Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if we are in position to take okafor this summer and we have a nice trade on the table that requires giving up either chandler or okafor? which one would u guys say is more valueable or better player? which one do u guys think we should keep?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,132 Posts
keep both and sacrifie Curry or better yet.. play big with the super big team.. Curry, Okafor and Chandler at 3...:eek:
I can't judge now.. who is better but I think Tyson has a better body and more talent.. I'm with him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sith</b>!
if we are in position to take okafor this summer and we have a nice trade on the table that requires giving up either chandler or okafor? which one would u guys say is more valueable or better player? which one do u guys think we should keep?

easy one inspite of whatever anyone says. Okafor

Why?
Okafor is stronger
Chandler might have a bad back
Chandler is going to want dollars, Okafor is on a rookie deal for 4 more years
Okafor play with as much intensity as Chandler does but more under control
Okafor probably is further along in terms of pure offense then Chandler is now, which doesnt say a whole lot
Look at Okafors stats vs Duncans stats Jr year stats? It is very close

This is NOT an indictment on Chandler. I just think okafor is someone you can actually build around. Chandler is more of a cog in the wheel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
only thing chandler has advantage over akafor is his height, but akafor is more polished, better offensive skills(for now at least). and better defender, but chandler is agreat def as well. yeah its a tough decision but i say we give up chandler. his back problem scares me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
Hard to say....

Chandler would be destroying the NCAA competition right now.

BTW - it's pretty sad to see how a third of the posts on this Bulls board are banking that we get the top pick even though there is only a 25% chance if we end up with the worst record.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,802 Posts
I don't think we can really compare the two at this point. Okafor has never played a pro game and Chandler has never played a college game. By all accounts Chandler's back shouldn't be a chronic issue. If, through some chance, the Bulls are blessed with the #1 pick and draft Okafor I would hang on to him and see what he can do but unless he is substantially better than either Chandler or Curry I would probably move him for a real sf.
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Okafor is amazing. But the physical ability of Chandler really is above Okafor's. If Chandler's back is chronic, of course, it throws everything off.

Okafor is wildly athletic, plays much bigger than 6-10. He's the kind of guy that Paxson will definitely want to team up with Hinrich: incredibly high basketball IQ, great collegiate experience and growth, solid and you-know-what-you-get quality from his game.

But, if Chandler and Hinrich start putting it together, then Pax will have to look at trading down for some team that REALLY wants Okafor and trade draft picks, picking up a decent vet in the package too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Chandler v.s. Okafor

:sfight:

Sounds like a PPV to me....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
But, if we do get Okafor, we don't necessarily have to trade Chandler. We can keep both and trade the true odd man out IF this were to happen: JYD.

You can start either Chandler of Okafor at the 4 spot with the other guy as our sixth man. You trade JYD and cap filler(Jeffries) for a decent small forward like a James Posey or Shane Battier.
 

·
Old-Timer
Joined
·
2,619 Posts
I think it's impossible to say who's better because one's in college and one's in the NBA. And it's not like you can compare Tyson as a Junior in college to Okafor as a junior.

Okafor is definitely a beast and his on-the-ball defense is already sensational. So is the timing on his jumps. Just about the best I've ever seen.

However, Tyson is 7'1" and Okafor, as Dick Vitale said last night, is no tallter than 6'9". I know he plays much bigger than that but there's still no way I would trade those extra four or so, considering they're equally athletic and Tyson's potential to be a supreme shot-blocker is as high as anyone's.

The only way I'd take Okafor over Tyson is if it's decided Tyson's back problems are chronic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Tyson's back problem isn't chronic; he tore some tissue in his back and was assured that the problem isn't chronic. He hurt his back because he needs to put on weight in order to take the banging inside the paint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,073 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dsouljah9</b>!
But, if we do get Okafor, we don't necessarily have to trade Chandler. We can keep both and trade the true odd man out IF this were to happen: JYD.

You can start either Chandler of Okafor at the 4 spot with the other guy as our sixth man. You trade JYD and cap filler(Jeffries) for a decent small forward like a James Posey or Shane Battier.
But then we'd lose one of the big kids in QO after next season and get nothing.

I think keeping Emeka is a must!

Trading EC or TC depends on some factors:
1.TC's back - if ok,maybe trade EC.
2.whats on the table - the better deal we might get for one of EC/TC.
3.EC goes on playing like last 2 games means he's getting in shape - EC in good shape=untradble,probably close to max contract,again,only EC in shape,it's quite a simple problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
I just don't think adding Okafor(if we pick first) menas that we <i>have</i> to trade Curry or Chandler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
i agree with dsouljah - if we do manage to get okafor why not keep him around with tyson and eddy. that'll be a young n' deep 4/5 combo. at least for 1 year. people keep talking about how kirk was one of the most athletic and strongest players in the draft camp measurements. he looks beat right now. with ty, eddy aboard it's less likely emeka would hit the wall as hard as kirk has seemed to hit it.

oh yeah, i think if tyson were on a loaded college team he could do really well too. and his back wouldn't be as big an issue in college - he'd play 2-3 games a weekm, travel less, and play against guys that aren't as physically mature as the nba. he might've been able to handle it like emeka did his back problems. don't practice, limit the minutes in blowouts, miss one or two games here and there as your back dictates.

oh btw, tyson is 1 month younger than emeka. he's older than dirt!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I think everyone needs to cool it with the idea of Okafor being the savior for us next year. It seems to me that the general idea around here is that he is going to be an excellent franchise player. Fact is, he is still in college and will not prove himself until he plays a game in the NBA. Just because he is one of the best players in college basketball doesn't mean he is going to come to the NBA and put up great numbers his first year.

I am not saying he won't do that (I think he will be a great NBA player), but people probably shouldn't be putting as much faith in him as they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bnikey25</b>!
I think everyone needs to cool it with the idea of Okafor being the savior for us next year. It seems to me that the general idea around here is that he is going to be an excellent franchise player. Fact is, he is still in college and will not prove himself until he plays a game in the NBA. Just because he is one of the best players in college basketball doesn't mean he is going to come to the NBA and put up great numbers his first year.

I am not saying he won't do that (I think he will be a great NBA player), but people probably shouldn't be putting as much faith in him as they are.
the thing about him is put up his Jr year stats next to Tim Duncans or David Robinsons and they look identical. And i guarantee he is playing better players then DRob was in the colonial conference 20 years ago. he is a legit building block
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!


the thing about him is put up his Jr year stats next to Tim Duncans or David Robinsons and they look identical. And i guarantee he is playing better players then DRob was in the colonial conference 20 years ago. he is a legit building block
Okafor's stats are very similar to Michael Sweetney, too.

And Sweetney was playing better players then DRob was in the colonial conference 20 years ago, too. ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=389
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,750 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!


the thing about him is put up his Jr year stats next to Tim Duncans or David Robinsons and they look identical. And i guarantee he is playing better players then DRob was in the colonial conference 20 years ago. he is a legit building block
I agree Okafor is a good building block, but comparing him to D-Rob and Duncan is very dangerous. Remember how many were saying JWill was similar to Isiah Thomas?

Plus Okafor is playing in a weaker college game than when Duncan played, with so many kids coming out early. Also, he probably has a strength advantage over most of his opponents, which he probably won't have in the NBA. Hopefully Paxson considers all the facts.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top