Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull233.html

''John [Paxton] called me in and explained to me why he had to do what he was doing, and I understood,'' Marshall said. ''He had to do what he felt was best for the team and for its future. So I conducted myself as a pro then, just as I did when this last trade deadline passed and I wasn't traded.

"I was very disappointed I wasn't traded to a contender. At this point in my career, that means a lot to me. But [Raptors general manager Rob Babcock] said he got a lot of offers but none that would help our team that much.''
Marshall also mentions that Chicago will be one of his targeted destinations when the season concludes, since his fiancee and children still live there, and because it is in between Philly (his hometown) and Minnesota (his financee's).

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
It's no secret that Marshall wants to be on a winning team, a team that is actually in the playoffs.
At least he went about it the right away.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Well, we know where he got the energy for that 38-point game from now. I mean, considering the way he's been playing post-deadline, I can't really say I'm disappointed reading this. And speaking of the way he's playing, I'm sure it'll help him this offseason a lot more than getting traded to a contender would have, so staying in Toronto is really a blessing in disguise for him.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If he continues to play well, I think he will eventually get his contract status up to a point to where the Raptors won't be able to afford to re-sign him.

Since we have young players we need to develop, and since we need to improve our interior game, it's kind of a win-win situation. The better he plays, the better our team is for the time being. And the better he plays, the more likely it will be that he leaves, opening-up playing time for Bonner, Sow, Araujo, and whoever else, and enabling us to improve our interior game.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
is anyone really surprised? but shouldnt the chicago writters be consinerned with the bulls

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
speedythief said:
If he continues to play well, I think he will eventually get his contract status up to a point to where the Raptors won't be able to afford to re-sign him.

Since we have young players we need to develop, and since we need to improve our interior game, it's kind of a win-win situation. The better he plays, the better our team is for the time being. And the better he plays, the more likely it will be that he leaves, opening-up playing time for Bonner, Sow, Araujo, and whoever else, and enabling us to improve our interior game.
That's true, it will open up some playing time for other players, but the negative thing about it is that we won't be getting anything in return by letting him walk.
I'm starting to look back and realize that Babcock really should have made a move on the deadline.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turkish Delight said:
That's true, it will open up some playing time for other players, but the negative thing about it is that we won't be getting anything in return by letting him walk.
I'm starting to look back and realize that Babcock really should have made a move on the deadline.
Well yeah, the situation isn't all roses. Babcock dropped the ball on that one. But it's reassuring to know that he won't be able to build on his error by signing Marshall, who is already in his early thirties, to a contract that will restrict our actual flexibility in the future.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I would be really surprised if Donyell ends up in Chicago (BTW, whats up with all of our players having family in Chicago). Seems like a little posturing on Donyells part

Chances are he will get more money and get offers from better teams, so I don't see why he would sign with Chicago, just to be equal distance from his home(Philly) and his wifes home(Minn).

The Bulls are doing good this year, but are they really contenders? This is the same team that started the year 0-9

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They aren't contenders, but depending on how they spend their money this summer (Curry, Chandler, etc.) they could have something special in the next few years.

I think Donyell will end up in New Jersey so long as SAR isn't to be had as cheaply as everyone is suggesting.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'd be surprised if he signs with N.J or Chicago. Both teams are playing thier best ball of the year, but how much better are both of those teams over Toronto.

After playing for mediorce teams for a good part of his career, I would think he would want to go to a serious contender (San Antonio, Miami, Seattle) rather than playing for marginally better team than Toronto

Who knows what players are really thinking...
In Stephen Jacksons mind he was better off playing for Atlanta last year, than the the perennial contenders in San An

Reactions: Turkish Delight

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
So Babcock should have traded Marshall to SanAnt for Malik Rose, or to Philly for McKie? How would that be a good thing?

Or do you just assume that all the mythical trades that would have sent us a superstar young talent for an aging, one-dimensional PF were true and Babs simply didn't want to bring in a young player with superstar potential?

As for NJ, don't expect Donny to go there. JKidd is probably out this summer. Even during this little run of theirs Kidd is letting it be known he's not happy there. A first round sweep by Miami isn't going to change anything.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lucky777s said:
So Babcock should have traded Marshall to SanAnt for Malik Rose, or to Philly for McKie? How would that be a good thing?

Or do you just assume that all the mythical trades that would have sent us a superstar young talent for an aging, one-dimensional PF were true and Babs simply didn't want to bring in a young player with superstar potential?
I don't know if it's any less realistic to believe that a trade could've been made than it is to believe that there is nothing out there that could've benefitted us.

Donyell put up 16/10 last year, and was the only player ranked in three-point shots made, rebounds, and blocked shots. I will never believe that there isn't a market for him, especially with his contract only at 1 year/$5M. I'm not saying that I know Babcock was offered something good at the deadline, who knows, but it was in the team's best interest to try and move Donyell this year, be it during last summer or before the deadline.

When Donyell walks away from the team this summer and we have nothing to show for it, then I think people will start to recognize this error. Believing that there was no way he could use Marshall's value to improve our situation is folly, IMHO.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Was there anyone comparable to Donyell (not necessarily a F/C, but a veteran on the last year of his contract who was still effective) that was moved on deadline day. I don't think so. Of course, that doesn't prove our point completely, because we have to find a comparable player that was available first and not moved.

My theory on expiring contracts is that they only have value to good teams, not bad teams. Usually the only expiring contracts you see moved, are for a team willing to get a player who is arguably better on a longer contract (i.e. Antoine Walker). I think we can all agree that making such a trade was illogical for the Raptors.

Babcock was willing to trade away Carter for future assets. Why would he not do the same for Marshall? The media theory that he was afraid of getting blasted again is horsecrap. The media is way too high on themselves too believe, and then write, that they actually influence the decisions made by GM's - that's BS. It's like "Hey Look at me, I'm so smart that if I criticize your GM he is going to be deafly afraid and not make a move". Right..... We know that many of them know less then some of us here, and we laugh at them. You don't think basketball bigshots are also getting a chuckle out of these guys incompetencies. Somehow I don't think Babcock is trembling in fear from criticism from a mass of idiots.

As I said, the only reason these "afraid of media backlash" stories start is because some media members think they are smarter then they are, and by saying that, think they are proving they are smarter then GM. It's all a big giant pat in the back amongst the media. And a laughable one at that.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
we could have gotten something good back in the summer. Which is when he shold have already known the team was worthless.

getting squat for Marshall is just sad. The mini-build around Vince in the summer, and not recognizing we needed an overhaul asap was sad too.

I'm still worried he's closer to Grunwald than people think

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
A guy like Marshall should have a high trade value I would think. A big who can create matchup problems with his shooting range, he should and would be very valuable to a title contender for example.

A trade should have been done, whether it was before the deadline or during the summer. Not getting anything back for him is disappointing IMO.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
What I don't understand is why the NBA does not crack down on players that talk about being on other teams after their contract is up. General Managers are not allowed to talk about future free agents and acquiring them as it would be considered tampering, yet the association allows players to pretty much do the same thing.

By discussing where “you'd rather be” you're both a distraction to the team and slapping the fans in the face by telling them you would rather be elsewhere. When a player is under contract with a certain team you expect them to maintain some level of professionalism to the organization that gives them the cheques and yet we continue seeing players commenting on “where they'd rather be”.

I am a big Marshall fan and it'd be cool seeing him back as a Raptor but things like these should be a cause for fines in the NBA – because on the other side if a GM did the same thing, they would be fined.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ture, since you're now contracted to the Toronto Raptors, therefore you shouldn't make any comments or do anything that will distract the team success.

But I understand where this come from, Marshall knows this team is not going to playoff, and there's no point of saying he wants to stay here anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts