Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last I heard, Charlotte was trying to work out a two-year, slightly above minimum deal with Malcolm Thomas. I am not sure if it was Charlotte's side or Thomas' side that ended talks, but no deal has been made and Charlotte is moving on.

We should be able to sign Thomas outright to a minimum deal with our remaining cap. I am unsure if we are competing with some overseas offer, but would love bringing him on board if not.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Sounds like a plan. We could use an energy guy like him.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Energy guy not equal to bum

His job will be to bring some energy, if he signs with us. If he becomes our jeremy lin, hey, great!

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Energy guy not equal to bum

His job will be to bring some energy, if he signs with us. If he becomes our jeremy lin, hey, great!
In my world, energy guy = Bum.

Scalabrine = Energy Guy aka Bum.

Noah is an average player with a high motor, not necessarily an energy guy.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
No, he's not. However, calling him average is totally dishonest, and you know it. There's no need to resort to falsehood to make an argument.
The guy is averaging 9 points and 8 rebounds for his entire career. Hes a center who can't guard centers, he never plays a full season, hes a so called big man who cant play big man offense and hes a fantastic rebounder and decent passer. The guy makes easy plays look better than they are because it takes every bit of energy and hustle for him to make those plays.

Some similar player comparisons from Database-basketball have him compared to guys like

Darnell Hillman
Stanley Roberts
Mike Green
Billy Thompson
Mel Turpin
Roy Hibbert
Gheorghe Muresan
Tyrus Thomas
Richard Washington
Jahidi White
Bill Garnet
John Kancak
Jamal Magloire

While not saying hes exactly like these guys, or that he wont end up better than most of these guys, my point is hes hovering around that average label IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
The guy is averaging 9 points and 8 rebounds for his entire career. Hes a center who can't guard centers, he never plays a full season, hes a so called big man who cant play big man offense and hes a fantastic rebounder and decent passer. The guy makes easy plays look better than they are because it takes every bit of energy and hustle for him to make those plays.

Some similar player comparisons from Database-basketball have him compared to guys like

Darnell Hillman
Stanley Roberts
Mike Green
Billy Thompson
Mel Turpin
Roy Hibbert
Gheorghe Muresan
Tyrus Thomas
Richard Washington
Jahidi White
Bill Garnet
John Kancak
Jamal Magloire

While not saying hes exactly like these guys, or that he wont end up better than most of these guys, my point is hes hovering around that average label IMO.

To reflect reality now, a more appropriate approach would be to look at recent numbers rather than career, and to compare to other centers only (apples to apples).

You can try to massage the stats all you want, but I guarantee you there is not a single NBA GM that thinks Noah is an average NBA center. To assess that, just take a list of all NBA centers and tell me whether Noah is the middle guy. No way.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
To reflect reality now, a more appropriate approach would be to look at recent numbers rather than career, and to compare to other centers only (apples to apples).

You can try to massage the stats all you want, but I guarantee you there is not a single NBA GM that thinks Noah is an average NBA center. To assess that, just take a list of all NBA centers and tell me whether Noah is the middle guy. No way.
Hes 19th in scoring for big men.
7th in rebounding.
16th in blocks per game.

Just because the center position in the NBA sucks ass, doesn't mean I have to call Noah a great center. Sure hes better than a lot of centers in the NBA, but he doesn't do the things that most people want out of their 5.

I guess we can both agree that Noah is slightly above average at the 5, but I strongly believe that he is an average PLAYER period.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think Malcolm Thomas' minimum is just a little over what the Bulls can still offer.
He is a rookie, correct?

My understanding is that the Bulls have enough cap space to sign a rookie to a minimum deal now. They can offer a second-year player a minimum contract with 81 games remaining and can offer a vet min contract with something around 72 games remaining.

·
1.7%
7,363 Posts
He is a rookie, correct?

My understanding is that the Bulls have enough cap space to sign a rookie to a minimum deal now. They can offer a second-year player a minimum contract with 81 games remaining and can offer a vet min contract with something around 72 games remaining.
Sophomore year player actually, I think

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Hes 19th in scoring for big men.
7th in rebounding.
16th in blocks per game.

Just because the center position in the NBA sucks ass, doesn't mean I have to call Noah a great center. Sure hes better than a lot of centers in the NBA, but he doesn't do the things that most people want out of their 5.

I guess we can both agree that Noah is slightly above average at the 5, but I strongly believe that he is an average PLAYER period.

Average starter or average player on an NBA roster. Because come on, there's no argument he's simply an average player. That was mostly what I was trying to get at. Also, the fact that he's a 5 makes him more valuable. You figure there are sixty to eighty centers in the NBA. Where do you figure Noah fits?

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So the Nets can afford to sign Josh Childress and Andre Blatche, and we can't afford Malcom Thomas??
We can only afford a minimum contract to a rookie for the full season. We can't go above the handcuff having used the bi-annual exception. If Thomas can get more than a minimum deal, then we can't add him. Hopefully, that's not the case and we do.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Average starter or average player on an NBA roster. Because come on, there's no argument he's simply an average player. That was mostly what I was trying to get at. Also, the fact that he's a 5 makes him more valuable. You figure there are sixty to eighty centers in the NBA. Where do you figure Noah fits?
Yeah hes an average to slightly above average starter I guess. His quickness makes him pretty valuable at the 5 but his size is a problem. There are many people who think hes a 4 playing the 5. I want to see more out of Noah, but all I keep seeing is more of the same. Just because the NBA is lacking true quality 5's doesn't mean we should not be looking for an upgrade.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Malcolm Thomas, Malcolm Thomas, Malcolm Thomas.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts