Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In this ESPN Insider article, Chad Ford calls again for a trade of Jason Kidd to San Antonio for Tony Parker, Ron Mercer and Robert Horry. His argument for the Nets doing this is that they might be able to win the East this year with Kidd, but their run would be finished after that, not being able to re-sign K-Mart or keep Jefferson and Collins after next year. He compares them to the Pacers after they reached the finals, trading Antonio Davis for Bender and (a year later) Dale Davis for O'Neal, ending their run at the time, but putting them in position to compete now for the next several years.

I can't copy any of that article here (click the link above if you have Insider), but here is what he said in his chat today:

Nick (Detroit): hey Chad, do u think the nets are better off if they trade Jason Kidd?

Chad Ford: (12:32 PM ET ) Yes and no. In the short run, the team would take a hit if they traded him away for a player like Tony Parker. In the long term, I think they'd be better off making a trade like that. Parker is 10 years younger and has a ton of talent. The cap savings the Nets would get would allow them to resign Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson and Jason Collins without incuring the luxury tax (that's a big deal to the Nets). In a couple of years, I think they'd be competiting for the title again, but with a much larger window to get it done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keith (San Luis Obispo, CA): Chad, I like your suggested Kidd trade from the Jersey standpoint - but you didn't address whether the Spurs would do it. I don't think so - because taking Kidd's contract would then certainly lose them Ginobili. Signing Kidd last summer allows them to keep Parker/Ginobili (or trade them for help); trading for Kidd now loses them both - I don't think they'd do it.

Chad Ford: (12:34 PM ET ) It's a bigger gamble for San Antonio. But they want to keep winning championships and a Kidd-Duncan combo, regardless of the supporting cast, should get them to the promised land. Kidd has another two or three good season left. That's worth the loss of Parker and even Ginobili (though that wouldn't be a foregone conclusion if they traded for Kidd).
Of course, the Kidd for Parker, Mercer and Horry doesn't work salary-wise.

I'd love a good analysis of the Nets future salaries, and whether or not they can keep Kidd, Martin and Jefferson. Collins is not an issue for me, as it is for Ford.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I have some time this weekend, I plan on sitting down and trying to project what they can pay those guys.

Anyone know who is a salary cap expert on these boards?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!
If I have some time this weekend, I plan on sitting down and trying to project what they can pay those guys.

Try contacting NCBullsFan.

some of his work

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!

NCBullsFan is pretty much the authority. You can leave a question on the Salaries board and he's usually back to it pretty quick.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>MJG</b>!

NCBullsFan is pretty much the authority. You can leave a question on the Salaries board and he's usually back to it pretty quick.
Cool. Thanks (you too NYC). I was just checking that board out as you were writing that. I'll probably be posting some questions on there this weekend.

I've become pretty attached to this team over the last 2 1/2 years, and it would be hard to see one of those 3 go elsewhere. Kittles too.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I never wanted to admit this but what Chad Ford said in this article, I've thought about it since before Kidd resigned with the Nets: The swapping of Kidd and Parker gives the Spurs better chance to repeat and the Nets a better 'core of the future'.

My reason? It is the same with what Chad has said, that no matter what the Nets do in next couple of years, chances are they are not going to get anyone who could bring them over the top, and we all agreed Kidd's window is shrinking fast.

I'm pretty sure the suggested trade works cap-wise, with Kidd earning nearly 13 millions equals to Parker's 1 m + Mercer's 7m + Horry's 5m.

Personally, I like both possibilities, with a tiny advantage goes to Kidd-Duncan pairing, because Duncan happens to be one of my 3 most favorite players in this league.

:p

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PSUmtj112</b>!
Can someone explain to me why the Nets cannot keep Kidd, Martin, and Jefferson?
They can. But the main problem is with Kidd. He is signed another 6 years but generally a player will start to slow down at age 33, 34. The Nets will have big money tied up to him (and RJ and KMart) when he was 35 or 36 and playing like an old man. Unless you believe RJ and KMart can become top stars in this league and bring us glory with help from an old-man Kidd, you don't want to commit that much to them. Just look at the Blazers' last two years. They definitely hoped Pippen wasn't there with his nearly $40m combined salaries in those years.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
i believe Kenyon will be traded...he needs to be someone elses problem is their thinking....In my view.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
KMart wont stay, I thought that was a given to everyone. That being said, I dont see the Nets doing this trade. Parker is a great tallent, but whos to say if he'll resign with them? If he doesnt, then the trade is for a washed up player and another overpaid sg for Kidd. Doesnt make too much sence to me. Also, the Pacers traded away two guys on the end half of their career, I dont see how Chad Ford finds that comparable.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!
KMart wont stay, I thought that was a given to everyone.
There hasn't been much of an indication of that. I don't know where you got it from.

Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!Also, the Pacers traded away two guys on the end half of their career, I dont see how Chad Ford finds that comparable.
Antonio Davis was only 30 at the time. Kidd turns 31 in March. However, when you compare skill level, and value to the team, Davis and Davis don't compare to Kidd.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!
KMart wont stay, I thought that was a given to everyone. That being said, I dont see the Nets doing this trade. Parker is a great tallent, but whos to say if he'll resign with them? If he doesnt, then the trade is for a washed up player and another overpaid sg for Kidd. Doesnt make too much sence to me. Also, the Pacers traded away two guys on the end half of their career, I dont see how Chad Ford finds that comparable.
Now that new ownership is in place, I'd think the new owners would like to make a splash their banner year in Brooklyn (if that happens). If so, I think they will match KMart. He is a RFA. Think he will get a better deal then Brand? I don't.

In part Fords thinking is Parker and then resigning Martin. Mercer is a FA, and Horry has a team option.

-Petey

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Hey guys, I read the article too, and my initial response was that the Nets would be crazy to do this, but the more I think about the future of the franchise, I think it may be good. I heard that should the Nets move to Brooklyn, it would be for at least another year or two, and by that time, Kidd will definitely be declining. I think maybe pulling this trade off will give them a better team to field for their inaugural season in Brooklyn. I don't know how much they want to keep Kenyon and RJ, but if they do, I'm afraid Kidd may be gone.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!

I sometimes confused these two but based on the pictures, they are different...:D
Come to think of it, Ive never seen both of them hold one of their horrible chats at the same time.

Hmmmm...interesting.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Marc Stein
Thinks "Byron NEVER got his just due in Jersey."

Chad Ford
Thinks the Nets should trade Jason Kidd for Tony Parker and a couple of guys that will not be around next year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts