Votes: 63 71.6%
  • No

Votes: 25 28.4%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my first view was that the Raptors wasted there pick on getting Charlie but so far this season hes proved me wrong. He got a carrer high 26 agaisnt Seattle and his putting up good rebounding and points numbers. Now that Joey Graham has been dropped to the bench could this mean a starting spot for Villinueva or even possible Rookie Of The Year Honours

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Sure, he could win. I don't really think he's the favourite because Chris Paul is going to be flat-out leading that Hornets team, putting up big numbers; Charlie's going to be coming off the bench, putting up big numbers. Both will be playing for teams with poor records so that shouldn't have too much of an impact.

The deciding factor might come down to minute. It looks like Mitchell plans on playing Charlie close to 30 mpg I'd guess, as the season goes on, as he isn't using his other bigs all that much. Paul is going to get plenty too but Speedy Claxton is also playing well.

Of course there are other guys and it looks like Bogut is going to be having an impact on a winning team. I just don't know if he's going to get the minutes (with Magloire) or the shots (with Redd).

There are plenty of good rooks that are really going to improve as the season goes on but I like Charlie and Paul at this point.

·
I Love This Game
2,596 Posts
how can people vote no?! the poll says "CAN" he win the MVP not will he. No one can give me any reason rire now that would say CharlieV does not have a solid shot at winning it this year

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
KobeBryant08 said:
how can people vote no?! the poll says "CAN" he win the MVP not will he. No one can give me any reason rire now that would say CharlieV does not have a solid shot at winning it this year
After seeing a few of these guys play at the NBA level, the only player who I would say is a solid shot right now is Chris Paul.

·
Registered
719 Posts
the rookie that surpise me the most right now is Channing Frye didn't think he was going to be anything but so far in this young season he has prove me wrong. :banana: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
He sure proved me wrong. Looking back you realize that Babcock actually had a really nice draft. Ukic, Charlie V and Golden Graham are going to be very good players in a couple of years.
By just watching Charlie play, you know he's something special. You can see how easily and how naturally his offense is, and his rebounding. He lets the game come to him, and being only 21 I see a lot of potential for the future.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have money on Chris Paul for the ROTY ($60 at 9:1). This guy is a threat to that :D

Having said that, I can't help but hope he is a major positive for Toronto fans this season... they deserve it.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Turkish Delight said:
He sure proved me wrong. Looking back you realize that Babcock actually had a really nice draft. Ukic, Charlie V and Golden Graham are going to be very good players in a couple of years.
By just watching Charlie play, you know he's something special. You can see how easily and how naturally his offense is, and his rebounding. He lets the game come to him, and being only 21 I see a lot of potential for the future.
Agreed, he looks good offensively, and very good at times. I love how he tries to work it inside a lot, and get paints in the point. Hopefully he keeps that motivation through his career and doesn't settle for jumpshots as he becomes a better shooter. I'm becoming a fan of Charlie V.

Also, even though it wasn't through the draft, Jose is a rook too, that's 4 very solid rooks on one team (even though one is over-seas). Even if Ukic doesn't come over, Jose is very good in his own right, I'm becoming a big fan of him as well.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Yeah, it's weird (although I guess it shouldn't be) that Babcock's job is basically gone, after he's put together probably his finest work (being the draft, and Calderon).

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Proved me wrong. I didn't think he'd be a bust, but definitely didn't think he can put up these numbers in his rookie year either.

Turns out he was a steal instead of a reach.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Greg Ostertag! said:
Yeah, it's weird (although I guess it shouldn't be) that Babcock's job is basically gone, after he's put together probably his finest work (being the draft, and Calderon).
Babcock's job isn't gone. Or anywhere near that. There are a lot of stupid networks such as ESPN that just like to hate on him because he hasn't made the 'popular' picks in the draft. It was pretty dissapointing seeing them bash Babcock because he drafted Charlie V. What are they going to say now?
Raptors fans understand that Babcock inherited this job at a bad position. He's had to clean a lot of things up, but in a couple of seasons it'll all be well worth it.
Look at the makeup of this team right now.
As you said you have Calderon, Charlie V, and Graham - all rookies + Ukic who will come to Toronto in 2007. Then you have Bonner, Rafael Araujo (hasn't shown me much of anything) , Pape Sow - all second year guys. And Chris Bosh a third year pro who is getting better and better.
Factor in two more 1st rounders that Toronto will be getting this season, and you have a damn good team for the future.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
If he keeps getting minutes Charlie will have a very nice line for the season. He is a dynamic offensive player. He has his work cut out for him to be a ROTY candidate but it's really on him.

Bill Simmons had an interesting comment a little while ago, saying that the criticism Charlie faced after being drafted so high might've gone a long way to improving his attitude--playing with the proverbial chip on the shoulder.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I didnt think he was a bust, i thought #7 was just too high for him but even more so i thought he should have stayed an extra year at Uconn. He has impressed though, cant say otherwise, really impressive.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I benched him on my fantasy team tonight.

:curse:

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
BigMac said:
the rookie that surpise me the most right now is Channing Frye didn't think he was going to be anything but so far in this young season he has prove me wrong. :banana: :cheers:
Agreed. From what people were writing about him, I thought he was a terrible rebounder and played no defense. But he looks a pretty good rebounder and a decent defender, too, so far. And he has a nice offensive game. Foul prone, though.

·
I Love This Game
2,596 Posts
kamego said:
After seeing a few of these guys play at the NBA level, the only player who I would say is a solid shot right now is Chris Paul.
CharlieV had 27pts 13rbs 1bs and 0 turnovers tonite. Thats a KG type of night! how can say that he doesnt have a chance of winning the ROY?!?!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts