Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While many of us are anticipating the arival of a free-agent center this summer to turn this franchise around, the reality is not to many of the big name FAs are really gonna dramtically help us and will probably end up being overpayed and putting us at no more than mediocrity. Plus the centers in this years draft are rather lame or not true-centers so that option might as well be gone, unless you want another Hoffa. So I figured it may be best for this board to start discussing possible Centers for this team via trade. Now remember not any Center in the leauge can be had, especially nowadays where an elite player of that possition is hard to lose for a team , unless they meet a few certain criterias such as...
1. Don't want to play for their team no more.
2. Are overpaid and the team wouldn't mind giving up their contract.
3. Expiring Contract.
4.The team has a New Up and coming big man to fill the empty gap left.
5.Team is going through a rebuilding mode and wouldn't mind a few ping-pong balls.

So long story short we should start making a list/discussion on realistic scenarios which could give us the center we need and the possibilities of who they may be . For instance...

1.Ilgauskas
2.Jamaal Magloire
3.Sam Dalembert

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
good thread. i think the need for a centre is the grand illusion in today's nba. don't get me wrong, centres are absolutely important insofar as their size is concerned, but beyond that, i don't really feel the need to build our team around an all-league centre. at the end of the day, given our roster and the assets we already have on board, i'd be more inclined to focus on building an excellent complementary cast for chris around the perimeter and on the bench than spending time looking for a centre who's likely overrated, overpaid, and hard to acquire regardless.

i must be in the minority or something, but i'm not all that paranoid about filling specific positions. imo, we have our axis: chris bosh. finding the pieces that best fit around him is absolutely my chief concern now.

but that brings up another (relevant) point: rebounding. now, i have to admit that chris has shown some improvement in this department (imo) recently, but i still consider him to be rather weak on the boards- be it against a 7' centre or a 6'2 guard. i'm excited by v's potential there, but he also looks like a rebounder with a lot to learn. really, i think our best rebounders at the moment are our guards, and they're not even that special themselves- they're just decent. finding a quality centre to stick in the lineup would help in that area, and we certainly need the help, but i think the costs could easily outweigh the benefits. i don't know if the time, money and effort involved in finding a 'rebounder' would be well spent there.

i don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, but i think it's important to underline chris' future role on this team. i no longer consider myself among the fans coveting star talent for the raptors. i still can't tell the future, no, but chris bosh looks (to me) to be well on the road to achieving 'top 5' status in this league. it's important at this stage (provided i'm right about my projection for him- which is obviously no sure thing) to not do too many things that could jeopardize- just jeopardize- the health of the team overall. at this stage, i think i'd consider improving the team through, in order: our limited capspace; the draft; development from within; the trade market.

we're stockpiling assets at the moment, we have more than we've had in a long time, and with that usually comes a tendency to seek the big swap on the trade front. i understand that. but i see the value of such alternatives being illusory more often than not- and i think it's especially true when you're talking about centres in the nba. so i'd be careful... probably because i'm not all that worried about it right now. my primary criteria for a centre's skills to put alongside chris bosh is: an intimidating rebounder; an excellent free throw shooter. i really don't think finding someone to fit that profile is going to be very difficult. i think it's more likely that we find someone overqualified--- like an ilgauskas-type, or a magloire--- and that could get dangerous.

peace

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
All of these trades are for overpriced centres. Dalembert would be great if only his contract wasn't so damn huge. Ilgauskas is just too slow to play with a forward combo of Villy and Bosh. Magloire will be looking for 10 plus after next season.
It's always hard to disagree with Ballocks and it's the case here. Bosh is our man, I think CV is our number two. We need to build a team around their strengths and weaknesses. Both players can score, both like to set up outside, and their both young and fast. Their defence is somewhat sub-par as is their rebounding.
We don't need a star, we need a guy who can rebound, play defence and run the floor well. We don't need a star player or offensive wiz, a guy who's got good hands and can make a pass. I think this player is available in the draft and the more I see him, the more I think he would be a great compliment to Bosh and Villanueva. This centre is Hilton Armstrong, 2006 Big East defensive player of the year. Who some may think is a reach at our 5th or 6th pick, which is great because that means we could trade down and still get him.
IMO, I think he could put up 10, 10 and 2 within a few seasons. He's quick, strong, smart, has good hands, plays good defence, runs the floor and can make the pass.
What do you guys think of Armstrong?

·
Banned
597 Posts
Without a strong rebounding defensive centre, the Raptors will not make it to the playoffs... believe it ...!!!

That is the real missing piece to add to Bosh's game.

Also they will need a good veteran type centre for backup.

Araujo, Sow and Woods are not enough for the job and Davis is gone now.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
You need to spend money to make money.

QB's in the NFL are often over-priced, but championship contending teams all have all-league QB's.

Centers are over-payed in the NBA. It's the cost of doing business, anyone who is dilluted enough to think the Raps can some how do what no other NBA team has done and find a legit, starting center for undermarket value, needs to re-examine the trends of FA signing over the last 10 years.

people complain saying they don't like band-aid solutions for the teams they follow, and whether it's this off-season or next the Raps are going to need to address the issue of not having either a back-up or starting center that should be playing in the NBA. Signing a below average, over-the-hill vet for cheap is just band-aiding the position. The Raps need a center, they will for a long time and I'm sorry guys, but show me a good team with a cheap center. They're not out there, it's the way of the league. ***** and moan if you want, but 7-10 million of that cap space will be spent on a center, I just hope they get the best value for their money.

You gotta spend if you want quality, plain and simple.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
shookem said:
I'd also like to know, what these know-it-all NBA fans, think a far price for a center is?

Hmmm, find me an example of a center, who recently signed a contract, that you feel is priced properly.

Who are these centers? what teams do they play for? why did their agents sell them off for less than they could have?
Ben Wallace for 5 mil. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The 5 best teams in the NBA:

SanAntonio, Detroit, Miami, Dallas, and Phoenix.

Four of the 5 have very strong interior play with multiple legit C's. So to say it isn't necessary to be strong inside seems like a tough argument to defend.

Raps have been getting abused in the paint ever since AD and JYD left, and even before that they had no answer for the really good C's. But now even the mediocre to bad C's are killing them. And opposing guards have no fear of going into our lane at all. We just give up too many easy points in the paint to ever be a consistant winning team.

Who might be available that could help?

Kwame or Mihm from LAL
Mags or Gadz from MIL
Diop from DAL ?
Ely from CHA
Blount from MIN
Pryz or Theo from POR
Biedrins or Foyle from GS
Nazr or Nesterovich from SAS
Mbenga from DAL
LoWright from MEM

Only a few would really help because the Raps need both the length of reach for rebounding/shotblocking and the physical strength to not get backed down in the post. Plus enough mobility to rotate and recover and not be foul prone.

That usually costs you about 10 mill plus and teams don't move those guys.

I still think the priority should be Mags or Nazr/Rasho. If you can't get them then look at Kwame/Mihm or just go cheap with a Mbenga or someone to fill in for a year or two.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Similar to the old Chicago team that had Pippen and Grant as the two primary rebounders up front, all the Raps need is a Big man who has a good b-ball IQ, can box out(keep his own man of the glass), and block a shot or two per game.

Yes Toronto does not have an MJ....but they do have Chris and Charlie up front....that should be 18 plus rebounds per game. All the center needs to do is grab 6 or so and we would be set. Sow could be our guy if he were 2 inches taller and had 20 more pounds on him, but that is not going to happen. Will we have to overpay....I hope not! The only problem is there is not a player on the roster who will be able to step up....Sow is a hustler, but for 82 games is to undersized....Hoffa is nice and big, but just does not seen to fit with this team. Where do we go from there?

The guy I would like is Darko...nice and young, getting some pt in Orlando, and showing that he is a legit shot blocker. He has had some nice rebounding and scoring games as well. the problem is I don't see the Magic letting him go :cry:

After that I see players like Mihm, Chandler, Brendan Haywood, and maybe Gadzuric as good fits for this team....could we get any at a reasonable price? I have no idea, but I would not be unhappy if they showed up on our roster in the 06-07 season.

\

·
Registered
503 Posts
We shouldn't be looking at the obvious choices ... decent centers with massive contracts. That will only handicap us for the future and be stuck with a mediocre team. We need to look for diamonds in the rough that are tradeable. An example? David Harrison.

We've seen him play amazing against us back in 04 when he was a rookie. He hasn't seen much improvement in Indiana, so I think Indiana would be willing to trade him. We have the assetts to get him .... a package involving a sign-and-trade of Mike James could be an option.

·
STL4LIFE
5,817 Posts
offer nazr mohammad 5 years 30 mill
he ant worth in reality that much much the value for C's has vastly gone in salery, i.e Foyle 6 years 42 mill.

offering nazr 6 mill wont be so bad, and if we keep James, Bosh will be happy and if for the cap we cant fit a extension we can do one during the season.

If James stay's Bosh without a dout will be here for years.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I think Cheeks might be gone before Dalembert.

Kaman is the only C the Clips have, and they like him, but if they don't max him out this summer we could have a shot at him if we have the cap space the following summer. Could potentially force Clips to trade this summer if they won't pay up next year. Very unlikely he moves. Clips are finally getting better and have no way to replace him.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Interesting thread. I wonder what the Raptors would give up for a centre. There is no doubt the cap is going up (probably to $51-52 million) plus with a couple of expiring contracts, the Raptors should have some room to play. I don't think they need a top-flight centre, but I do think they need a centre who plays active defense and is good for 12-15 boards a night (plus creating space for others).

Off the top of my head, I like Sam Dalembaert (esp. since he's buried on the bench). He might come cheap (esp. since Billy King isn't exactly a genius). Yes, it's a terrible, terrible contract but overpaying should be a given.

I don't really like Pryzbilla. He always seemed to be not that good to me. Whoever mentioned Kwame Brown needs to shake their head to clear that ill-advised thought immediately (though the comedy value of Kwame Brown and Rudy Gay, possibly the 2 least motivated players ever, would be off the charts).

The Raptors should go after Dalembaert or Dan Gadzuric or David Harrison (excellent suggestion, by whever did it) via trade. Nazr Mohammed would be a nice pick-up for the right price as well. In any event, someone has to come in to help with defense and rebounding.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.