1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
A!
9,434 Posts
God, get this man a wheelchair.... He is always falling down. Anyways, get well Chick! :cry:

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I came here to see if something had been posted, as I was going to post about it if nothing was posted. I sincerely hope the surgery went well and that Chick is going to be okay.

I agree, the old guy needs a walker and/or a wheelchair so that he will be safer. Surgeries at his age are not good and need to be avoided at all costs.

Get well soon is my hope for him!

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Chick Hearn is one of the great basketball announcers ever, along with Johnny Most, Red Kerr and the great Bill Walton(yeah right!). I hope Chick recovers.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Chick Hearn in critical condition

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/ap/20020803/ap-hearnhospitalized.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Longtime Lakers broadcaster Chick Hearn has probably called his last game, his neurologist said Saturday after performing surgery for brain hemorrhaging.

``If he has a full recovery in terms of his motor functions he will very likely have speech difficulty, so I will foresee that he will have a difficulty to be announcing,'' the neurologist, Dr. Asher Taban, told reporters outside Northridge Hospital Medical Center.

Asked if the 85-year-old broadcaster had called his Lakers game, Dr. Taban said, ``unfortunately it's probable.''
Honestly up here in Toronto I didn't hear him, but from what I've heard he was a great unbiased broadcaster. Hope he makes it. :(

EDIT - I didn't see your post, naesdj. You can close this one or merge the two if you want.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by KC
God, get this man a wheelchair.... He is always falling down. Anyways, get well Chick! :cry:
I know, good point. I love the guy to death, but now he's fallen over twice. Get him a wheelchair. He can broadcast from a wheelchair.

I have a bad feeling that Laker fans won't be seeing Chick Hearn much longer.

Get well Chick.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
As a diehard Bulls fan, my thought and prayers go out to the Hearn's family, the Laker organization, and all of the Laker fans regarding the recent news of Chick's conditon. Chick is/was probably one of the best NBA announcers that I have ever heard. He was honest and as unbiased as anyone could expect (unlike Kerr and Most). I feel sorry for anyone who has to follow him. Chick is a legend. God Bless you Chick.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I've always associated Chick with the Lakers. It was always watch the Lakers and listen to Chick, his voice was sort of soothing and the feeling you get when you first hear his voice in October for the first preseason game...

This is the saddest day in Laker history since Wilt died. A part of the Lakers has retired and I feel sorry for whatever announcer permently takes his place. Chick deserved a farewell tour.:cry:

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Who said that he is retiring? Oh my God! Did Chick die? I need to go and check the news.:cry:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
X

Chick had a set back with brain bleeds and is in very critical condition. Even if he survives it is highly unlikely that he can call a game anymore. That's according to his neuro-surgeon. His "speech" will never be the same.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Originally posted by The X Factor
Who said that he is retiring? Oh my God! Did Chick die? I need to go and check the news.:cry:

He didn't die, but he's in a really serious critical condition

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by DP
X

Chick had a set back with brain bleeds and is in very critical condition. Even if he survives it is highly unlikely that he can call a game anymore. That's according to his neuro-surgeon. His "speech" will never be the same.
Yeah, I knew that his brain was bleeding. I heard that his doctor said that he will in all likelyhood end up having a speaking disorder. I can't believe we'll never hear Chick Hearn call a game again.:cry:

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by DP
I'd be happy if he just survives. Good luck Chicky baby.
I feel exactly the same way, DP. I just want him to live and be able to watch the games with his loved ones.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today's news not good

Chick Hearn, the Lakers' beloved announcer of 42 years, probably will never call another game after undergoing two brain surgeries Saturday, his doctors said.

"I'm very concerned with his speech ability and feel it is very likely he will have difficulty speaking," said Dr. Asher Taban, who performed two craniotomies on Hearn on Saturday at Northridge Hospital Medical Center to control brain hemorrhages suffered during a Friday evening fall.Ê Ê
Ê ÊÊ Ê
ÊWhen asked if Hearn's announcing career was over, Taban said, "Unfortunately, that is probable."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...ug04012032.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba

get well Chickie.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I thought I heard on the radio today that he was upgraded from "critical" to "serious" or "stable" or something. Right about now I don't care if he calls another game. How sweet would it be to just see him at a Laker game ? I'd also like KCAL to re-broadcast Game 7 of WCF 2002 or Championship clinching game against NJ sometime this year hopefully immediately before Game 1 of regular season.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Get better soon Chick

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
this is really bad news. Sorry im so late in posting.

Chick is a staple of the lakers for many years. A class act. Our prayers are out for him and his family

1 - 20 of 33 Posts