Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His Insider article says Atlanta likes Paul in the draft, because they feel they can sign Dalembert this summer. I'm just summarizing what was in the article.

Chad Ford in the past has proven he is a moron, so maybe this is a sign we WON'T draft Paul and we WON't sign Dalembert.

If we get the #3 or #4 pick, like I'm expecting, Chris Paul would not be a bad selection in that range. The trouble seems to be that the consensus is now that Chris Paul will go back to school for one more year. However, I would not mind Dalembert one bit. Has not been very productive, so his value would be lower than a guy like Eddy Curry. Plus, he actually isn't fat, lazy, and plays defense.

It is a little troubling that Chris Paul gets all the hype, but admist all these amazing NCAA games, he is at home sitting watching just like I am. Deron Williams and Raymond Felton may jump ahead of Paul if he goes back to school. Both figure to be pure passers, something Paul is not, which fits in good with the Hawks fast paced offense.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I think the good news is that Atlanta has a lot of options for the near future. They can go small (Paul?, Deron, Felton) or big (Bogut, Martynas, Taft, Splitter, etc) in this draft.

I think this would be a good realistic scenario for the Hawks:

2005 draft:
1st rounder - select best big man available (Bogut, Taft, Splitter, Vazquez, not Martynas, you'll see in a moment - etc.)
2nd rounder - select PG/SG Daniel Ewing

2005 summer free agency:
sign Samuel Dalembert to 6-year/$40?m deal
sign Brevin Knight or Earl Watson to 1-year/$4-5m deal
sign Marcus Fizer, Malik Allen(?), or Niko Tskitishvili(?) to 1-year/$1-2m deal

'05-'06 Hawks:

(Knight or Watson)/Delk/Ewing
Childress/Ivey
Josh Smith/Diaw/Donta Smith
Harrington/(Bogut, Taft, Tiago)/(Fizer, Allen, Niko)
Dalembert/Drobjnak/Collier

This team would likely yield a late-lotto or mid-first round pick. There, they should be able to pick up a solid PG in 2006 (Rodriguez, Gibson, Marcus Williams, Guillermo Diaz, etc) to complete their young starting core.

Reactions: ATLien

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
i think paul would be a really good pick for the hawks. draft paul, take a guy that can make an impact in the 2nd, and then sign swift, chandler, or dalembert.

pg - chris paul
sg - josh childress
sf - josh smith
pf - al harrington
c - free agent

that looks like a solid starting lineup for a long time and then they could focus on building their bench.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RebelSun said:
I think the good news is that Atlanta has a lot of options for the near future. They can go small (Paul?, Deron, Felton) or big (Bogut, Martynas, Taft, Splitter, etc) in this draft.

I think this would be a good realistic scenario for the Hawks:

2005 draft:
1st rounder - select best big man available (Bogut, Taft, Splitter, Vazquez, not Martynas, you'll see in a moment - etc.)
2nd rounder - select PG/SG Daniel Ewing

2005 summer free agency:
sign Samuel Dalembert to 6-year/$40?m deal
sign Brevin Knight or Earl Watson to 1-year/$4-5m deal
sign Marcus Fizer, Malik Allen(?), or Niko Tskitishvili(?) to 1-year/$1-2m deal

'05-'06 Hawks:

(Knight or Watson)/Delk/Ewing
Childress/Ivey
Josh Smith/Diaw/Donta Smith
Harrington/(Bogut, Taft, Tiago)/(Fizer, Allen, Niko)
Dalembert/Drobjnak/Collier

This team would likely yield a late-lotto or mid-first round pick. There, they should be able to pick up a solid PG in 2006 (Rodriguez, Gibson, Marcus Williams, Guillermo Diaz, etc) to complete their young starting core.
I like that draft alot, except I don't think Bogut is quick/athletic enough to play Forward. He seems like a Center-only kind of player to me. And I am not too high on the Daniel Ewing pick, either. I wonder if after a disappointing Mickey D outing for Monta Ellis, if he would drop to our second round pick. That would be shaweeeet.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rocketeer said:
i think paul would be a really good pick for the hawks. draft paul, take a guy that can make an impact in the 2nd, and then sign swift, chandler, or dalembert.

pg - chris paul
sg - josh childress
sf - josh smith
pf - al harrington
c - free agent

that looks like a solid starting lineup for a long time and then they could focus on building their bench.
I like this idea, too. People have called Chris Paul a weak defender, but offensively I think he is just as good as Martbury was when he came out of college. Tyson Chandler, Samuel Dalembert, and Eddy Curry are the best FA Centers. I think I would prefer Dalembert. Curry gives you nothing but scoring, and I like Chandler but his back is always getting hurt.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Atlanta should draft Bogut if it gets the chance. Dalembert doesn't always play great, Curry has no effort if he doesn't have the ball, and Chandler is more of a PF. True 7 foot centers are hard to come by.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I want Chris Paul to declare to make the draft deeper and to push some players down, but I really think he'll go back to Wake Forest for a year.

Some may not think so, but sitting on the bench for the last big part of that double overttime game probably killed him.. and he would definetly want to do it again. Also he promised his grandfather he would get a three year degree, but he could do that while in the pros.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts