Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
much of my change in personal philosophy in dealing with this disaster of a situation know as the Portland Trailblazers came from Sebastian Telfair

Until recently I was very critical of Telfair and wanted him gone because he was never gonna be the PG that i wanted him to be or thought we had drafted....But, then I slowly but surely realized that he was never that guy to begin with...Telfair is a scorer who has improved and will continue to improve his outside shot to increase his effectiveness going to the hoop...with a solid J i think telfair has the potential to be a devastating scoring guard in the league

Presently the scoring is coming from Zach and the ball runs through him for the majority of the 24 second clock.....if telfair is gonna be the scorer that i think he will be then zach is gonna have to go

My new philosophy is much like the philly teams that faced the lakers in the finals recently....i think telfair ad jarret resemble a tandem along the lines of snow and iverson.....i am not suggesting that telfair is gonna be on par with allen but he could get close with an improving jumper, better feel going to the bucket, and a slower game speed in the mind that comes with more experience

A 1-3 line-up of Jack, Telfair, and Webster would require a frontline that is tough, defensive minded and rebounding machines due to little assistance in those areas coming from the guards.....As of now two of our BIGs fit that criteria (Skinner and Joel) but i dont want us to overpay to keep Joel

Sorry for the unorganized rant, what do you think?

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
I don't see why we have to have only 1 scorer on this team or that him being a more aggressive PG is a bad thing. Telfair can be more aggressive on the offensive end, and still be a solid PG.

If he's not aggressive on the offensive end, teams don't need to pay attention to him, and that makes it harder for him to create points for himself and his teammates. If he's a threat from deep, teams will have to respect that because he can blow by them. If he becomes a threat from inside (finishing) teams will have to respect that because he can finish. And if that comes into play, he'll then be able to create offense for other teammates.

Most of this season, he was being stifled by the coaches (which was both good and bad) and not able to create much offense.

Telfair playing more like he did in high school, will end up making him a better PG than what fans think that Nate 'was trying' to make him into.

·
mere fan
6,556 Posts
riehldeal said:
A 1-3 line-up of Jack, Telfair, and Webster would require a frontline that is tough, defensive minded and rebounding machines due to little assistance in those areas coming from the guards.....As of now two of our BIGs fit that criteria (Skinner and Joel) but i dont want us to overpay to keep Joel
I don't like the idea of being undersized 1-3... I'd much rather see Martell develope into the future 2 and have a good sized 3 beside him, but maybe 2 guard isn't in the cards for him? howzabout a swap of either Outlaw or Vic for Pietrus of the Warriors this offseason? He's a RFA 2 so the W's have to make a finacial decision soon. Obviously Richardson is entrenched at the 2 there while Dunleavy Jr has been struggling mightily at the 3. Throw in the Detroit 1st if necessary.

I'm completely for the idea of having a tough defensive minded frontcourt though. Of the players epected to be in this upcoming draft, I'd say Aldridge and Gay are the closest to having the skillsets you seem to be advocating. Both of those guys should have the length and ability to slide along the frontline on the switches that happen on defense. I'm pretty lukewarm on moving Zach though... I think that he could be a very effective part of a 3 man big rotation at the 4/5.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you're critiria is for overpaying JP is, but since Portland can't go over the MLE to retain him, and thats well below the going rate for a quality starting 5, I personally don't see overpaying him as being much of a concern.

STOMP

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i see ur point HAP and will give it some thought....i just felt and feel that a team is better if it has atleast one guy out there on offense that focuses on moving the ball to spots it is needed (eric snow on the philly teams)

three guys that I see in the draft that fit my BIGs idea are Shelden Williams, Tiago Splitter, and Hilton Armstrong

one issue i could see with the philosophy is Martell's height advantage at the SG spot being voided.....at SF he would be shorter than his opponent and thus unable to merely shoot over the top like he would be able to against SG's

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Nice rant....

Telfair has continuously improved his shooting, assists, and defense during the past year. He still turns the ball over more than we'd like, but....

If he continues to improve at this rate, we'll have a nice PG on our hands in two years, about the time he would have been Senior in college.

Let's wait that long, please?

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
Nice rant....

Telfair has continuously improved his shooting, assists, and defense during the past year. He still turns the ball over more than we'd like, but....

If he continues to improve at this rate, we'll have a nice PG on our hands in two years, about the time he would have been Senior in college.

Let's wait that long, please?
I'm not sure if I'd say the turns the ball over more than we'd like considering that he had 7 and 5 turnovers in 2 games, and hasn't had more than 3 any other game this year and has had 10 games of 0, 14 games of 1 and 19 games of 2.

seems to me his turnovers aren't really a big issue anymore.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can we learn anything from San Antonio's personnel and offensive schemes?

Parker is primarily a penetrating point guard. He seems to be able to keep that game going even though SA has a great big man. I don't know enough about Xs and Os to be dogmatic, but with the right offensive scheme and spacing, a PG with Telfair's skills should be able to co-exist with an inside guy like Zach/Duncan as long as we have an outside threat (Webster > Bowen?) in the mix at the same time.

Everyone must want to pass the ball and play defense though ;).

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i see what ur sayin with the spurs but i would have say zach is zach not tim duncan

i guess i just dont like zach....he holds the ball too much and is drifting further and further from the basket with each passing yr

as a result his FG% are dropping each yr....not to mention his declining effort on the boards, esspecially the defense glass

if we go to a 1-3 of jack telfair and martel....then a guy like zach (being undersized and less than stellar on the D boards) just doesnt fit

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Man, I have been wanting to see Nate loosen the reins on Telfair for awhile now...He needs the ball in his hands to excel and for his TEAMATES to excel as well. I agree that he will become a better and better scorer as he matures and is given the lattitude to do so, and in turn his passing ability (ie asissts) will grow as well, as that part of his game is fed\born from his ability as an offensive threat.

A couple of "IF"s", but IF POR can get Morrison, and IF he is able to be as crafty (or somewhere in the vicinity as I think he will be) as he is in college, then POR could have the start of something good.

I think Zach works much better as a 2nd/3rd option rather than a 1st. You give him the ball and let him do his thing, but don't expect him to make his teamates appreciably better.

Telfair, Webster, Morrison, Zach and Pryzbilla...

That is a team that (presently) would be weak defensively, but a MUCH better offensive team than they are today...given of course that Telfair blossoms into the scoring threat I think he can, Webster continues to mature and Morrison's game translates effectively into the NBA...and I do think that Telfair can be a very good defender, and Webster could be better than he is currently given credit for.

THEN you compliment that with DEFENSIVE players, which POR already has\inadvertently has done...guys like Khryapa, Skinner (yes Skinner), Jack and even "old man" Theo, provide that "glue"...guys who play solid defensive, are intelligent and team oriented, guys who excel in the little things....

I keep seeing people post that POR needs defense, they need a lot of things, hence the record, but defense isn't at the top of that list for me..they need people WHO CAN SCORE...plain and simple...Both Telfair and Webster, I think, will be able to do that, to what extent, I don't really know, Morrison, I BELIEVE, will be able to do that and we know what Zach can do...and if Morrison develops into that "go-to-guy" he was in college, even better, although I think Telfair could develop into that type of player as well....

Zach would be much more effective when teams have to try and contain Telfair's penetration, Morrison's....non stop motion and crafty scoring abilities and be mindful not to leave Webster alone on the perimeter...I think a group like that could be a very good team, GIVEN TIME to develop into it...and like I said, the rest of the roster filled with defensive minded\team oriented players, and IMO POR already has 3-4 of them.

I really hope POR takes Morrison with their 1st pick and then, goes for a defensive\hustle player with their latter two picks...guys like Craig Smith, PJ Tucker, Justin Williams, Hassan Adams, Taj Gray, Paul Milsap orThabo Sefalosha (??)...

Even better would be POR dealing either both of its later picks and\or Miles\filler to move up into the teens or higher...then they can get a shot at a guy like Shelden Williams, Tiago Splitter, Patrick O'Bryant or Hibbert (if they declare), Rudy Fernandez, Mardy Collins or Randy Foye...I think Foye could really be the sleeper of this draft....

·
Registered
985 Posts
Kmurph said:
I keep seeing people post that POR needs defense, they need a lot of things, hence the record, but defense isn't at the top of that list for me..they need people WHO CAN SCORE...plain and simple...
Yep, Thats what I think as well. The defense is decent enough. The scoring is the problem why we are so horrible.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
tlong said:
Hopefully Telfair will eventually develop into a decent backup point guard.
don't you ever get tired of just antagonizing people when it comes to Telfair? because it's surely gotten old from the other side of things.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I like the fact that Nate is loosening the reins on Telfair a little. Eventually, he'll be cut loose entirely, but that should be a gradual process. Telfair learning how to function in a disciplined, well-structured offense will make him a better player in the long run.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Keep in mind, riehldeal, that the only roster decisions Nate has been involved with here in Portland were the ones surrounding the Ruben trade. He's taking someone else's roster and teaching them to play his system. Next year, I expect him to start to adapt his system around the strengths and weaknesses of the players he has spent this season evaluating.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
BlazerWookie said:
Keep in mind, riehldeal, that the only roster decisions Nate has been involved with here in Portland were the ones surrounding the Ruben trade. He's taking someone else's roster and teaching them to play his system. Next year, I expect him to start to adapt his system around the strengths and weaknesses of the players he has spent this season evaluating.
Too bad they don't film the games, then he could have watched the film over the summer after he was hired and figured out the players strengths and weaknesses before the season started.

Maybe then he could have even figured out which one was Khryapa prior to December.

barfo

·
Player Salary Geek
4,265 Posts
riehldeal said:
i see what ur sayin with the spurs but i would have say zach is zach not tim duncan

i guess i just dont like zach....he holds the ball too much and is drifting further and further from the basket with each passing yr
Yes, what is the deal with Zach taking 8 3-point shots against the Bucks? It's not simply a matter of statistics (because he did make 3 of them), it's a matter of offensive philosophy. Are the Blazers now looking to stretch defenses by having Zach camp at the 3-point line? If so, who is playing inside on offense to supposedly benefit from this maneuver?

I don't understand it at all....

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Storyteller said:
Yes, what is the deal with Zach taking 8 3-point shots against the Bucks? It's not simply a matter of statistics (because he did make 3 of them), it's a matter of offensive philosophy. Are the Blazers now looking to stretch defenses by having Zach camp at the 3-point line? If so, who is playing inside on offense to supposedly benefit from this maneuver?

I don't understand it at all....
Me, neither. Was this something that Nate is on board with, or something that Zach did because Nate loosened the reigns?

I never minded Rasheed Wallace drifting to the perimeter because I knew that he was going to be effective defensively even if he wasn't an offensive presence on the interior. But Zach becoming a jump-shooter? He really undercuts just about his only strength by doing that.

Ed O.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,265 Posts
Ed O said:
Me, neither. Was this something that Nate is on board with, or something that Zach did because Nate loosened the reigns?

I never minded Rasheed Wallace drifting to the perimeter because I knew that he was going to be effective defensively even if he wasn't an offensive presence on the interior. But Zach becoming a jump-shooter? He really undercuts just about his only strength by doing that.

Ed O.
Sheed moving to the perimeter on occasion (usually after he had established himself down low) opened the middle for players like Bonzi and Sabonis. But who on the current Blazer team is going to play down low if Zach is out on the perimeter?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.