Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that Chandler and Curry are weraing number #2 and #3 respectively (my guess is that it's aplay on Jordan's #23).

My question is, didn't they wear #2 (Chandler) and #4( Curry) last season (reflecting their draft position)?
 

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
Originally posted by <b>I'm Just Saying</b>!
I notice that Chandler and Curry are weraing number #2 and #3 respectively (my guess is that it's aplay on Jordan's #23).

My question is, didn't they wear #2 (Chandler) and #4( Curry) last season (reflecting their draft position)?
.....and as far as I know, it is no reference to Jordan. Crawford is #1. They were #1, #2, #3. #4 is retired (Jerry Sloan) and hanging in the rafters.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,802 Posts
Re: Re: Chandler and Curry's Jersey Number?

Originally posted by <b>Wynn</b>!


.....and as far as I know, it is no reference to Jordan. Crawford is #1. They were #1, #2, #3. #4 is retired (Jerry Sloan) and hanging in the rafters.
Yeah, thats why Trenton Hassell chose #22 last year 2+2=4.
 

·
BasketballBoards Fat Cat
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
Re: Re: Chandler and Curry's Jersey Number?

Originally posted by <b>Wynn</b>!

.....and as far as I know, it is no reference to Jordan.
Actually, I always kind of have thought of it as a reference to Jordan.

ESPN The Magazine definitely agrees. They did a big story on Curry & Chandler last year. They had pictures of them running around and splashing on the beach in their uniforms. Anyway, every single shot (if I remember correctly), including the cover photo, featured Curry on the left and Chandler on the right... so their numbers read 23 when read together.
 

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Chandler and Curry's Jersey Number?

Originally posted by <b>Nater</b>!


Actually, I always kind of have thought of it as a reference to Jordan.

ESPN The Magazine definitely agrees. They did a big story on Curry & Chandler last year. They had pictures of them running around and splashing on the beach in their uniforms. Anyway, every single shot (if I remember correctly), including the cover photo, featured Curry on the left and Chandler on the right... so their numbers read 23 when read together.
Numerical order? That's odd.....

.....you may be right, though. This is the first I've heard of it, is all. I remember a big thing being made of being the "building blocks of the future."
 

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
Joined
·
5,094 Posts
ESPN the Magazine article.... was a nice article. I remember reading it. Says nothing about #2 and #3 except that #2 is cursed. Tyson decided not to take it, Eddy took it and decided to break the curse.

Doesn't help clear up the question of why #2 and #3, though. I couldn't find anything else either way.

Definitely an interesting question, I'd be interested if anyone knows for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,184 Posts
we all seem to remember different things about it. I do remember the article with the two of them on the beach. but I also remember another little tidbit - don't ask me for the source because that is LONG forgotten

the story was: tyson wore 32 in HS and eddy 52. they both thought they'd like to change to number 2 in the pros (one of them mentioned Moses Malone who wore that number when he was in Philly)

they decided to play one on one to see who would get to wear #2. evidently curry won, and got to wear it. in a later article Chandler quiped that '2' was a slow number, but '3', man, that's a FAST number. 3's just Quick!

(possible reference to Iverson??)


like I said, I don't know the source, and have no proof of that story. i just have the memory of it. oh so fleeting...
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top