Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link

Has him rated as the most disappointing rookie.

Followed by:
Jackson, Luke
Humprhries, Kris
Snyder, Kirk
Livingston, Sean

I think the list is agreeable, but what I have noticed from reading the Raptor box scores in the morning especially as of late, his minutes are in flux. One game has gets backup minutes, where the next he gets 12th man minutes.

-Petey

Reactions: Lakerman33

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Budweiser_Boy said:
My take on Chad Ford:

Most idiotic journalist. Right up there with Sam Smith, Stephen A. Smith, Doug Smith, and ----------.
Everyone's list is subjective. What do you think about Araujo's rookie year so far?

-Petey

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
I won't deny he's disappointed, especially with his inconsistency. But playing and showing glimpses like he's done is better than not playing at all, which is what Shaun Livingston and especially Luke Jackson have done.

And while Araujo doesn't show up big on the stat sheet, he has intangibles that have the potential to a long way in this league. Not to mention he's already done wonders for Bosh's rebounding game (just check his numbers before and after Araujo was in the lineup), which anyone closely following the Raptors could tell you.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Budweiser_Boy said:
I won't deny he's disappointed, especially with his inconsistency. But playing and showing glimpses like he's done is better than not playing at all, which is what Shaun Livingston and especially Luke Jackson have done.

And while Araujo doesn't show up big on the stat sheet, he has intangibles that have the potential to a long way in this league. Not to mention he's already done wonders for Bosh's rebounding game (just check his numbers before and after Araujo was in the lineup), which anyone closely following the Raptors could tell you.
Or Robert Swift, a big drafted pretty close...

He was drafted pretty high, with the 8th pick you want more stats, and production than intangibiles. You can at times find those guys for the LLE.

-Petey

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Petey said:
Has him rated as the most disappointing rookie.
...deservedly so. He shouldn't have been selected that high. I thought he was going to be a 6'11 Jahidi White before the draft, and I'm not sure he can even be that.

Jackson and Livingston have been bothered by injuries this year. I think Snyder and Humphries have been disappointing, however.

Reactions: Petey

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Budweiser_Boy said:
My take on Chad Ford:

Most idiotic journalist. Right up there with Sam Smith, Stephen A. Smith, Doug Smith, and Dave Feschuk.

CHAD FORD= :spam:

Reactions: Petey

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I would be nice to see a bit more production out of Hoffa this year, but it is the next two years that I will be looking at. I don't ever see big scoring numbers out of him, nore do I see him blocking more than one shot per game. What I do see is solid positional defence, good rebounding, better than average passer and great screen setting. If he can bring that then I am happy with the pick and will consider it not wasted at number 8.

Next season will see more consistant playing time, with that we will see a better Hoffa on the court.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
you guys need to relax...look at some of the best centers out right now....ie Magloire and Brad Miller....what were there stats like when they frist entered the league....lets take a look
Magloire: in 14.8 minutes 4.6 ppg, 4.00 rpg, .450 fg%,
Miller in 12.3 mins 6.3 ppg, 3.10 rpg 565 fg %,
Araujo in 12.6 mins, 3.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, .418 fg %

now for those of you that argue that he was a top 10 pick, that is insignificant, because our GM Rob Babcock said that we draft in term of needs, so what did we need the most? a big center to clog up the lane for bosh to do his work...i agree we expected a little more from Hoffa, but when he pans out..he will be exactly what we needed in this draft and we got it...so give the guys a few seasons (1-2) before u call him a bust..

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Yup, and also we have our front court set for the next 5-10 years. Does it need depth? Oh for sure. But as we've already seen glimpses of this year, Bosh and Araujo combined have the potential to be a very efficient big man combo.

I'd much rather have that security in place, than not only have Bosh play another year at center, but also look at the centers coming out in this year's draft. Other than Bogut, it's not very good. We did the right thing, even though it's not fully paying off right now. People need to think long term.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Araujo is far from a finished product, and it's obviously way to early to start screaming bust, but I'd put him #1 on a list of draft disappointments too. Who else would go before him????

the Livingston pick is the one that seems strange. He looked impressive. I'd still rather have him than anyone picked after him

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Personally I'd put Luke Jackson first, then have some guys like Pavel Podkolzine and Kris Humphries in there.

For the minutes he gets, Hoffa's production isn't even really that bad. He's averaging 7/7 in 24 minutes (along with about six fouls...).

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Podzkolzine went like 20th. Swift is a skinny highschool center

Humphries I guess would be ok. And Jackson.

Humpries is like 6/5 if you double his minutes to 22 though. Close to hoffa. Hoffa has at least shown signs though. Not sure about humphries. I only saw him once, and the announcers kept making fun of him. Said Sloan would eventually kill him (literally) because he was showboating and not playing his role (I remember he had a reputation for his attitude in college too)

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ansoncarter said:
Podzkolzine went like 20th. Swift is a skinny highschool center

Humphries I guess would be ok. And Jackson.

Humpries is like 6/5 if you double his minutes to 22 though. Close to hoffa. Hoffa has at least shown signs though. Not sure about humphries. I only saw him once, and the announcers kept making fun of him. Said Sloan would eventually kill him (literally) because he was showboating and not playing his role (I remember he had a reputation for his attitude in college too)
Yeah, hard to put Podzkolzine when he went so low, and people didn't expect much from Swift.

Jackson? Yeah, he was supposed to really be able to step in this year, and provide some help to James.

-Petey

·
Registered
942 Posts
ansoncarter said:
Araujo is far from a finished product, and it's obviously way to early to start screaming bust, but I'd put him #1 on a list of draft disappointments too. Who else would go before him????

the Livingston pick is the one that seems strange. He looked impressive. I'd still rather have him than anyone picked after him

Araujo is not a finished product, but his upside is very little. We should've have drafted Andris Biedrins instead, he is playing just as well as Araujo, if not better. He is also 5 years younger than Araujo with far more upside.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
osman said:
Araujo is not a finished product, but his upside is very little. We should've have drafted Andris Biedrins instead, he is playing just as well as Araujo, if not better. He is also 5 years younger than Araujo with far more upside.
He's not a C, he's a PF.
No point of having him hide behind Bosh IMO.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Personally I think it's a stupid question to ask.

I think it can be answered, because you can have expectations for someone in their first year, to see if there stats or performance is disappoinitng. (and Araujo would be high on that list, but it is a stupid list that has little significance_

But you cannot say a pick was disappointing until you give it two or three years.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
osman said:
Actually he's played C for the Warriors in limited minutes.
Biedrins wouldn't be able to play at the 5 for us at a consistant basis and that's all there is to it. He's about 240 pounds, for someone at about 7`0, that's too thin IMO. Bosh is strong for his size, but he gets overpowered by other big men in the league.
Other teams' big men would be having a field day against us on the offensive end if we had ended up drafting Biedrins and forced him to play the 5.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts