Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is a blurb from an article p.s. written for yesterday:

Stoudemire impressive

Cypress Creek High School star Amare Stoudemire, who was selected ninth overall in last month's draft, has scored in double figures in every one of the Phoenix Suns' summer league games.

After averaging 14.3 points and 5.5 rebounds in a summer-league in Long Beach, Calif., he is now playing in the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City.

"I had several NBA types come up to me and congratulate us on our draft," Suns General Manager Bryan Colangelo told the Arizona Republic. "They said, 'You got our guy.' And I'm thinking, 'But you picked ahead of us.' "

Though he doesn't know it, Stoudemire will face a rival at 4 p.m. today.

Chicago Bulls' preps-to-pros phenoms Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry are upset with Stoudemire over comments he made to the Sentinel in January. In the story, Stoudemire said of last year's high schoolers: "My work ethic is a little higher than theirs, to be honest."

"My comment to him is that he better just come and work, since he works so hard," Chandler said in response. "It's going to be a rude awakening. If he thinks that me and Eddy don't work hard, evidently he doesn't pay attention to basketball."

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Chandler said in a chat with bulls.com that at the big mans camp this year he wanted to learn the face up game so he could utilize his quickness. I have no doubt he will become excellent face the basket player in time, because he has tremedous talent and really good work ethic. But for the present, has he shown any offensive game so far besides dunking the ball? He certainly hasn't been lighting up the summer leauge so far.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I wish I could have watched the game just for the aspect of payback. I have read comments from the Bulls kids reacting to Amare's brash appraisal of them

I am reminded of the Olympics in 92 with MJ and Pippen going after Kukoc.

Apparently it didn't happen here but there is going to be regular season.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by BCH
I wish I could have watched the game just for the aspect of payback. I have read comments from the Bulls kids reacting to Amare's brash appraisal of them

I am reminded of the Olympics in 92 with MJ and Pippen going after Kukoc.

Apparently it didn't happen here but there is going to be regular season.
Yeah, and when the calls level out, I expect Chandler to play a lot better. Amare won this match, even though most of it didn't come on Chandler.....

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I hadn't read where how they matched up. Was it in SUS's report? We know it was one of the twin toddlers but where can I find out?

I personally think blaming the refs is a cop out. Amare is the rookie in this scenario, and a ton of criticism was leveled last season at the refs for picking on rookies that hadn't earned it yet.

I also thought it was Curry who said he was going to help Amare with the rude awakening.

Someone fill me in here.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Well you can call it a cop out, but the numbers don't lie. They shot 20+ more FT's and SUS said that Chandler's complaining was justified. Curry took part in defending Amare, but he is too quick for him. Baxter didn't have much luck either.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Ok. Pardon me if I don't necessarily take the word of the Bulls fan judging the refs. I am known for throwing crap at the television because of the refs, but I realize 90% of the time it is just my biased view.

The Bulls lack of FTs to me says more about their aggressiveness rather than poor judgement calls by the refs. I believe SUS mentioned Jacobsen using the drive rather than his Jumper to create scoring, and I have seen Amare play and I know his game is preety much limited to going to the rack.

From what I saw last year, the Bulls didn't have the dribble penetrater, and in at least one report of the game there was mention of JWill doing some fancy dribbling that accomplished nothing other than looking fancy.

I think there are other factors involved other than blaming the refs. Sometimes it is the players fault they lost. Chandler could have adjusted to how the refs were calling the game. The Bulls could have been more aggressive as well.

Chandler was on the floor for 18 minutes and he must have done something to grab 3 blocks in those minutes. From reading the reports, Amare got Chandler whistled for the foul that took him out for good.

I didn't watch the game but general experience says that the refs really aren't biased and generally do not call one way games, especially in the summer league, especially with 3 refs. They would have to be consistently bad on one end of the floor, usually they are just consistently bad both ways.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
No one is saying that the officials were biased. It's just ticky-tac calls. Our whole team was probably frustrated by not getting calls, but also at the inabilty of the offense to work in the second half. If you have watched any summer league games, you see that they call it extremely tight.

Also, aggressiveness can be diminished by poor calls. That may be why Chandler didn't show more of it.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
You think it was ticky-tack calls. You think the team got frustrateed by not getting calls. You think Chandler didn't show more of it. I have watched the summer league games. They have been called how they have been called with no benefit going to either team. I admit I didn't watch the game, but you are trying to explain away something I am not asking about.

I was curious about the lesson not being administered as prophesized. The focus on Chandler was brought on by you, but it could as easily have been Curry or a combination of both. Your defense of Chandler is groundless because no one was accusing him. But even still I am not sure how you defend him without knowing the actual breakdown of how Amare was played.

The total number of fouls called was 25 to 33.

I don't think that equates to any sort of unbalance, and seems fairly level.

We know at least one of Chandler's fouls was on offense setting a screen for JWill and his last was on Amare. I think his 3 blocks speaks for his aggrssiveness.

I would be interested in hearing from SUS who was guarding Amare and for how long. From his posts all I can gather was that it was Chandler or Curry. Amare only played 28 minutes. Baxter played as many minutes as Chandler, 18, so it probably wouldn't be right to say it was all on Baxter.

I guess I will just leave it to SUS's discretion whether to write about it or not.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Originally posted by BCH
You think it was ticky-tack calls. You think the team got frustrateed by not getting calls. You think Chandler didn't show more of it.
Actually, no you are wrong. SUS said that some of the calls were ticky-tac and that the players were getting frustrated especially Chandler on the last call. Those weren't my opinion, it's not like I said "I think they were ticky-tac calls". Someone actually told me that some calls were. Someone who was at the game. This is my opinion and what I think, It was probably a combination of the calls and not being able to run the offense that frustrated the team.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
KC. I know it was your opinion and I know you got your information on Chandler's frustration from SUS. It is still second hand knowledge and far from fact by any account. It is still what you think and there is nothing wrong with that. I was merely giving an opposite and valid explanation for a series of events neither one of us saw. I still think 25 fouls to 33 is fairly level over 40 minutes of play, especially when you acknowledge that the Bulls were unable to run their offense.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts