Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The key to Charlott's success this year will depend on the following: Does Alan Major get a handle on this head coaching thing quickly; does Chris Braswell take the next step into becoming a dominant player; does Jamar Briscoe grab the reins at point and provide leadership and some scoring punch; and does Charlotte find a consistent scoring threat at wing forward. We know what Spears and Green will bring. It's the other things that will be crucial.

Should be very interesting to see the new-look Niners, with an emphasis on defense and a more disciplined offense that Major promises.

NONCON SCHEDULE

W - GARDNER-WEBB
W – SOUTH CAROLINA STATE
L - George Mason (Charleston Classic)
W - East Carolina (Charleston Classic)
W - South Carolina Upstate or Coastal Carolina (Charleston Classic)
L - At Oregon State
W - RADFORD
W- At East Carolina
W - WINTHROP
W - At Davidson
L - TENNESSEE
W- WRIGHT STATE
W - At Mercer
L - At Ga Tech

10-4 nonconference

The Niners get an easy start with a rebuilding Gardner-Webb (new coach), and then in a strange scheduling quirk, play South Carolina State the next day. Both are home games against weak opponents, but I still don't like back-to-back games.

The third game is critical. Hard for me to take a rookie coach over Jim Larranaga, especially when he's returning all five starters from a 20-win team. Losing that game, however, would put Charlotte onto a low RPI path. If the team beats Mason, Charlotte would get a date with NC State next (and a beatable Wolfpack team at that).

Oregon State doesnt have more talent than Charlotte, but it's a long flight just a few days after the 3-game event in Charleston. Niners return for home cookng and should get on a streak. Normally I pick Charlotte to lose at Davidson, but this time I think the Niners have the better team and will pull it out. Tennessee is young but very talented. Niners will have a better chance than last year, but I don't think they have enough backcourt depth to handle the VOls' press.

Wright State loses Brad Brownell, and that should make Charlotte's job easier. Mercer is not as good as they were a few years ago. Ga TEch is very beatable. Not great size, but they do have a potent wing attack. I'd like to think that charlotte beats either Tenn or Ga tech, but I go conservative.

BONUS:

A-10 PREDICTION: 9-7. (18-11 overall)

I don't like the Niners' unbalanced sked. Xavier and Richmond are two of the top four teams in the league and GW is rising. Charlotte also has to play SJU, Bonaventure, Duquesne, Rhode Island, Temple and St. Louis on the road.

Of course, Charlotte is the biggest unknown in the league with the coaching change. Major and Lutz are nothing alike. So this is quite a guess.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Nice work WH, I really like the talent in Char. but I think it will take some time for Major and the players to adjust to each other. I would be happy at 9-4 and 9-7 but I think they have the potential for better.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
WH, are you going to be doing this for every team again for the OOC predictions? If so...THANKS!!! I'll start getting the list together to keep score again similarly to the way I did last year and survivor did the year before.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am making predictions for all the teams in the noncon sked, rogabee. They will be coming out over the next week or two. We have to have a league score card, afterall!

·
Registered
763 Posts
It seems that Charlotte is capable of big nights and big wins. How soon can Major get them playing cohesively on both ends of the floor? If he's the next John Wooden, Charlotte has the talent to win this league.

(And WH, thank you. Your threads always bring out the best in this board.)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Every year I think Charlotte has as much raw talent in the league as anyone to do serious damage and yet they underachieve. Its no secret I thought Bobby Lutz was nearly worthless as a coach and more importantly a disciplinarian. Im high on the Niners again and think the coaching change will be a step forward not a step back. Still, the Niners seem to find ways every year to lose 1-2 non-con games against teams that are beyond the pale of terrible. Sometimes theyve even lost these games by 20-25 points. Zero consistency. Good enough to wax Dayton and Xavier in the league, and then two nights later lose to Cal Bakersfield by three touchdowns.

Should be interesting to see the new coach do his thing. Personally I believe it was a couple years overdue.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The key to Charlott's success this year will depend on the following: Does Alan Major get a handle on this head coaching thing quickly; does Chris Braswell take the next step into becoming a dominant player; does Jamar Briscoe grab the reins at point and provide leadership and some scoring punch; and does Charlotte find a consistent scoring threat at wing forward. We know what Spears and Green will bring. It's the other things that will be crucial.

Should be very interesting to see the new-look Niners, with an emphasis on defense and a more disciplined offense that Major promises.
Thanks for the preview. I also wonder if Braswell will take the next step with a new coach, one who might have more ability to develop big men. Whether the team can play defense is a key question, because Lutz had them quite befuddled the last few years.

I disagree with your statement about Green. While Spears was pretty consistent, Green was all over the place within and between games, with several game slumps and unbelievable play in-between. I think it's a real question whether Green will become more consistent, take better shots, and learn to deal with pressure (GW really caused him problems).

I suspect you will be right about the George Mason loss, but I really hope you're wrong, for Charlotte's postseason hopes and the league rpi strength. That will be a huge difference to lose that first game (assuming the other teams expected to win actually do). Of course we'd still have to do well in the league, and that is a killer schedule.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The biggest key to our season will be Jamar Briscoe and Luka Voncina. Hell, we don't even know if Voncina (a freshman) is eligible yet.

Briscoe will have the keys to the ship, and he's a proven scorer. But, Deuce has never had a frontcourt with the talent of Chris Braswell and Shamari Spears. Personally, I think it'll benefit him, due to the fact that he can get a breather and let the big boys go to work. We have plenty of scoring to go around, and decent size at every position. Major has said he will bring a more balanced offense than we've seen in the past. Hopefully that means Spears and Braswell will be working 1 on 1 in the low block more.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Every year I think Charlotte has as much raw talent in the league as anyone to do serious damage and yet they underachieve. Its no secret I thought Bobby Lutz was nearly worthless as a coach and more importantly a disciplinarian. Im high on the Niners again and think the coaching change will be a step forward not a step back. Still, the Niners seem to find ways every year to lose 1-2 non-con games against teams that are beyond the pale of terrible. Sometimes theyve even lost these games by 20-25 points. Zero consistency. Good enough to wax Dayton and Xavier in the league, and then two nights later lose to Cal Bakersfield by three touchdowns.

Should be interesting to see the new coach do his thing. Personally I believe it was a couple years overdue.
While I wasn't a big fan of Lutz as coach (great guy otherwise of course), he wasn't bad when he had the right players. His style was heavy reliance on the 3-ball and gimmicky defensive switches and traps. This is why Charlotte would often pull off big upsets (somebody got hot and the other team was unprepared for the gimmicks and traps) and lose to crappy teams (everybody was cold and the other team was disciplined enough to test the D). On his better teams, Lutz had good athletes in the post that could make up for poor positioning and multiple outside shooters so that at least one of them was hitting shots most nights. Since entering the A10, we haven't had that, and Lutz has never adjusted his style well to fit different players with less athleticism and different skill sets. I think he got a little complacent, and never really sold A10 play to the recruits, resulting in a death spiral of subpar jucos and transfers.

In his younger years, I bet Lutz does a better job with the last 5 teams.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I thought Lutz was an awful coach regarding offensive sets however I do hope Major utilizes Braswell at the free throw line with Spears on the low block like Lutz did last year. Braswell was one of our better passers into the low post and surprisingly was pretty good at taking his man to the basket from the ft line. If he could work on finishing after contact and a free throw line jumper that could be a very potent play for us this year.

Agree with Ninerballin on Green being a little inconsistent but I believe that was mainly due to his confidence. He and Dewhurst by far have the worst body language when things aren't going well for them and it really effects both of their games on the offensive side of the ball.

With all that said I think the starting line up is fairly solid my biggest question mark for the team is what will they get from the bench. Javarris Barnett seems to play well at times but couldn't find consistent minutes with Lutz and Gokhan Sirin needs to show some improvement after a year of getting used to the college game. KJ Sherrill has the athletic ability to be a good change of pace from Spears at the 4 spot and I am hoping Coach Major can light a fire in Phil Jones that Lutz wasn't able to.

If Coach Major can get this team to gel early this could be a great year or we could have some growing pains and struggle in conference play. None the less I am excited for the fresh start with Coach Major and can't wait for the first game to get here.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rworkman: If you go back a bit, Davidson has beaten Charlotte two of the last three games they played at Davidson, including one pre-Curry game. Guess I remember those two losses more than all the wins.

Antboy: You sort of echoed my point. I expect Green to be hot and cold, like last year, but hopefully a little more disciplined and efficient. He just seems to be a very streaky player naturally. It will be interesting to see if Major puts a much tighter leash on him.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rworkman: If you go back a bit, Davidson has beaten Charlotte two of the last three games they played at Davidson, including one pre-Curry game. Guess I remember those two losses more than all the wins.Antboy: You sort of echoed my point. I expect Green to be hot and cold, like last year, but hopefully a little more disciplined and efficient. He just seems to be a very streaky player naturally. It will be interesting to see if Major puts a much tighter leash on him.
I think you and most A10 fans (and younger/newer 49er fans) do only seem to know about Charlotte the last few years. Where as older Niners still view us as the team we were from 1988-2005 (ie; consistent NCAA team, with multiple league titles and almost ALWAYS in the hunt) and still expect to get back there at any time now. I can SORT of understand it from the A10 fans, but it still frustrates me......BY the way, you definitely need to check into the Charlotte/Davidson all-time series. Charlotte leads it 26-10 and even beat them in their Elite 8 year (at the peak of Curry-time).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to set the record straight on Davidson, since 2000 we are 6-2 against them. Our only two losses came in 2002-03 and in 2006-07 when we had really bad teams (finishing below .500 both of those seasons I think). We normally beat them.. including the year Curry went off and they went to the elite 8.

That said, I don’t really know what to expect out of us this year either. Your projections look reasonably accurate. Coming off a 19 win season (which involved a complete collapse down the stretch), with most of the same players and a (presumably) better coach, I’m cautiously optimistic. PG is a real question mark in my mind right now and will have a big impact on how the season goes. Really hope we can beat George Mason… wish we had a couple more games before that tourney.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am well aware of the Charlotte all-time record vs. Davidson, and I obviously hope the historical pattern resumes. Davidson has beaten a bunch of A-10 teams in the past 7-8 years, which is why I've been leery of the school. It's not just about Charlotte. My school, UMass, has lost to Davidson at least twice in the past decade.

I think most A-10 fans would like to see Charlotte regain its stature as a top program. That's why I was happy with the coaching change. Something had to be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am well aware of the Charlotte all-time record vs. Davidson, and I obviously hope the historical pattern resumes. Davidson has beaten a bunch of A-10 teams in the past 7-8 years, which is why I've been leery of the school. It's not just about Charlotte. My school, UMass, has lost to Davidson at least twice in the past decade.

I think most A-10 fans would like to see Charlotte regain its stature as a top program. That's why I was happy with the coaching change. Something had to be done.
Absolutely. We were in a downward spiral for sure... it looked like Lutz was about to pull us out of it a couple of times, but it never happened.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think you and most A10 fans (and younger/newer 49er fans) do only seem to know about Charlotte the last few years. Where as older Niners still view us as the team we were from 1988-2005 (ie; consistent NCAA team, with multiple league titles and almost ALWAYS in the hunt) and still expect to get back there at any time now. I can SORT of understand it from the A10 fans, but it still frustrates me......BY the way, you definitely need to check into the Charlotte/Davidson all-time series. Charlotte leads it 26-10 and even beat them in their Elite 8 year (at the peak of Curry-time).

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/h2h/north-carolina-charlotte_vs_davidson

Stat sheet is missing 3 games since the record is 26-10.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Davidson game is the only game I would like to see Lutz coach this year. The way they cancelled the game and then "couldn't" reschedule one of their games after we had already rescheduled ours to keep the series going was bush league. Their is definitely added incentive from the AD this year in laying a beat down on them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.