Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of this is going to sound kind of sappy, but I don't really care:

I am a displaced Bulls fan, like quite a few of you. The internet is really the only easy place for me to find other Bulls fans to talk with about the team. If I had another outlet, I probably wouldn't post at all, but I don't, so I do.

I have begun to realize that I agree with a lot of posters lately about the increasingly acidic and personally offensive tone of the board. The last several days it has become almost unbearable. Its starting to not be fun. Why would I come here if its not fun?

I have also begun to realize, however, that I am partly, and in my opinion a large part, responsible for the acidic, sarcastic, combative tone of the board through my own posts. I am in the process of trying to turn over a new leaf to be more considerate with my tone and to avoid responding to direct assualts upon me or others. Thats not to say that I'm not going to debate points, because that is part of the fun. But my method of discussion, and my personalization of things through discussion, needs to change.

That being said, I think it needs to change from a lot of other posters as well. This not only comes in the form of personal attacks, but also in basking in the glow of others' failed opinions (which I have been guilty of in the extreme), in deliberately wording posts so as to bait sharp responses, and in writing posts exressly pointing out the meaningless of another person's posts. Its even gotten to the point of cursing at times. There are many other things as well, but these are a few and I am guilty of many of them. I'm not pointing fingers.

I'm not a moderator, and I'm not trying to do the job of a moderator, so I hope moderators don't interpret this as me overstepping my bounds. I'm just saying what I think as a regular poster and how I'm going to try to change my own behaviour and hope that others will agree with what I'm talking about and try to make similar changes if changes are warranted.

Maybe its something to think about, or maybe I'm just a weird Penguin.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well said RC. It would be nice to keep this board civil, but not at the expense of impassioned debate. I don't even mind a few good natured barbs between certain factions of the board because most of the time I find it in good humor (if a bit sharp). Reigning in the attacks just a wee bit would do wonders but let's not be too "right way" with our posting. :clown:

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Ron Cey said:

I am a displaced Bulls fan, like quite a few of you. The internet is really the only easy place for me to find other Bulls fans to talk with about the team. If I had another outlet, I probably wouldn't post at all, but I don't, so I do.

I have begun to realize that I agree with a lot of posters lately about the increasingly acidic and personally offensive tone of the board. The last several days it has become almost unbearable. Its starting to not be fun. Why would I come here if its not fun?

I have also begun to realize, however, that I am partly, and in my opinion a large part, responsible for the acidic, sarcastic, combative tone of the board through my own posts. I am in the process of trying to turn over a new leaf to be more considerate with my tone and to avoid responding to direct assualts upon me or others. Thats not to say that I'm not going to debate points, because that is part of the fun. But my method of discussion, and my personalization of things through discussion, needs to change.

That being said, I think it needs to change from a lot of other posters as well. This not only comes in the form of personal attacks, but also in basking in the glow of others' failed opinions (which I have been guilty of in the extreme), in deliberately wording posts so as to bait sharp responses, and in writing posts exressly pointing out the meaningless of another person's posts. Its even gotten to the point of cursing at times. There are many other things as well, but these are a few and I am guilty of many of them. I'm not pointing fingers.

I'm not a moderator, and I'm not trying to do the job of a moderator, so I hope moderators don't interpret this as me overstepping my bounds. I'm just saying what I think as a regular poster and how I'm going to try to change my own behaviour and hope that others will agree with what I'm talking about and try to make similar changes if changes are warranted.

I nominate Miz to come up with and run a 12-step program for rehabbing Bulls posters. :clap:

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Ron Cey said:

I've never given anyone rep points until now. Not that I haven't wanted to, but I don't want these things to be seen as my playing favorites with anyone. In this case, I make an exception, for the obvious reasons.

I applaud this kind of effort, and agree the board needs to improve its tone. It's only by each of us taking a little extra care to check our posts before hitting "submit"

·
Sunlight in a distant sky
2,810 Posts
F'K all of you and the horses you came in on

:biggrin:

Jokes!

Increase the Peace!!!

You do man Ron ..well said but like badfish says we don't want it to become too PC / sanitised , because such a thing may rob the board of its zing which make it what it is

But personal abuse and petty oneupmanship is really about overcompensation for small penises and/or not enough sex and really has no place on a basketball message board

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Nice post, Penguin.

I've posted very sporadically since the end of last season. There are still lots of good posts and good posters, but from what I've seen, you're spot on about the tone. This isn't a mod issue. Though the forum is moderated, what you're talking about is an individual issue. I'd hate to see the mods try to legislate tone...way too gray.

One person's fun can be another person's pain (or at least frustration). If posting here ain't fun, there are other ways to spend your time.

Over the past 7 years, I've played around on a number of Bulls' boards. This was clearly the best I had found. Stuff happens and stuff changes. I join you in the hope that the changes are for the better.

·
2,810 Posts
And to give some love out to Ron ..I have always found you to be exceedingly respectful and articulate in having your differences of opinion with various people and have largely always refrained from more of a caustic , belittling style of reply

More power to you Ron

I should be better ..but I know what and who I am ..and I am a petty vindictive turd :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hey Ron Cey,

Don't be too hard on yourself. You have always been one of the folks I most enjoy reading on the blog.

I hope this does not hijack this thread, but I also want to tell you all how much I regret not participating more on this board. But my life has gotten very busy and it looks like I might be doing some work that makes it hard for me to post much more even on my blog (http://www.danrosenbaum.blogspot.com/).

In a lot of ways I owe a lot of what has happened with me to many of you who post here and at RealGM. Without you guys challenging me to learn more about things like the luxury tax and do a better job explaining my ideas about stats, I never would have had the opportunities that are coming my way. Thank you to you all.

Best wishes,
Dan

·
2,810 Posts
Dan Rosenbaum said:
Hey Ron Cey,

Don't be too hard on yourself. You have always been one of the folks I most enjoy reading on the blog.

I hope this does not hijack this thread, but I also want to tell you all how much I regret not participating more on this board. But my life has gotten very busy and it looks like I might be doing some work that makes it hard for me to post much more even on my blog (http://www.danrosenbaum.blogspot.com/).

In a lot of ways I owe a lot of what has happened with me to many of you who post here and at RealGM. Without you guys challenging me to learn more about things like the luxury tax and do a better job explaining my ideas about stats, I never would have had the opportunities that are coming my way. Thank you to you all.

Best wishes,
Dan
Double Fonzi thumbs up for you Rosenbaum

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but like badfish says we don't want it to become too PC / sanitised , because such a thing may rob the board of its zing which make it what it is
I totally agree with that. But many of my jabs are not well-meaning, and certainly direct name calling isn't. There is good natured ribbing, and then there is basically calling someone a waste of space and meaning it.

But personal abuse and petty oneupmanship is really about overcompensation for small penises and/or not enough sex and really has no place on a basketball message board
I can't comment on that for lack of personal experience. I'll have to take your word for it. I have no doubt that you are a reliable source for such information. (see how polite that was)

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
good sentiment in this thread. I post more sporadically partly because of the animosities that have burst through at times.

But I do want to say that the quality of content of posts has never been better, once you filter out the personal grudges and transparent agenda-pushing (of which I've also partaken from time to time). The Eddy Curry drama this summer grew bitter and partisan, but there was some absolutely outstanding information being posted and debated. I think even a moderate effort to keep the posts about business and not about which side you're on can make this a fantastic board all the way around.

But these things go in phases. We had Jay/Jamal, Kirk/Jamal, fire Pax/Skiles vs. don't fire them, Curry vs. Pax, and we'll have more contentious issues down the road. Sometimes those topics bog down the board's tone and little refreshers like this might be necessary. As long as some amount of introspection takes place when necessary, things will work out. The caliber of the minds and posters here is top-notch, regardless of opinion.

Reactions: MikeDC

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Great job Ron Cey, you are completely right.

I had pretty much concluded earlier today to take a several month, perhaps permanent break from this board because it appeared to me that engaging in the negative things Ron described was the goal of lots of folks here and that it wasn't going to change. OK, maybe it will.

As a final point, it's definitely not overstepping bounds to try and change the tone here. As a former mod, one thing that's clear is that mods can't set the tone. They're a few people and there are a lot of posters here. It's incumbant on everyone to try and steer things in the right way.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Mikedc said:
Great job Ron Cey, you are completely right.

I had pretty much concluded earlier today to take a several month, perhaps permanent break from this board because it appeared to me that engaging in the negative things Ron described was the goal of lots of folks here and that it wasn't going to change. OK, maybe it will.

As a final point, it's definitely not overstepping bounds to try and change the tone here. As a former mod, one thing that's clear is that mods can't set the tone. They're a few people and there are a lot of posters here. It's incumbant on everyone to try and steer things in the right way.
Exactly.

Props to everyone in this thread.

Now, back to my 24-hour takehome final exam in Copyright. Yall moderate yourselves for a while. :biggrin:

·
Turned Thabo Fanatic
751 Posts
Mikedc said:
It's incumbant on everyone to try and steer things in the right way.
Yes, this is the BULLS forum, so we must steer everything the 'right way' now, including our posts! There is no I in message board, so we must come together as a team of posters!

Before you post, please ask yourself, would Pax and Skiles approve of this post? If not, then don't post. Also, if Isaiah or Larry Brown would approve, then posting is not recommended. Just a suggestion. Or if that'd get way too boring (as I'm sure it would), then just post whatever you'd like with less internal combativeness and greater consideration of others.

Go Bulls!

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Fizer Fanatic said:
Yes, this is the BULLS forum, so we must steer everything the 'right way' now, including our posts! There is no I in message board, so we must come together as a team of posters!

Before you post, please ask yourself, would Pax and Skiles approve of this post? If not, then don't post. Also, if Isaiah or Larry Brown would approve, then posting is not recommended. Just a suggestion. Or if that'd get way too boring (as I'm sure it would), then just post whatever you'd like with less internal combativeness and greater consideration of others.

Go Bulls!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

outstanding.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Ron Cey said:

Great post.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Like everyone else that has posted, I'll agree with Ron Cey. Having opinions and good natured barbing is great, but there is definitely a point where people can overstep their bounds.

To me, that point has definitely been reached, evidenced by the fact that a lot of really good posters like Rhyder, Wynn, and Transplant have decided to stop posting because of the atmosphere around here. And really, the only way for the problem to solve itself is if posters start taking individual accountability for their own posts, and that whole concept has been waning on this board for some time.

Also.......................

Could this possibly be the new board tag line?

Debating basketball 'The Right Way"??

1 - 20 of 41 Posts