·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Why?

If he hadn't came out to sing the National anthem with that girl last year when she faltered, he probably would not be coach here this year. ;) He is not that good of a coach, and if he does get canned, there are a few good coaches out there now to bring in. There were a lot of AWESOME coaches last year, but once again management blew it.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Re: Why?

Originally posted by <b>hasoos</b>!
If he hadn't came out to sing the National anthem with that girl last year when she faltered, he probably would not be coach here this year. ;) He is not that good of a coach, and if he does get canned, there are a few good coaches out there now to bring in. There were a lot of AWESOME coaches last year, but once again management blew it.
Bets PA has already called up O'Brien asking him to be very patient (at least until the end of this season) before deciding on his next coaching job?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Randy Ayers is really catching flak in Philly. Portland should work with the 76ers this summer, get a pick, some cash, or a favorable trade and let Mo go back to PA.

Of course, that's what I thought they should have done this past summer... maybe with the PR firestorm they were in, they couldn't do it but after moving Wells and McInnis (and maybe Wallace) this year, they'd be able to make a less PR-focused decision.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
The ironic thing is, keeping Cheeks here was almost a PR negative. It became like a hostage situation in the eyes of some media. Letting him go (to Philly) would be a potentially huge PR boost, but the organization apparently didn't recognize that part.

Dan

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
that guy's chart seems rather silly.

how can you rank a coach's likelihood of getting fired without even bringing up team performance vs expectations?

it's not just whether you have coaching talent and players who are malcontents. the number one reason most coaches get fired is because the team as a whole is not reaching management expectations.

all that other crap doesn't matter. if Phil Jackson was coaching the Lakers to a .250 record, he'd be out of a job regardless of who he was sleeping with or how many titles he's won.

when things go bad, managers want to manage. they can't just go out and get a new star player easily, so the coach is the first and most likely target when managers fumble for the panic button.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
Randy Ayers is really catching flak in Philly. Portland should work with the 76ers this summer, get a pick, some cash, or a favorable trade and let Mo go back to PA.

Of course, that's what I thought they should have done this past summer... maybe with the PR firestorm they were in, they couldn't do it but after moving Wells and McInnis (and maybe Wallace) this year, they'd be able to make a less PR-focused decision.

Ed O.
Yep. I was actually excited when the Philly job opened up this summer. I assumed (don't you hate that word) that the Blazer's were going to use this golden opportunity to gracefully get out from under the Mo experiment, and let him leave, all the while extracting some small token from Philly, who wanted him BAD.

As much as I have been critisizing Mo this year, I am in no particular hurry to have him fired. With the Bonzi and McInnis trades, the open dangling of Sheed and constant trade rumors, DA's injury, Dale getting upset with his fine and being shopped, the terrible offensive system, Damon getting huge minutes, etc., the season is already toast.

I want management to move forward with a plan. If they have a chance to get the coach they want now and might lose him, they may have to fire Mo. Otherwise, he can hang out with his buddy Damon for the rest of the year for all I care.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

Ed O.
Is that legal in basketball? I know it is in football, but I've never heard of it happening in the NBA.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Is that legal in basketball?
I would assume so. Draft picks and cash can be added into any sort of deal, right? It's just player contracts that hit the CBA sticking points.

I work from time to time with someone in Philly who is a big basketball fan, and my impression from him is that the city is dying to get Cheeks and Rasheed there. There's got to be some way to make things work for everyone... Nash is supposed to be a creative multi-team trade broker. Let's see him go to work!

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.