Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the hardest coaching job in the NBA has to be Maurice Cheek's job with the Portland Trailblazers hands down. That team is overflowing with talented ballers, ever position has them. But there are a ton of egos on that team, and Cheeks has a giant job, even more so than last season with satisfing those egos. All the coaches say they hate coaching in all star games, well the Blazers have just about that much talent. And the fact that the Blazers don't really have a team leader because I think Scottie is done with putting his mental energy into that team, well less that what he put in when he came. I could not even believe how hard that would be, and the characters on that team is off the charts. Last year I thought they had a great team because they had veteran leader in Kerr, that did not want playing time, he just wanted to win, and I think his work effort rubbed off, but that was a HUGE mistake letting him go in the off season. Now all the team is talent, pure, flat out talent, no garbage players, or hustle guys, just talented players that would be 2nd or 3rd options on every other team, but on the Blazers they are the 5th or 7th option. They have 3 starting type PG's in Daniels, Stoudamire, and McInnis, two stud SG's in Bonzi and Derek, three very good SF's in Pippen, Woods, and Patterson, a very talented 4 in Rasheed, and Randolph has a ton of upside, and at the 5 they have Sabonis, Davis, and Ruben. I mean that is just sick the talent on this team, and that is why I say that Cheeks has the hardest job in the league. It is one thing to get talent, but it is another thing to coach it, even Phil Jackson I don't think could take this team to a title this year right off the bat.

The only real thing with talent is that they are deeper than every team they play, and just like in college, deeper teams can wear down other teams, because of depth, and I think the Blazers need to take that road because talent alone will not win you a title. They must use the talent, and that is the only way how they can use it all, play more players, and have the go all out every play, because unlike most teams, the Blazers have more than enough guys waiting on the wings...

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Originally posted by <b>barfo</b>!
How times have changed....

barfo
You had me worried for a bit that OZZY had started posting here recently...

Funny thing that some people seem to forget, Cheeks finished 5th in the voting of "Coach of the Year" during his first season as head coach.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I don't feel one ounce of sorrow for him.
He is drawing a paycheck for a job he is wayyy over his head.
He doesn't seem to get basic coaching,they don't seem to pay him an ounce of respect.That's his problem.

Paul Allen may have deep pockets,but I think he should spend
more time finding someone to help him run the team.
Not a coach per say,but a solid basketball mind.
He has done the least with the most money.

Surely he has noticed the team has declined steadily since

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I really don't understand how anyone can say our biggest problem is that we have too much talent.

two of our five starters, Damon and DA, are among the five worst in the NBA at their respective positions.

Theo is a talented center, but his only talent (shot blocking) actually generally BUILDS team chemistry. he makes his teammates look better at defense than they actually are. lately he hasn't looked terribly talented at his one trick, either.

Telfair is a talented rookie, but he's done and said everything right. he's not whining to the media right now for more playing time, although the way Damon is playing he's got every right to.

Patterson is a talented bench player, but he's also doing and saying the right things.

it's pretty arguable that Miles is extremely talented. he can run, jump and dunk, but in several years now he's only put together half of one good season.

the only place where we've got a clear problem of too much talent is at power forward. and even there half of the log jam (SAR) is a quality guy who rarely complains and is doing a fantastic job of playing out of position.

Cheeks clearly has three problems:
A. Too much talent at PF
B. Too little talent at SG
C. Too little talent at PG

"A" is the only one of the three problems where we have a workable solution.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
woops--I just read the title and the beginning of his post. didn't realize barfo had snuckered me into responding to a two year old post. :D

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That team is overflowing with talented ballers, ever position has them. But there are a ton of egos on that team

How many teams in the league can say the same thing? The attitude and mindset of the average NBA player has changed dramatically in the last 10-20 years. The Lakers won 3 titles with two of the biggest egos in the history of the league. I don't think, in respect to the ego department, Portland's roster is any different than any other team (other than Detroit) Poor shooting, rather than "egos", IMO is the real reason Portland is 10-11.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts