Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an observation, but is Chandler similar to Ho Grant?

Ho. Grant came into the league underweight and bulked up. According to Phil Jackson, though he was a good defender early on in his career, it was due to his speed and ability to recover than good defensive positioning. Averaged decent points on a 15 foot jumper and offensive rebounds.

I can just see Chandler filling the role Grant did for the bulls, not so much in the play the same position, but in his role i.e Third star, that doesn't need the ball to be effective.

What do other people see his role on the team as in the future?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Chandler is a far more intimidating help defender then Grant ever was. His blocks per minute as a rookie exceeded Grants career best.

I have little doubt that Chandler is going to be a intimidating, defensive player of the year candidate, however I am not so sure that he will develop an equal offensive game, though he does have nice form on his J. At this point, I see him as a bigger and healthier Camby, who if you remember was a huge factor in the Knicks run to the Finals in '98. Bird called him the best player on the court in the confrence finals. However his O game was primerally cheep baskets -- put backs, fast breaks, etc...

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Nice post TripleDouble. Never thought of it that way but I agree 100%. Chandler could turn into a healthy version of Camby. And Chandlers still young enough that he could still end up being a good offensive player. Hes still so young that the sky is the limit for this guy

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I agree with the comparsison to a 7'2, more athletic Grant. I do feel however that he'll be better than a healthy Camby- Grant in his day was better player and Chandler IMO will surpass them both- hopefully

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
the Camby comparison seems most accurate (I remember comparing him to Camby when he was first being scouted last summer)

again, if Camby could actually stay healthy for any stretches of time (and allowed to play in his more natural PF spot, along-side a big banger-type center) he has the capacity to be a real difference maker.

the Knick's run in '99 was good evidence of that. Ewing still had a bit left in the tank, and allowed Camby to play a more free-lance defensive role, where he utterly shined. his offensive game was not much different - a lot of put-backs and easy feeds in transition -- but the Knicks had others to rely on for half-court offense.

anyway -- if this is the kind of production the Bulls could get out of Chandler (and he's on court for 70+ games a year) then I'd be pretty satisfied with his game

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Well he should have a "big banger type center" in Curry if he develops the way he should as well. If they can keep Chandler, Curry and Jay they're in good shape to shake up the EC in the years to come.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I like both comparisons. But I think Chandler has the athletic ability to be better than both. Camby I feel never really lived up to his full potential because of injuries so I hope Chandler wont have that in common with him. I think maybe if Chandler develops his offensive game a little more over the next 2 or 3 seasons we could be lookin at a young Alonzo Mourning. The scary thing is that Chandler is taller than him. I dont know what it is but on Defense Chandler sorta reminds me of him and they both have a similar build. I definitally think he'll be able to put up 17-20 ppg on a yearly basis when he develops and may end up being one of the best all around players in the league. The sky really is the limit because if he develops like all of us want him to he could end up playing SF, PF, and C. This would make him deadly on both ends of the court. I guess we can compare him at this point to alot of guys because nobody truly knows what he well become.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
camby has been banged up from playing out of position at center all these years, he's more natural at PF with his thin frame, if camby had been drafted by the spurs instead of duncan then camby would probably be the most intimidating defensive presence in the game right now at PF

too bad, he'l never stay healthy playing at center

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JOHNNY_BRAVisimO</b>!
camby has been banged up from playing out of position at center all these years, he's more natural at PF with his thin frame, if camby had been drafted by the spurs instead of duncan then camby would probably be the most intimidating defensive presence in the game right now at PF

too bad, he'l never stay healthy playing at center
a) Duncan and Camby were not in the same draft, that would never have happened...

Camby came out 1 year before.

b) Duncan has played without a center, he has played long stretches when Robinson has been hurt, and still puts up really solid numbers.

Camby has played with a center and without, and he has been hurt in both regards. In the East there was never really big centers when he was manning the spot. He is just injury prone, and I am sure part of the reason he was sent packing.

-Petey

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
If Chandler turns into a healthy Camby, then he'll be quite a decent player. Camby is a 13/11/1.7bpg type player, and Chandler has even more size. He's skinny, but Camby might still be skinnier, and Chandler has a few inches on him.

If Chandler can bulk up a little in the upper body, then he'd be a great PF/C type player with a ton of athleticism and the defensive ability to guard Duncan one-on-one (Camby was able to lock down Duncan in the college days, and I think Camby is still a strong big man defender). If he can lock down on Duncan (the real big man threat down low in this league, after Shaq's glory days decline), and other big men, then Chandler will be well worth the draft pick. That is definitely something Elton Brand won't ever be able to do, as good as a defender that Brand is.

He'll be better than Horace Grant, I hope, although I hope he inherits Grant's nice mid-range jumper and slightly better ball-handling.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Tyson chandler is not a good defender yet he has the potential to be great but he isn't even avg. yet

comparing him to ho.grant who was a good defender from day 1 and in his prime was great is not fair to either player

yes Tc is tall (very tall in fact) but he still doesn't get himself in the right spots on time to use it effectively nor does he yet have the stregnth to hold his spot against the pf bruisers

camby has never lived up to expectations because he was playing the post in what amounts to jon bender's body which basically the body of a really tall 2 guard

he's bulked up a little more than a bit (he's put on about 30 pounds in his time in the nba) but he's having hip trouble due to a fall he took last year(probably from the extra weight which is ironic because the weight was actually suppose to help prevent injury)

but camby is a game changer his ability to cause trouble in the lane is extremely rare (maybe only shaq mutumbo and ratliff can equal him in that regard )

Tc is not there either although camby's game is probably at this point in his career the one who he should emulate

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I think Chandler (when he is fully developed) will be similar to a cross between Rasheed Wallace (without as much range) and Marcus Camby.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Chandler has much better range right now than Wallace did at the same age. Hell, Rasheed's range was only about 12 feet when he entered the NBA. Don't sell Chandler's abilities short on the offensive end - he's got good touch.

I think the best comparison for what Chandler will become is a cross between KG, Rasheed and Camby. Take the averages of the three of them, and I think you have stats resembling what Chandler should be able to produce: 17 ppg, 10 rpg, 2+ bpg.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!
Chandler has much better range right now than Wallace did at the same age. Hell, Rasheed's range was only about 12 feet when he entered the NBA. Don't sell Chandler's abilities short on the offensive end - he's got good touch.

I think the best comparison for what Chandler will become is a cross between KG, Rasheed and Camby. Take the averages of the three of them, and I think you have stats resembling what Chandler should be able to produce: 17 ppg, 10 rpg, 2+ bpg.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: that deserved 3 seisure smilies

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
chibullsfan,
i'm thinking the same way. chandler will become an offensive and defensive force in the nba. his scoring could be significantly greater than 17 given the right nba team.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!

3 more :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts