonics work themselves into the deal, as was stated, it could work for all of the clubs involved.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!
That trade scenario sounds like it would work for all of the teams in question. The Celtics could use a veteran like Sam Cassell and if Chicago and the Sonics work themselves into the deal, as was stated, it could work for all of the clubs involved.
Yeah every team would get something but I wish they would skip over step 4, and maybe let the celtics get those two guys.:D

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Chad Ford is an idiot!

C'mon, if Sam Cassell gets traded, it AIN'T gonna be for Eric Williams? Chad Ford thinks that the Bucks are going to trade Cassell AND a #1 pick for ERIC WILLIAMS? The Bucks will either trade Cassell for a good player (Eric Williams isn't a GOOD player, he's a MEDIOCRE player, and he's WAY OVERPAID) with a couple of years left on his contract, OR they'll trade him for a draft pick and an expiring contract or two, OR they'll just keep him for themselves and let his contract die a natural death. The Bucks AIN'T gonna take Eric Williams' contract off the Celtics' hands!

PEOPLE! Do NOT listen to Chad Ford! Sure, Sam Cassell is TOTALLY AVAILABLE, he can be had for NOT A LOT! But the Bucks are trying to DUMP PAYROLL, they're not trying to acquire mediocre players with bad contracts like Eric Williams!

Unless, of course, the Celtics were willing to take, say, Jason Caffey off their hands. Here's something that the Bucks would be willing to do:

Tony Delk, Eric Williams, and Shammond Williams to the Bucks; Sam Cassell and Jason Caffey to the Celtics

Of course, this means that the Celtics' first guard off the bench is... JR BREMER! And this would force the Celtics to start WALTER McCARTY at small forward (since Battie and Caffey would HAVE to come off the bench, which means that Walker would HAVE to start at PF, Baker would HAVE to start at C)! OUCH!

So fellas, I don't see the Celtics trading for Sam, sorry! Would the Bucks take Tony Delk and Shammond Williams for just Sam? NO! Why would they do that? And, again, why would the Celtics want to make JR BREMER their first guard off the bench?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I disagree RobyG

Would you rather have....

PG: Sam Cassel
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Walter McCarty
PF: Antione Walker
C: Vin Baker

or....

SF: Antione Walker
PF: Vin Baker
C: Tony Battie

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know all I know is that we will have a few problems next year but not many, and also rumor has it that the Celtics will give away two first rounders, since we don't need them as we are giving all the players away anyway.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>STING</b>!
I disagree RobyG

Would you rather have....

SF: Walter McCarty
PF: Antione Walker
C: Vin Baker

or....

SF: Antione Walker
PF: Vin Baker
C: Tony Battie
All I know is that if your first guard off the bench is JR BREMER WHO WASN'T EVEN DRAFTED, you're in trouble! If the Celtics trade Delk and Shammond Williams for Cassell--a trade that Milwaukee would turn down UNLESS Boston threw in a #1 pick--JR Bremer WILL be yr first guard off the bench.

And I have said it before and I will say it again, Baker starts at center, and Walker starts at power forward. If Battie starts at C (moving Baker to PF and Walker to SF), your first big guy off the bench is BRUNO SUNDOV! That's why you need Battie coming off the bench--Bruno Sundov DOESN'T NEED TO TOUCH THE FLOOR (he will, unfortunately, but you don't want him touching the floor very often)!

If the Celtics trade Shammond, Delk, and Eric Williams for Caffey and Cassell, here's your lineup:

PG Cassell
SG Pierce
SF McCarty
PF Walker
C Baker

Bench: Tony Battie, JR Bremer, Jason Caffey, Bruno Sundov

Terrible TERRIBLE depth!

If you DON'T do that trade, here's your lineup:

PG Shammond Williams
SG Pierce
SF Eric Williams
PF Walker
C Baker

Bench: Battie, Delk, McCarty, Bremer, Sundov

A SIGNIFICANTLY better bench! If your 7th man is JR Bremer and yr 8th man is Jason Caffey, you AIN'T gonna be GOOD! Which is why I don't see the Celtics trading for Cassell.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We don't need too, getting Hardaway would make more sense, and keeping another SF would make MUCH more sense.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>the_truth</b>!
We don't need too, getting Hardaway would make more sense, and keeping another SF would make MUCH more sense.
You DO know that Tim Hardaway is TERRIBLE, right? He will be lucky to find A SINGLE TAKER this offseason. Can the Celtics sign him to the veteran's minimum? SURE! That's all he's going to get from ANYBODY!

Hardaway is a chemistry killer at this point in his career. Just like Vin Baker. You guys better HOPE that the Celtics don't sign Tim Hardaway!

I think that, if they're going to sign a PG to a veteran's minimum deal, they need to go after Kevin Ollie. Ollie is a much better fit than Hardaway.

You know things have gotten pretty bad when signing Kevin Ollie to be your starting PG sounds like the best option! Right?

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!

You DO know that Tim Hardaway is TERRIBLE, right? He will be lucky to find A SINGLE TAKER this offseason. Can the Celtics sign him to the veteran's minimum? SURE! That's all he's going to get from ANYBODY!

Hardaway is a chemistry killer at this point in his career. Just like Vin Baker. You guys better HOPE that the Celtics don't sign Tim Hardaway!

I think that, if they're going to sign a PG to a veteran's minimum deal, they need to go after Kevin Ollie. Ollie is a much better fit than Hardaway.

You know things have gotten pretty bad when signing Kevin Ollie to be your starting PG sounds like the best option! Right?
You DO know that we don't have a lot of options!
You DO know that we don't wanna go over the cap!
You DO know that we need another SF!
You DO know that I am stoping this right now!

How can averaging 10 PPG while playing behind Nash be bad?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Roby G...

Hows this for a nice scenario

Celtics go through with the trade and get Sam Cassel filling in their need for a PG

Celtics sign free agent Eddie House which will possibly allow Paul Pierce to move back to SF
OR
Celtics sign Keon Clark to start at center, Vin Baker at PF, Atoine Walker at SF, Pierce at SG, and Cassel at PG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts