Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What're your expectations for the Nets? Will this season be a failure if they don't win a ring given the additions they've made?

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
They should be contending for a championship this season and next. The fact that AK47 has ties to Deron Williams already will help him slide in and contribute right away, plus he will be a key player off the bench. Also Pierce and Garnett have chemistry. So the entire team just needs to gel, and they should have as good as chance as any of the top teams in the East to come out and represent in the Finals. It's going to be a good NBA season.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
They might contend for the title...but I don't think they will look great during the regular season.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
If the major cogs are all healthy come playoff time, anything that isn't a title will be a disappointment. Theoretically, they should be the deepest team in the league with enough firepower to play with anyone on the schedule. If they go seven with Miami and wind up losing, I'd have a hard time calling it a full-blown failure, however.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
If the major cogs are all healthy come playoff time, anything that isn't a title will be a disappointment. Theoretically, they should be the deepest team in the league with enough firepower to play with anyone on the schedule. If they go seven with Miami and wind up losing, I'd have a hard time calling it a full-blown failure, however.
This is just about how I feel. Granted, this is all still on paper. They could turn out being a horrible fit once they get out on the floor together.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
This is just about how I feel. Granted, this is all still on paper. They could turn out being a horrible fit once they get out on the floor together.
I don't think there's any chance of a Lakers repeat with this squad. Too many good distributors and guys that know they're past their prime to have fights over shot counts.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I don't think there's any chance of a Lakers repeat with this squad. Too many good distributors and guys that know they're past their prime to have fights over shot counts.
The only potential problem I really see is Joe Johnson. If he buys in, they have just as good a shot at beating Indiana or Miami as anybody else in the East. If you get bad Joe instead of good Joe, they could be upset fodder in the first round.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
The only potential problem I really see is Joe Johnson. If he buys in, they have just as good a shot at beating Indiana or Miami as anybody else in the East. If you get bad Joe instead of good Joe, they could be upset fodder in the first round.
I mean, if Johnson was going to make a stink about not getting enough shots up, I expect he would have done it last year. He just turned 32, he's never really had one of those overbearing personalities, and he's never won anything either. I figure that he's a guy happy to get plenty of help wining a whole bunch of games while collecting massive checks.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I mean, if Johnson was going to make a stink about not getting enough shots up, I expect he would have done it last year. He just turned 32, he's never really had one of those overbearing personalities, and he's never won anything either. I figure that he's a guy happy to get plenty of help wining a whole bunch of games while collecting massive checks.
I don't believe he will cry about lack of shots, either. That's not what I mean. It really just depends on whether or not he will be locked in defensively... at least in the playoff. He mailed it in on that end in last year's playoffs. Jimmy Butler torched him.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I don't believe he will cry about lack of shots, either. That's not what I mean. It really just depends on whether or not he will be locked in defensively... at least in the playoff. He mailed it in on that end in last year's playoffs. Jimmy Butler torched him.
I don't think Pierce and Garnett are going to let a guy loaf his way through the playoffs, and if Johnson isn't playing D midway through the season they still have Mirza Teletovic to trade for a defensive roleplayer. In my mind, the three biggest threats to Brooklyn's title hopes are:

A) Injury, obviously. Their core guys are all either in their thirties or have health related question marks attached

B) Deron Williams not being able to get back into his prime form from Utah, when people were talking about him being the best point guard in the league/a top-ten player, or

C) Deron Williams never really having been that guy to begin with.

In short, barring catastrophic injuries hitting the team, I'm expecting 2014 to be a real referendum season on Deron's legacy, much like Vince's 2010 run with the Magic.

EDIT: Also, you an always hide one guy on defense. If Johnson becomes so much of a problem that he's a net negative, they can just move Garnett to center, put AK at the 4, and play Terry off the ball as a designated floor spacer. Granted, a happy Joe Johnson that's engaged on both sides of the floor takes them up a level, but they also don't need him in the same way they need Deron to make everything run.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
I agree completely.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
The biggest problem with the lakers last year was health, and judging by your comments on the '08-'10 Celtics you
should be able to sympathize. Give that team a semi healthy season and a full training camp/preseason with a full time head coach and they win 50 plus easily. They had the second best record in the west after the all star game even after all of the bullshit they went through.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
The biggest problem with the lakers last year was health, and judging by your comments on the '08-'10 Celtics you
should be able to sympathize. Give that team a semi healthy season and a full training camp/preseason with a full time head coach and they win 50 plus easily. They had the second best record in the west after the all star game even after all of the bullshit they went through.
I'm talking more about the way that players clashed with each other, the coaches, and the roles the coaches gave them (or never really defined for them) than overall record. Also, it's more like the '09-'12 Celtics. Each one of those teams had a legitimate shot at the title had they been healthy. Last years' squad was just one year too far gone.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The biggest problem with the lakers last year was health. Give that team a semi healthy season and a full training camp/preseason with a full time head coach and they win 50 plus easily. They had the second best record in the west after the all star game even after all of the bullshit they went through.

The playoffs were after the all-star game, weren't they?

I believe Lakers had the worst playoff record last season.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
The playoffs were after the all-star game, weren't they?

I believe Lakers had the worst playoff record last season.
Their best player missed the entire series and their next four best were playing injured.

And losing to the eventual conference champion spurs that pushed the Heat to 7 is a little more respectable than losing to the Rose-less Bulls with a hobbled Noah bud.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I enjoy that being a C's transplant means I don't have to get defensive about the Nets coasting through the season last year. I don't think effort's going to be an issue this time around.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Their best player missed the entire series and their next four best were playing injured.

And losing to the eventual conference champion spurs that pushed the Heat to 7 is a little more respectable than losing to the Rose-less Bulls with a hobbled Noah bud.

But Lakers had the 2nd best record in the West after the all-star break. That has to count for something.

And it's always impressive getting swept in the 1st rd, while losing your two home games by a total of 52 points.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts