Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
UMBC fan
4,243 Posts
If UMBC can't be in this thing, I couldn't hand pick two better teams to duel it out than UML and Hartford. I've never been huge on Gallagher, but the Hartford program has earned this home championship game, particularly after the heartbreak last year. This UML run has been the perfect summation of 'March,' and beating three good basketball teams in a week's time is the most impressive AE Tourney run in a long time.

Should be fun! Put on a show on the deuce!

·
Registered
786 Posts
If life was fair, which it isn’t always, every rabid college fan would get to experience their team going to the Dance at least once. When I was In school, I remember thinking all I want is to get to see Vermont get in once and I’ll be happy. When Hehn hit that baseline jumper in 2003 and we got to storm the court at Case Gym, I checked that off my bucket list. All the other trips to the tournament, the NITs, the CBIs, the Syracuse thing, all has been gravy.

In this league, we have 5 teams out of 10 that have never made it once. Three of those have been around for a long time. Which is why I’ll probably be pulling for Hartford next week. It would be great if UNH and Maine could get in at some point. And eventually Lowell and NJIT as well. But I think I have to go old school in this next game.

Regardless, it will be a great day for one of the fan bases.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Who picked this final? UNH went 4-2 this year against the two team in the title game and hopefully someday UNH can get to the dance. Good luck to both teams. I think Hartford wins but Lowell seems to be a team of destiny it should be a fun final.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Good luck to both teams...kind of fun to see 2 different teams in the title game.

Reactions: c00per

·
Registered
606 Posts
I entered U of H as a freshman in 1985 when guys like Marvin Powell, Mark Mitchell and Ulysses Garcia were playing in-conference games against teams like Siena, Colgate and Niagara. I joined this board in 2003 and I don't post as much as I used to because I always have issues logging in (like this morning). The Hawks have been picked to win the conference before, have made it to the championship game and have played in other post season tournaments. I don't want to jinx anything but I have been waiting for an NCAA tournament appearance for a LONG time. It took Gallagher a few years but in all fairness he took over a pretty unimpressive program and finally has the Hawks playing good basketball consistently over the last 4 seasons which is no easy feat considering the graduations and turnover he has had. His enthusiasm is infectious and his players love him which is half the battle. He lost some pretty legit recruits in the last 5 years through bad luck or he may have gotten to the championship game sooner. I know his antics can rile opposing fans but if he were to leave Hartford, I'm not sure we could do any better... he always seems to outperform where the Hawks are picked to finish every year.

Good luck to Gallagher and the Hawks this weekend!

·
Premium Member
33,655 Posts
Sucks for both of these schools to be in a championship game and unable to watch in-person, in particular for UMass-Lowell fans as it’s their first appearance.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I entered U of H as a freshman in 1985 when guys like Marvin Powell, Mark Mitchell and Ulysses Garcia were playing in-conference games against teams like Siena, Colgate and Niagara. I joined this board in 2003 and I don't post as much as I used to because I always have issues logging in (like this morning). The Hawks have been picked to win the conference before, have made it to the championship game and have played in other post season tournaments. I don't want to jinx anything but I have been waiting for an NCAA tournament appearance for a LONG time. It took Gallagher a few years but in all fairness he took over a pretty unimpressive program and finally has the Hawks playing good basketball consistently over the last 4 seasons which is no easy feat considering the graduations and turnover he has had. His enthusiasm is infectious and his players love him which is half the battle. He lost some pretty legit recruits in the last 5 years through bad luck or he may have gotten to the championship game sooner. I know his antics can rile opposing fans but if he were to leave Hartford, I'm not sure we could do any better... he always seems to outperform where the Hawks are picked to finish every year.

Good luck to Gallagher and the Hawks this weekend!
lots of good points....I graduated in 84....I remember Garcia as he started dating someone I wanted to date.I think Mark Mitchell was the first Hawk drafted by the NBA ( I think Utah?).

Likewise I have been waiting for this for sooo long and would love to experience this.....granted Lowell wants this just as bad as we do so we got to go out and leave it all on the court Saturday. its mind boggling that we get a home court for the championship game .....AND FANS AREN’T ALLOWED.....argh!

totally agree with all your thoughts on Gal.

·
Registered
243 Posts
lots of good points....I graduated in 84....I remember Garcia as he started dating someone I wanted to date.I think Mark Mitchell was the first Hawk drafted by the NBA ( I think Utah?).

Likewise I have been waiting for this for sooo long and would love to experience this.....granted Lowell wants this just as bad as we do so we got to go out and leave it all on the court Saturday. its mind boggling that we get a home court for the championship game .....AND FANS AREN’T ALLOWED.....argh!

totally agree with all your thoughts on Gal.
Admittedly haven't been following the Hawks for anywhere near as long as some of the other Hartford posters on this forum (Class of 07), but I did always say to myself that if/when Hartford was in position to host the AE title game, I'd make sure I got there.

Better to be forced to watch Hartford from home than to watch another final without the Hawks.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Admittedly haven't been following the Hawks for anywhere near as long as some of the other Hartford posters on this forum (Class of 07), but I did always say to myself that if/when Hartford was in position to host the AE title game, I'd make sure I got there.

Better to be forced to watch Hartford from home than to watch another final without the Hawks.
Truer words were never spoken.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think Mark Mitchell was the first Hawk drafted by the NBA ( I think Utah?).

Yes! Mark Mitchell was drafted by the Utah Jazz. Unfortunately, he did not make it to the NBA. He wore the big clear goggles and was featured in the Hawk's TV commercials. Jack Phelan had a really great recruiter with Bob Baroni and they always landed players that were recruited above this level - Mark Mitchell, Lamont Middleton, Vin Baker, Ron Moye, etc. but they were never able to translate that into a championship.

Lowell is a tough opponent and have three quality wins in a row. Hawks are tough at home. Should be a great game.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes! Mark Mitchell was drafted by the Utah Jazz. Unfortunately, he did not make it to the NBA. He wore the big clear goggles and was featured in the Hawk's TV commercials. Jack Phelan had a really great recruiter with Bob Baroni and they always had players that could play above this level - Mark Mitchell, Lamont Middleton, Vin Baker, Ron Moye, etc. but they were never able to translate that into a championship.

Lowell is a tough opponent and have three quality wins in a row. Hawks are tough at home. Should be a great game.
in all the years I watched the Hawks I think Lamont Middleton was the most dominant player the Haws have ever had.

Lowell’s ability to come back in big deficits is also frightening.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
in all the years I watched the Hawks I think Lamont Middleton was the most dominant player the Haws have ever had.

Even more than Vin Baker? Man, I feel like that guy was blocking shots left and right and those that he didn't block, he would rebound. And then he was scoring at will on the other end. He was very fun to watch.

Reactions: c00per

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even more than Vin Baker? Man, I feel like that guy was blocking shots left and right and those that he didn't block, he would rebound. And then he was scoring at will on the other end. He was very fun to watch.
Vin was 2nd. Vin’s advantage over Lamont was blocking shots and the ability to shoot 3’s. Lamont could do anything down low....strong but crafty.....amazing touch....amazing finisher. If he was 2-3 inches taller he was Charles Barkley. He left Hartford after 2 years to start for ST John’s. He only played with Vin in Vin’s freshman year I think when Vin was still trying to figure things out. Would have been interesting to see if Lamont stayed and played with Vin his next 2 years.

·
Registered
606 Posts

Middleton was a beast. As a freshman he looked like a man among boys. In addition to his scoring and rebounding abilities, he led the conference in steals his freshman and soph years. He ended up at St John's who recruited him hard out of high school.

Kenny Adeleke who transferred in from Hofstra was pretty dominant for the Hawks in the early 2000s. He only played for us one year but averaged 21 PPG and an amazing 13 RPG. He was unrelenting around the ball.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
In looking at the 2 Hartford/Lowell games this year. They were played at Lowell.

First game Lowell won 71-62. Lowell was up 36-34 at the half.
Stafl 16 pts 6 rbd
Williams 14/6
Marks 11/4

Noel 24/6
Withers 20/9
Boudie 19/4

Teams shot similar percentages

the things that stood out Hartford 18 TO’s. Hartford in huge foul trouble
Stafl 5
Williams 4
Marks 4
DJ 4
Carter 4
limited minutes for all
Lowell only had1 person who had 3 fouls

2nd game
Harford 75 Lowell 58
Hartford up 31-25 at the half.
shot similar percentages

Williams 29/6
Marks 13/8
Carter 13/4 also 7 assists

Noel 18/4
Withers 6/10
Boudie 8/8

TO’s Hartford 11 Lowell 19
Fouls even only person with foul trouble on either team was Stafl with 4

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Middleton was a beast. As a freshman he looked like a man among boys. He ended up at St John's who recruited him hard out of high school.

Kenny Adeleke who transferred in from Hofstra was pretty dominant for the Hawks in the early 2000s. He only played for us one year but averaged 21 PPG and an amazing 13 RPG. He was unrelenting around the ball.
Right Kenny was right up there in dominance. I think because he was only there one year I forget how dominant he was.
Yeah in Lamont’s freshman year it was amazing how he looked like he was playing with high schoolers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
While Lowell is obviously the underdog, I'm still pretty excited to have a chance to see them have the chance to go to the dance for the first time. I'm not holding out high hope ... but...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts