Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek:

On espn.com Chad Ford makes a good point about the 4 being Shareef's natural position and there's just too much clutter up front now. He proposes another whopper of a trade (paraphrased):

"Is anyone else concerned that Portland's three best players all play the same position--power forward?.....you're surprised it took me this long to propose another trade for the Blazers. Right? Well why settle for dumping half of the bad eggs? Is there any way Nash can now package Randolph and Stoudamire or Dale Davis and Patterson for a decent point guard and even more cap space? Before firing off those nasty emails, Blazers Fans, lets all admit that Randolph has been fatally exposed to too much Blazer-itis. He's showing all the symptoms, and despite his great scoring and rebounding numbers, he's among the laziest defenders in the league and can't pass out of a double team. Mark some of this down to immaturity, but also realize that some guys never outgrow that. Why not trade him while he's hot? Abdur-Rahim is better at the four anyway.

How do you do it? Thought you'd never ask. What about this? Why don't the Blazers get on the phone with the Rockets and 76'ers and get this trade done: Portland sends Randolph, Woods, and Patterson to the Rockets and Davis and Stoudamire to the 76'ers. Philadelphia sends Eric Snow to Houston and Glenn Robinson and Aaron Mckie to Portland. Houston sends Steve Francis and Eric Piatkowski to Portland."

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Bah humbug! I hate that trade. Let's keep the guys together for awhile and see how things turn out. If we do pull off a trade, I think Nash can come up with something better than what Ford is proposing.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

he's not our 3rd best player
Maybe he means Darius Miles.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!
Maybe he means Darius Miles.
Then, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Do you want Glenn Robinson to be on your team? man, poor Shareef... he got traded to Portland just to play with him again? If Robinson is traded to Portland, now I know why Shareef is always losing. He is always in bad luck.

Anyway, that is a stupid trade proposal by Chad Ford. I'd rather have Darius Miles who doesn't score much but play D rather than Glenn Robinson.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Ratliff is a PF, yes, and he is our third best player.

He's only the #1 shotblocker in the NBA. And a former All Star. Can anyone else on our team claim that?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RSP83</b>!
Anyway, that is a stupid trade proposal by Chad Ford. I'd rather have Darius Miles who doesn't score much but play D rather than Glenn Robinson.
The trade Ford suggested never had Miles going anywhere. In fact, I'd say this trade gives Miles a clearer longterm role for the Blazers, since currently Abdur-Rahim and Randolph seem penciled in as longterm starters in the frontcourt. I don't think I'm the only one that's skeptical that a Shareef/Randolph frontcourt won't work very well longterm, especially defensively. While Robinson would probably receive a bulk of minutes the next year and a half at Miles' expense, he'd clearly be out of Portland after next season. Not to mention he majorly addresses outside-shooting needs for the short-term.

I think Ford's trade would definately help Portland and Houston, although I'm not sure Philadelphia would do it. They clear a little longterm salary in moving Snow and McKie, but nowhere near enough to be active in free agency for years.

You don't think a lineup of:
Francis/Cook
Anderson/McKie/Piatkowski
Robinson/Miles/Piatkowski
Abdur-Rahim/Miles
Ratliff/Stepania

and a longterm lineup (2005-) of:
Francis/?/Miles/Abdur-Rahim/Ratliff

is better than what the Blazers currently have? It would give the Blazers balance of having an elite-scorer in the backcourt and an elite-scorer in the frontcourt. With two-picks in the teens still, a SG and possibly a center-prospect can be locked up as well.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Wait a second -

Portland's supposed to trade Randolph because of his defensive liabilities, and in return they get Glenn Robinson?

That's a step DOWN defensively, not up.

Just say no to the Big Dog!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Z-Bo's going nowhere. Any trade rumor with him involved is just plain silly.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
Wait a second -

Portland's supposed to trade Randolph because of his defensive liabilities, and in return they get Glenn Robinson?

That's a step DOWN defensively, not up.

Just say no to the Big Dog!
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
The point of the deal is NOT Big Dog. It's Steve Francis. Robinson is just filler to make the deal work.

Getting Steve Francis and clearing out RP's contract? I'm interested, definitely. Maybe even at the cost of ZR.

Ed O.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts