Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see any thread about this here. Did I miss it? Over at OregonLive.com, people are talking about a radio interview Cheeks did today on 910. Apparently, he said that McInnis was a TERRIBLE teammate, always blaming others, and only ever caring about his own stats.

Wow, I had no idea.

The only thing that ever bothered me about this deal was chemistry issues, and now it sounds like this deal can only improve our chemistry big time!!!

Sounds like we got a great GREAT deal.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I would not believe O-Live....Did anyone on this board hear this? and why would Cheeks go off about Mcinnis? i mean it seems kind of childish if he did go off.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
It was mentioned on the message board by someone who heard it. Several people were clearly listening and a friend IMed me and told me the same thing too.

Here's a very reliable person's post:

68540. Mo Cheeks' interview on 910:
by BBfan4life, 1/23/04 20:43 ET
Ok, I took notes for you:What's the story on Dale Davis? Dale had a meeting with John Nash and never came back. He'll talk to him tonight to find out what's going on with him. Mo was asked if Dale doesn't want to be a Blazer anymore. Mo said No that's not it, he's a professional. He will play tomorrow but not start. Tomorrow's starters will be: Z-Bo, Wallace at Center (yeaaa), Rubin, DA and Damon.

Qyntel needs to be on the floor, but the way Rubin has been playing, Rubin's earned the most minutes. Q will get some minutes though. Also, he is young and will make mistakes; they know that.

How big was Sacto's win? Cheeks said we should get 2 wins for that one. (ha ha). He said he was literally smacking guys and said we will NOT lose this game; he would not allow a loss. He said DA said the same thing: WE WILL NOT LOSE!

What drive Cheeks nuts? Being able to beat Kings twice, Lakers, etc., and loose to Golden State (and other weaker teams). He said he told the guys they can't be a good basketball player (or team) only 1 day a week. Has to be more consistant than that.

Zach is all star caliber, but there are players that won't make it to the All Stars that should. When a coach picks them and a really big deal to the player; means alot to them.

Jeff McGinnis - needed to move him. Jeff said, "I only played 18 no masked swearin' please ******* minutes!" He was more concerned with his individual time over the results of the game. He should have only cared that they lost the game, not how many minutes he played. Mo said he was a valuable player but needs to work on the "team" game.

Darius will NOT play the 5, 2, or 1. He will play the 3. Important to have a stationery position for him. He'll play around 10 to 20 minutes tomorrow. Rubin is first (earned his minutes). But Darius can push the ball up and down the floor, he can run and jump. He's a quiet person. When introduced to Jerome Kersey, he said, "Year, I know who he is." He knew Jerome's history. Knowledgeable, knows alot about basketball.

That's about it!

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
It's possible that Cheeks is pissed off at Jeff because him and McInnis got into an argument or something of that nature. If they did get into a fight things could have been said that hurt his feelings and he still hasn't gotten over it.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another one of the several posts chronicling Cheeks' comments about McInnis (I had no idea Jeffrey was such a problem!):

68540.1. mcinnis
by NFhouse, 1/23/04 20:46 ET
Re: Mo Cheeks' interview on 910: by BBfan4life, 1/23/04
the mcinnis part was great and he actually spent quite a bit of time and went out of his way to say he's an average player and a way below average teammate and player for a coach. way to go Mo! its nice to see coaches have some balls once in a while

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I caught the tail end of that interview on my way home. I missed what Cheeks said, but the two hosts of the show were making comments about gee coach; don't hold back on anything as they alluded to Coach Cheeks venting. However I didn't know that it was about McInnis. Sounds like Cheeks just unloaded on his frustrations to me.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's also interesting to hear about our new starting line up:

Damon, DA, Ruben, Z-Bo, Sheed.

Gosh, that makes our defense so much better out of the gate.

And our 2nd unit is solid, esp with Dale at PF.

Q, Person, Miles, Dale, Step.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
It's also interesting to hear about our new starting line up:

Damon, DA, Ruben, Z-Bo, Sheed.

Gosh, that makes our defense so much better out of the gate.

And our 2nd unit is solid, esp with Dale at PF.

Q, Person, Miles, Dale, Step.
It should be interesting to see how this lineup plays tomorrow and how Cheeks uses Miles in the rotation. I'm not sure about him, but I like what I have heard about him so far. :yes:

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Sorry Hap, I was just copying and pasting.
I know, did you get my PM about this?

I didn't mean to come off as tho I thought you had said it yourself. Just goin' through the motions..both teams played har ma ham. god bless and good night.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Yeah, ok Mo, whatever - W

You announce Damon as the defacto starter in training camp with the departure of Pippen. Say he is the man.

McInnis beats him out in camp.

What do you do? Start Damon in the preseson.

McInnis outplays Damon in the preseason.

What do you do? Start Damon during the season.

McInnis outplays Damon during the season and is generally a better fit for the starting unit overall.

What do you do? Continue to start Damon and play him the most minutes on the team.

Q starts to show flashes during practices that maybe he should get some meaningful minutes to see what he can do.

What do you do? Bench McInnis to do, leaving Damon, the worst plus/minus guy on the Blazers on the floor for buffet minutes (all you can eat).

McInnis starts to rebel at this absurd situation where he must feel like he is in the twilgiht zone. Either that or Mo must be Damon's *****.

What do you do? Run McInnis out on a rail.

Yeah. McInnis is the problem here. Riiiiight.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
There is a message in this

I am surprised that more people haven't noticed the message in this: Cheeks has power in this franchise to make changes in the team personell. Bonzi pissed him off. Bonzi is now gone. Jeff pissed him off. Jeff is now gone. I have also noticed some of Nash's statements over the last few days seemed to tip his hat that Cheeks made the call to have somebody moved off the team, so he did it. None of the statements directly said that, but you could get the gist of it.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Re: There is a message in this

Originally posted by <b>hasoos</b>!
I am surprised that more people haven't noticed the message in this: Cheeks has power in this franchise to make changes in the team personell. Bonzi pissed him off. Bonzi is now gone. Jeff pissed him off. Jeff is now gone. I have also noticed some of Nash's statements over the last few days seemed to tip his hat that Cheeks made the call to have somebody moved off the team, so he did it. None of the statements directly said that, but you could get the gist of it.
Interesting, so one would think that Dale Davis would be the next one out the door, not Wallace.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have to defer a little to Cheeks, considering he was a point guard and he has been a coach for a long time in the NBA (assistant, mostly). I thought McInnis was a slightly better defender and quicker at starting the offense than Damon, though Stoudamire had the ability to explode for points more than J-Mac. If Jeff was poisonous in the locker room, though, that can have serious consequences on a team as fragile as Portland.

But I'd have to agree that if "pissing off Cheeks" is grounds for dismissal, it's only a matter of time before Dale Davis, Ruben Patterson, Qyntel Woods, and eventually Rasheed and Damon get their tickets punched.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Mcinnis should be upset that he wasn't getting minutes because he has been consistent all year. He was 47% and dishing out 5-6 assists. Mcinnis is to good a player to play 20 minutes a game and it just shows that sometimes you have too much talent at one position, or either the coach can't find a way to fix it. Damon coming off the bench as a sparkplug would probably been a better fit anyways.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheeks knows PGs. If he says Damon is better for the team, then he probably is. We don't know what goes on in the locker room or in camp. If McInnis was constantly point fingers at his teammates, it sounds like it's good we got rid of him.

Screw the plus/minus. It means absolutely nothing. Damon is personally responsible for at least three of our wins.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Cheeks knows PGs. If he says Damon is better for the team, then he probably is. We don't know what goes on in the locker room or in camp. If McInnis was constantly point fingers at his teammates, it sounds like it's good we got rid of him.

Screw the plus/minus. It means absolutely nothing. Damon is personally responsible for at least three of our wins.
He's also Personally responsible for 7-8 Losses

·
Registered
3,548 Posts

What proof do you have that Cheeks knows PGs? If it is observation, my observation brings me to the opposite conclusion. Is it that he was a PG? The "takes one to know one" line is a common fallacy.

Locker room tension? Gary Payton is legendary for ripping teammates, in public and private. And he was lauded for his fire. There are other players as examples. I guess it depends on your perspective.

You and Mo say McInnis was a downer and insubordinate. I say he was trying (RIGHTLY) to light a fire under the team that was filled with underacheivers, softies, and ADD folk, that could do good things if pushed. He was also right to question the Damon situation.

Ok, ignore the plus/minus, and get a load of this: The vast majority of posters here, critisize the way Damon plays: who he runs the offense, the decisions he makes, the huge liability he is on defense. Many have made these observations and critisims, even after games where Damon hits the game winning shot or goes for 20 points. Those three "wins" you credit Damon for would not have required his heroics on the offensve end if not for having the league's worst PG defense.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Masbee</b>!
Ok, ignore the plus/minus, and get a load of this: The vast majority of posters here, critisize the way Damon plays: who he runs the offense, the decisions he makes, the huge liability he is on defense. Many have made these observations and critisims, even after games where Damon hits the game winning shot or goes for 20 points. Those three "wins" you credit Damon for would not have required his heroics on the offensve end if not for having the league's worst PG defense.
Amen, preacher.

However, where I can see your point with Gary Payton, it should be considered that every team dynamic is different and where on one team a guy calling players out can have a positive effect (as has occasionally happened with Payton, Shaq, etc.), it can also have a negative effect (as happened with Charles Oakley in Washington, for example), or mixed results (like with Karl Malone in Utah).

I'm not in the Blazers' locker room, so I can't say what effect Jeff had. But if on the one hand he was getting on teammates, while on the other he was agitating for playing time, the appearance of speaking out from self-interest, rather than the team, could easily get in the way of anyone listening.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Masbee</b>!

What proof do you have that Cheeks knows PGs? If it is observation, my observation brings me to the opposite conclusion. Is it that he was a PG? The "takes one to know one" line is a common fallacy.

Locker room tension? Gary Payton is legendary for ripping teammates, in public and private. And he was lauded for his fire. There are other players as examples. I guess it depends on your perspective.

You and Mo say McInnis was a downer and insubordinate. I say he was trying (RIGHTLY) to light a fire under the team that was filled with underacheivers, softies, and ADD folk, that could do good things if pushed. He was also right to question the Damon situation.

Your last paragraph is great btw.

There's a huge difference between calling out teammates for losing and calling out teammates for selfish reasons. There's also a huge difference when a hall of famer calls out teammates and journeyman point guard calls out teammates.

GP may not have been liked by guys who played with him (same with some of Jordan's teammates for the same reason) but when Payton called out teammates it wasn't because his personal stats were suffering. Everything I've read (including reasons the Clips let him go) seem to point towards him being a cancer because of selfish motivations.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts