Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from an ESPN chat where you ask him a question:

Erin (Philadelphia): the whole nets rumor about them possibly gettings garnett... do you think that will acually happen? and if so, does this make the nets a better them than last years?

Chad Ford: I can't see it. The T-Wolves would have to take back about $20 million a year in bad contracts to make it happen. I don't think they have any interest in Van Horn or Kittles. I'm sure they like Keyon Martin, but the trade essentially becomes a Kenyon for KG swap. Keep dreaming. I think the only team that could pull off a legit trade for KG is the Bulls. If they offered Jalen Rose, Jamal Crawford, Marcus Fizer and Eddie Robinson, I think the T-Wolves would have a hard time saying no to that.

link-
http://dynamic.espn.go.com/espn/chat/chatESPN?event_id=2128

he is a moron if he thinks we're gonna give up our WHOLE team for KG

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well he had to include Rose and Robinson for their salaries. I took as more of a backhanded compliment. He is seeing only the positive side of it and not what we lose. He feels that Stars win in the NBA and Garnett is a bigger one than Rose so it must be good. Although exciting to see on paper I doubt this lineup would blow people away next year. If added some good FA's to fill in the monster holes we have at SG/ backup PG and PF maybe.

JWilliams Mason
Hassell Hoiberg
Garnett
Chandler Baxter
Curry Blount Bagaric

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I think if the Bulls offered that, it would be foolish of Minnesota to accept.

The Bulls would be giving up Rose and that is about it in the deal and still have young guys to surround KG with at every position. Robinson, Fizer, Crawford are bench players at this point on one of the worst teams in the NBA.

The future may be rough when it comes time to resign people, but I think KG knows he isn't getting anything liek his current contract next go around.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ABull
Well he had to include Rose and Robinson for their salaries. I took as more of a backhanded compliment. He is seeing only the positive side of it and not what we lose. He feels that Stars win in the NBA and Garnett is a bigger one than Rose so it must be good. Although exciting to see on paper I doubt this lineup would blow people away next year. If added some good FA's to fill in the monster holes we have at SG/ backup PG and PF maybe.

JWilliams Mason
Hassell Hoiberg
Garnett
Chandler Baxter
Curry Blount Bagaric

I dont know about Garnett being able to CONSISTNTLY play SF.. he is more of a PF in my book

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Originally posted by BCH

The Bulls would be giving up Rose and that is about it in the deal and still have young guys to surround KG with at every position. Robinson, Fizer, Crawford are bench players at this point on one of the worst teams in the NBA.

The future may be rough when it comes time to resign people, but I think KG knows he isn't getting anything liek his current contract next go around.
There are about 18 mods ready to swoop on me for saying this but: Fizer could start for a lot of teams in the league. He'd certainly start for the Wizards at 4...

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
He consistently played SF all of last season, putting up 21/12/5 and 39 minutes a game.

He is a freak.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Originally posted by gettinbranded

There are about 18 mods ready to swoop on me for saying this but: Fizer could start for a lot of teams in the league. He'd certainly start for the Wizards at 4...
I dont think anyone is going to jump all over you for that comment besides the fact that it is a little off topic. he is not starting ahead of Joe Smith in Minnesota or Chandler in Chicago.

He would not start ahead of Brown or Thomas in DC either. You can try and bring up stats but the same would apply to Chicago. What hurts him the most is his poor defense and his inability to pass and handle the ball. He would be a poor fit in DC for those very reasons, and that is why he has been touted by BC as a 6th man and not as a potential starter, even though he was the 4th selection in the draft.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Man, talk about a NO BRAINER???

Originally posted by BCH

Like you said, KG, Chandler, Curry, jay Williams, Hassell, Baxter,......wow...I know i left some Bulls out, but I would jump all over that as a Bulls owner! No way the wolves would give up KG for that.:no:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I don't even think it is an off topic..

Originally posted by BCH

I dont think anyone is going to jump all over you for that comment besides the fact that it is a little off topic. he is not starting ahead of Joe Smith in Minnesota or Chandler in Chicago.

He would not start ahead of Brown or Thomas in DC either. You can try and bring up stats but the same would apply to Chicago. What hurts him the most is his poor defense and his inability to pass and handle the ball. He would be a poor fit in DC for those very reasons, and that is why he has been touted by BC as a 6th man and not as a potential starter, even though he was the 4th selection in the draft.
He was merely responding to your statement of erob fizer and crawford being bench players. :grinning:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by gettinbranded

He'd start for the Wizards? *We don't need these type of comments here.- KC Fizer couldn't take a starting spot from neither Oakley or Chandler...not exactly elite NBA power forwards. Even poor laetner made Fizer look like a fool this year.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Re: I don't even think it is an off topic..

Originally posted by BamaBull

He was merely responding to your statement of erob fizer and crawford being bench players. :grinning:
It looks quite feasible to me that they are bench players.

Given our current team, I'd prefer a starting lineup of Curry, Chandler, Rose, Hassell, JWill.... which makes those guys bench players.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I don't think either team should do this but it's not that ridiculous. I did take it as a backhanded complement. Saying NJ's players aren't interesting but the Bulls players are. Minny would have:

PG - Brandon/Crawford
SG - Wally/Peeler
SF -Rose/Robinson
C - Nesterovich/Woods/Jackson
PF - Smith/Fizer/Trent

That team is deeper then what they have. Sure, Garnett is a lot better than what the Bulls are offering but it does offer them a chance to get rid of such a huge contract and make it someone else's problem.

However, I don't think the Wolves should trade KG and I don't think the Bulls should trade Rose so I'm not for it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am not even going to begin trying to argue that this is a good deal for Minnesota in terms of the here and now; as a Bulls fan I would be laughing my tail off if such a deal went down.

However, it seems to me that the entire basis for such a trade is essentially Minnesota getting the opportunity to get their salary situation under control. Therefore, it seems to me that they would not have an expectation that they get a 1:1 talent ratio in return.

In this deal, the T-Wolves would be getting a bonafide star level player in Rose, and 3 young players who many would argue still have every opportunity to "breakout".

Asssuming that the objectives are

1). Minnesota gets the opportunity to get into a better salary situation.
2). Minnesota still gets to to field a "respectable" starting line-up in the short term
3). The trade CLEARLY makes since for the other team (i.e. no Kobe + filler for KG since many would argue that this may not necessarily make a lot of sense for LA)

BCH (or anyone else for that matter), what do you think would be a more reasonable deal?

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Any deal for Garnett would have to include Chandler or Curry in the mix, as well as Rose.

Rose is a good player, though I don't think he has ever been an All-Star (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong). He is not a superstar. KG is a Super Star.

I would think Rose, Chandler, Crawford, Robinson would be about fair in terms of giving Minnesota something to think about. It is still not fair in terms of talent, because KG is a superstar that are almost impossible to replace.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by BCH
Any deal for Garnett would have to include Chandler or Curry in the mix, as well as Rose.

Rose is a good player, though I don't think he has ever been an All-Star (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong). He is not a superstar. KG is a Super Star.

I would think Rose, Chandler, Crawford, Robinson would be about fair in terms of giving Minnesota something to think about. It is still not fair in terms of talent, because KG is a superstar that are almost impossible to replace.
Of course, that kind of requirement would mean the Bulls would have no part of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I didn't refer to Rose as an All-Star or a Superstar; I said he was a star player, and I believe that is a fair assessment.

I do not believe that JK would consider giving up TC in this deal, so IMO, your proposed scenario does not meet the third objective.

Again, you are shooting for something a little closer to a 1:1 talent ratio (both realized and potential of course), and I don't get the sense that Minnesota would be as worried about that as they would about getting back to reality with their salary situation.

I should also add that IMO, right after Satan has his throne of ice installed, we could probably all expect the firing or resignation of Kevin McHale to occur right after this trade (or any comparable trade).

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I think Portland is one of the only teams that can make a deal with Minnesota. Sure, New York and Dallas have high paid players but I just don't think they can work anything out talent-wise.

Portland can trade Derek Anderson and Rasheed Wallace for KG straight up. Next season Pippen's contract will be off the books and Kemp only has 1 year after that. They can keep Bonzi and have a line-up of Damon/Bonzi/Pippen/Davis/Garnett with Patterson, Woods, Kemp, Kerr off the bench.

The Wolves would have Brandon/Anderson/Wally/Nesterovich/Wallace. The fans of Minnesota might not like it but Portland is one of the few teams that can make it work. And Wallace is an all-star and Anderson adds another good player.

When dealing with KG there are very few things that can be done that would satisfy the CBA AND replace him as a star and ticket draw.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I'm not going into detail here because between several boards, the whole KG topic has been done to death.

KG is a fine player, one of the leagues top players, but he is NOWHERE near his salary, which is a major factor no one is considering in this trade.

Whatever team takes KG better damn well have almost every piece in place because he will significantly hamper the team's ability to get better. Hell, just look at the Minny situation. He cost them so much that they tried to make deals under the table with Joe Smith after the new CBA was going to come into play.

On top of that, he thinks he is God's gift to basketball. Anyone who is going to make such a self-serving commerical like his And1 Interrogation commercial doesn't care about winning. He cares about himself.

When his contract is up, what does he get (re)signed for?

He just isn't worth it and doesn't make sense for the Bull's bottom line.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by RetroDreams

When his contract is up, what does he get (re)signed for?

He just isn't worth it and doesn't make sense for the Bull's bottom line.
KG clearly believes he is worth his money. So any team that trades for him is going to have a gun pointed at their head when his contract is up. Don't be surprised if he takes off and goes to another team as a free agent. I would much rather him come to the Bulls then leave the Bulls. :>

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
He obviously has enough $$$.....so

Originally posted by johnston797

KG clearly believes he is worth his money. So any team that trades for him is going to have a gun pointed at their head when his contract is up. Don't be surprised if he takes off and goes to another team as a free agent. I would much rather him come to the Bulls then leave the Bulls. :>
IF he does leave the wolves, he will do what jordan did with the wiz's, in a way. He will sign with a team that can afford whatever they can for him, plus have a legitimate shot at the title(This was not Jordans plan, I do not think). All he needs now is a ring. Something he will NEVER get in Minnesota. I wonder how he would fit with duncan after the admiral retires? hmmmm. Or with the Lakers.....with the money he already has, he could just pick the team with the best shot at it. No?:yes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts