Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Tyson Chandler with a jump shot? Actually in his rookie year i'd take him over Chandler.

Future? It's the Knicks so you never know.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
Chandler's a better rebounder

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
PER?

This is Frye's rookie season. And the difference between them offensively is enuff for me to pick Channing for the future.

·
Yeah..A Knicks Fan
834 Posts
BigMac said:
how good do you think he will become? who does he remind you of?
One of Channing's best qualities whenever I've watched him (unfortuantely not as often as I'd like) is that he is an excellent mid-range catch-and-shoot player. He also uses his long arms to deter shots, even if he doesn't block them, and he disrupts passing lanes. He doesn't seem to be all that great a rebounder, but his man doesn't get the rebounds either, so I guess its okay. It will probably come with experience.

EDIT: Also, I think he has potential to become a Marcus Camby-type player. You can't run an offense around him, but he will be a great complimentry player for someone.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
And some thought I was crazy when I said he would be a good player. Some even had the nerve to compare him to Jason Collins, I think one of those draft sites called him a career backup center

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Chandler is a much better defender, rebounder and shot blocker at the 4 spot. He hasn't been as impressive since he moved to the 5, but he probably still has those advantages over Frye. It's still too early to tell.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Chandler has been in the league for more than 4 years and his game still hasn't improved that much, this year he's getting exposed at Center.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You don't think Chandler's game has improved that much? Offense hasn't, but the rest has imo. Frye is definitely looking like he's not a bust as some thought he would be (me included) but remember that he went to 4 years of college so this is that impressive. also remember that tayshaun prince went to 4 years of college and wasn't that impressive his first year (except the playoffs).

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
SlamJam said:
frye=22 1/2 yrs old
chandler=23 years old

frye aint getting that much better
Frye is going to get better. I think he is just one of those players whose game translates to the NBA better than college. Just being able to catch passes and finish is very underrated.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
Frye's disappointed me at the defensive end, but his jumpshot is very nice. A broke man's Camby or Bill Gate's Rasho Nesterovic. Somewhere in between.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I don't think he's very much like Camby or Chandler. But he appears pretty polished on offense, and he can rebound.

·
Registered
969 Posts
During last night's Suns/Nets game, Richard Jefferson in an interview mentioned that Lute Olson, RJ's coach at Arizona, teaches the NBA game to his kids. I mean, look at some of the recent/active NBA players he's come out with, besides the rookies, namely Salim Stoudamire, and the person this thread is about:

Richard Jefferson
Damon Stoudamire
Mike Bibby
Luke Walton
Gilbert Arenas
Jason Terry
Andre Iguodala

With the exception of Luke, who has had his moments, all are doing reasonably well in the NBA.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Frye is meshing in in the NBA as well as he is, though UofA is known as "Point Guard U", so Channing being a big-man is an exception.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Jason Gardner, Khalid Reeves, Reggie Geary, Miles Simon, AJ Bramlett, Joe Blair, Ray Owes, Michael Wright, Loren Woods.

Arizona has just as many weak or non-NBA players at they do good ones.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I like Frye, he's got a good offensive game, and it helps that he's done 4 years of college ball that helps his maturity, no where near as TD overall, but his offensive game can be compared to tims i think with a sorta inside outside shot, defensive game something like.....eddy curry...but a bit better, because look at the minutes he's getting...

·
Sexy Moderator
13,497 Posts
I was one of the many who thought he wasn't going to do anything in the league based on what I seen in the summer league. Boy was I wrong. Nice jump shot..and the kid can actually rebound despite what the critics thought when he was drafted that he a poor rebounder. Once again Zeke does well in the draft just not on free agent signings.

·
Registered
969 Posts
HKF said:
Jason Gardner, Khalid Reeves, Reggie Geary, Miles Simon, AJ Bramlett, Joe Blair, Ray Owes, Michael Wright, Loren Woods.

Arizona has just as many weak or non-NBA players at they do good ones.
Well as was mentioned, Lute teaches the NBA game. Not everyone necessarily absorbs them...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts