Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

Registered
Let me add my congrats to the Hartford Hawks and their extremely loyal fans here (lsbal, ramon, etc). I am very happy for you guys and excited for your program to get some national attention. Best of luck against Baylor (just fyi, they are pretty long, athletic, talented and well...just plain good) in the NCAA Tournament, being played in the land of basketball, Indiana!

Also, congrats to Lowell on getting to the title game as well.

Registered
Seems like we are getting a lot of these type of spam posts lately.

Super Moderator
I just report them for spam every time but it certainly is annoying. Not sure if bots or just silly people.
No, they鈥檙e bots. The spam filter usually gets most, but unfortunately not all, so it鈥檚 up to myself and the other site moderators and IT admins to take care of the rest.

Registered
No, they鈥檙e bots. The spam filter usually gets most, but unfortunately not all, so it鈥檚 up to myself and the other site moderators and IT admins to take care of the rest.
Thanks for doing that. Bots are ridiculous. As someone that has been an avid baseball/football/basketball card collector since a kid, they are dominating the sports card scene right now. The prices of cards has gone through the roof and because of that, every Tom, Dick, Harry, Maude and Jennifer are buying them. It has led to fights in Walmart and people waiting overnight at various stores to get boxes. It got so bad, Target stopped selling those (and Pokemon) in stores and only sell online. Well, good luck getting anything online unless you have a bot. There are so many groups out there on reddit and other mediums that share bots and decide what to buy and when. They basically have artificially inflated the market as a retail box of cards that costs say $20 at Walmart or Target will now go for anywhere from $60-$125 (depending on product) online via ebay or card selling groups on Facebook. Some of the bigger boxes that are around $40-$50 in the store now command as much as $300-$350 online. It's very similar to the stock actions that have occurred with such stocks as Gamestop, AMC and Dogecoin. I know a few guys in one group and he said that their membership has targeted pool cleaning supplies and plan on buying them all up and then selling them at a higher price.

I'm all for the American dream and the hustle, but some of this is ridiculous IMO.

Anyway, didn't mean to go off on a tangent but the bot thing kind of set me off.

Reactions: lsbal

Registered
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Thanks for doing that. Bots are ridiculous. As someone that has been an avid baseball/football/basketball card collector since a kid, they are dominating the sports card scene right now. The prices of cards has gone through the roof and because of that, every Tom, Dick, Harry, Maude and Jennifer are buying them. It has led to fights in Walmart and people waiting overnight at various stores to get boxes. It got so bad, Target stopped selling those (and Pokemon) in stores and only sell online. Well, good luck getting anything online unless you have a bot. There are so many groups out there on reddit and other mediums that share bots and decide what to buy and when. They basically have artificially inflated the market as a retail box of cards that costs say $20 at Walmart or Target will now go for anywhere from $60-$125 (depending on product) online via ebay or card selling groups on Facebook. Some of the bigger boxes that are around $40-$50 in the store now command as much as $300-$350 online. It's very similar to the stock actions that have occurred with such stocks as Gamestop, AMC and Dogecoin. I know a few guys in one group and he said that their membership has targeted pool cleaning supplies and plan on buying them all up and then selling them at a higher price.

I'm all for the American dream and the hustle, but some of this is ridiculous IMO.

Anyway, didn't mean to go off on a tangent but the bot thing kind of set me off.
So off topic but I also collected (primarily baseball) cards as well for years. Additionally in high school I had an incredible job. I worked for a guy who sold cards via the mail order. His entire house and barn was filled with every card and collectible imaginable. My job was to bring a box of say1968 baseball cards and make as many complete sets as I could with that box. He paid me 75 bucks per box and I did it while watching Tv. It was awesome. Sadly my collection is not as highly graded due to wear on a lot of my cards. One of my friends who I sometimes go to card shows with still collects heavily. He just had for sale a complete 1976 set on eBay for 1.6 million.

Registered
That takes a lot of patience and a long view. I remember collecting cards in the late 80s/early 90s and then the market cratered for a while. Interesting to see it back again.

I bet I threw out a lot of rookie football cards from 90-93 that might be worth something now.

Registered
So off topic but I also collected (primarily baseball) cards as well for years. Additionally in high school I had an incredible job. I worked for a guy who sold cards via the mail order. His entire house and barn was filled with every card and collectible imaginable. My job was to bring a box of say1968 baseball cards and make as many complete sets as I could with that box. He paid me 75 bucks per box and I did it while watching Tv. It was awesome. Sadly my collection is not as highly graded due to wear on a lot of my cards. One of my friends who I sometimes go to card shows with still collects heavily. He just had for sale a complete 1976 set on eBay for 1.6 million.
That is so awesome!! The resale value of cards has been driven up as a result of this as well, which has been nice. I have some Walter Payton, Tony Dorsett, etc cards that have seen their value spike like crazy.

And I'm sorry for going way off topic like that.

Registered
That takes a lot of patience and a long view. I remember collecting cards in the late 80s/early 90s and then the market cratered for a while. Interesting to see it back again.

I bet I threw out a lot of rookie football cards from 90-93 that might be worth something now.
Yeah, the 80s and 90s has long been viewed as the "junk card era" due to companies like Upper Deck, Topps, etc making SOOOOOOOOO many of each card. That led to the value plummeting and the hobby was dealt a massive blow and the cratering of values. However, because of this latest boon or craze, those cards are actually showing a little more value, not much, but better than $.00/card. Almost any card with Jordan on it has some decent value, not just his rookie cards. In fact, some are commanding some major money right now. The other interesting thing that is happening is that cards that may be of just some regular guy that people may not know are actually gaining value IF a superstar also happens to be in the card. Many people just simply cannot afford high quality cards of say Michael Jordan, but if you have a card of John Starks being guarded by Jordan, that card is actually now selling for more than it used to. One cool card is of Mark Jackson. Decent player, good career but not a star and not highly sought after all. However, one of his cards has his pic taken from the end line and in the background are the Menendez brothers sitting courtside. That was taken shortly before they were found guilty of murdering their parents. For those not familiar with that case, here you go: Menendez brothers

Here's that card...kinda weird and creepy in a way:

Reactions: lsbal

Registered
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Yeah, the 80s and 90s has long been viewed as the "junk card era" due to companies like Upper Deck, Topps, etc making SOOOOOOOOO many of each card. That led to the value plummeting and the hobby was dealt a massive blow and the cratering of values. However, because of this latest boon or craze, those cards are actually showing a little more value, not much, but better than $.00/card. Almost any card with Jordan on it has some decent value, not just his rookie cards. In fact, some are commanding some major money right now. The other interesting thing that is happening is that cards that may be of just some regular guy that people may not know are actually gaining value IF a superstar also happens to be in the card. Many people just simply cannot afford high quality cards of say Michael Jordan, but if you have a card of John Starks being guarded by Jordan, that card is actually now selling for more than it used to. One cool card is of Mark Jackson. Decent player, good career but not a star and not highly sought after all. However, one of his cards has his pic taken from the end line and in the background are the Menendez brothers sitting courtside. That was taken shortly before they were found guilty of murdering their parents. For those not familiar with that case, here you go: Menendez brothers

Here's that card...kinda weird and creepy in a way:

View attachment 21209
Wow that is really interesting. So myself and 2 other friends cornered the market on I think just about any rookie cards of Jeff Bagwell ( I must have 200 of these in all the different cards companies) and Vin Baker ( probably have about 300 of those). Each of those were selling for next to nothing back then since barely anybody cared about them鈥specially Bagwell.
Sadly I have a bunch of Aaron/Seaver/ Nolan Ryan ( the really valuable one) cards but all graded poorly.
My friend who is selling his 1976 set has a couple more grade upgrades to do for his 1969 set. I think he has the third highest graded complete 1969 set in the country right now.
Another friend of mine son recently took a job with a company out in Vegas who you send a stack of cards to to determine if they are worth grading. You pay 1$ per card. If they are grade worthy they send them to the best grading company ( who has about a 4-6 month backlog right now since the industry is exploding). The ones that aren鈥檛 worth grading they just send back to you.

Premium Member
The sports card industry is being driven by all the people that are now my age that couldn't afford to buy the $1K Michael Jordan rookie card as kids; now via Finance or Technology industries have made obscene amounts of money so can spend 500K or 1mm on a card they could never have bought as a kid. It's pretty fascinating to witness.

Registered
The sports card industry is being driven by all the people that are now my age that couldn't afford to buy the $1K Michael Jordan rookie card as kids; now via Finance or Technology industries have made obscene amounts of money so can spend 500K or 1mm on a card they could never have bought as a kid. It's pretty fascinating to witness.
It really is. I mean, we are seeing Babe Ruth, Mike Trout, Lebron James, Tom Brady cards go for crazy amounts, but what is even crazier are today's rookie cards, whether they be Justin Herbert, LaMelo Ball, Fernando Tatis, Ronald Acuna, etc. They are often going for much, much more than Hall of Fame players. I know they are thinking that the investment will pay off 20-30 years down the road, but I don't know. Some of the cash being paid out for some of these I'm just not convinced the money will be there for those guys down the road. I mean, I would have thought rookie cards of Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Shaq, etc would be worth a fortune by now but honestly, they really don't go for that much. Paying 750K for a Lebron James rookie card doesn't seem to compute but people are buying right now. I mean, the number of people willing to pay that much for a sports card is probably pretty small, but those auction houses know how to find them.

But yeah, it is quite fascinating to watch and witness.

Registered
Never mind high school, I would do this job now!

I should probably dust off the 20,000 cards I have and see how many I can jam these knuckleheads with. The speculative excess is getting pretty bad across the board right now. This stuff can go on for a while but over longer time frames, basic supply and demand and third grade math usually win out. Which is why eventually the people holding the GameStop and AMC hot potatoes will find the bid has gone away. It鈥檚 happening in crypto, sports cards, digital art, parts of the stock market and to some degree in housing depending on location.

History may not repeat but it rhymes, and we鈥檝e seen this movie before. As far as I know, it has never ended well.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts