Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sources close to the team, say charles oakley will be offered a 1 year 2.6 million deal to be the teams backup pf/c.

I see this as an addition to the 76ers problems, sure oakley is a decent basketball player, but why add another "derrek coleman" attitude to the team, when your already trying to get rid of one (dc).

I think the 76ers need to think hard on who+what they really want, instead of just dealing with what they can get,

In my opinion, i think the 76ers should go after derek anderson, derek anderson is a solid player, whom would bring a good attitude to the game, and would give the 6ers the other scoreing option they have despretly been needing.

Philly Trades:
Alvin Jones, Aaron Mckie or Derek Coleman
Philly Gets:
Derek Anderson

Portland Trades:
Derek Anderson
Portland Gets:
Alvin Jones, Aaron Mckie or Derek Coleman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Last year Coleman did not bring a bad attitude to the team, he brought old legs and some nice skills. He is not in the future picture, and the sooner they replace him with younger quality the better. but lets name the real reasons.

If Oakley came, it would be because they have no confidence at back-up center in Dalembert, Jones, Bryant or Rentzias, and MacCullough is a limited minutes player. Coleman is considerably better than Oakley, with the exception of perimeter defense, which is important in the new style NBA, with the mobile PF's.

Sam Clancy may develop if he gets time, and might make a decent tamden with Van Horn.

The problem with rebuilding for the 76ers is that Iverson will not easily tolerate the process. The East is relatively weak, so you can mix together a decent team and stay competitive without rebuilding. But it is short sighted, in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
What about trading Oakley signed at $2.6M and Eddie Robinson for DC?

Eddie would free up more time for KVH at PF and would add some need athleticism. He also is not a bad scorer. He is an injury-risk, but this deal is only costing you DC.

This deal would save Philly $7.1M in salary and luxury taxes this year, versus signing Oakley outright.

Would you be willing to throw in a second rounder or heavily protected first rounder to sweeten the deal for Chicago?

I suspect that Chicago might waive DC if this deal went down, in which case Philly might be able to get him back again, if you wanted him.
 

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
Joined
·
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!
What about trading Oakley signed at $2.6M and Eddie Robinson for DC?

Eddie would free up more time for KVH at PF and would add some need athleticism. He also is not a bad scorer. He is an injury-risk, but this deal is only costing you DC.

This deal would save Philly $7.1M in salary and luxury taxes this year, versus signing Oakley outright.

Would you be willing to throw in a second rounder or heavily protected first rounder to sweeten the deal for Chicago?

I suspect that Chicago might waive DC if this deal went down, in which case Philly might be able to get him back again, if you wanted him.
Wouldnt happen cause Oakley was in CHicago last year and didnt want to be there and I know that he wouldnt want to go back there. He wants a Championship and he aint getting it with Chicago right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!


Wouldnt happen cause Oakley was in CHicago last year and didnt want to be there and I know that he wouldnt want to go back there. He wants a Championship and he aint getting it with Chicago right now
Huh? The Bulls would trade Oakley and Robinson to Philly for DC.
 

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
Joined
·
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!


Huh? The Bulls would trade Oakley and Robinson to Philly for DC.
What I'm saying is that the Bulls would not sign Oakley again and trade him with Robinson to Philly after every thing that went down between Oakley and the Bulls last year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Oakley has been working out at the Berto Center this summer (working with Chandler and Curry), which would be rather strange if he was so upset with the Bulls that he wouldn't allow them to S&T to another team.

Also, if that was the case, the Bulls would have renounced Oakley, which they haven't. Oakley's bark is worse than his bite. He made a lot of noise last year, because he loves to be ornery with the press.

But I think he still has a pretty good relationship with the front office folks and Cartwright. Remember Floyd took the wrath of most of his obnoxious statements.
 

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
Joined
·
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!
Oakley has been working out at the Berto Center this summer (working with Chandler and Curry), which would be rather strange if he was so upset with the Bulls that he wouldn't allow them to S&T to another team.

Also, if that was the case, the Bulls would have renounced Oakley, which they haven't. Oakley's bark is worse than his bite. He made a lot of noise last year, because he loves to be ornery with the press.

But I think he still has a pretty good relationship with the front office folks and Cartwright. Remember Floyd took the wrath of most of his obnoxious statements.
Everything you are saying is correct and I am definitley not disputing that but if you listened to any off his interviews and things hes said in papers you would know he dont want to be there. Helping someone out to get better and playing for a team that is not going to win a championship any time soon is a big difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!


Huh? The Bulls would trade Oakley and Robinson to Philly for DC.
Beez, I am not sure how I can say this in any plainer language. Oakley would never again play for Chicago. The Bulls would sign Oakley and trade Oakley and Robinson to Philly for DC.

Oakley would play for Philly and not for the Bulls.

Oakley and Robinson would be wearing Sixers uniforms next year, and DC would be wearing a Bulls uniform, unless the Bulls waived him.

And the Berto center is owned by the Bulls. If Oakley and the Bulls hated each other enough that Oakley would not allow himself to be traded to another team, do you think they would allow him to use their facilities?
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top