Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
11,166 Posts
Like I said in the game thread, all this win did was lose us ping pong balls.

· Registered
5,891 Posts
we wont agian this was nothing but a look we are trying

dont worry knicks will win and so will the bobcats but there is always a chance to get 1 threw 3 :D

· Registered
2,938 Posts
Although the win last night got the monkey off our back with the long losing streak, more ping-pong balls are very much needed.

· Registered
330 Posts
This draft is weak. I would never root for the Blazers to lose. Is that what the franchise has come to? I know people want more ping pong balls, and understandable so, but I just can't root for us to lose. It would be better to try to win as many games as possible, and maybe the young players will get some late games experience if the game is close, and learn how to win like Telfair last night, instead of the losing because having young players play but get blown out is not a way for them to gain experience.

We should just play hard and let things fall where they may fall. I mean, no guarantee that we will get the top 3 pick anyways, like last year we were suppose to get the 6th, ended up with the 3rd pick, but traded down to 6th again anyway. And who ever was suppose to get the 3rd pick last year, i think it was the bobcats, fell from out the top 3. So it's no guarantee anyways.

· Registered
6,866 Posts
Sheed30 said:
This draft is weak.
If the Blazers get a top 3 pick (#1, preferably), then I don't think it matters if the rest of the draft is weak.

You know, it seems like every year about this time people are saying the draft is weak... but by the time the draft rolls around, players are emerging from workouts and everybody is hoping and praying we land some specific player.

PBF

· Registered
2,377 Posts
I also can't get behind the rooting for losses mode. I totally understand the logic, and realistically realize the benefits of a higher pick. However, I still want the players to win, to show me they are improving. To show me something that compels me to not only watch them now, but know that the future will be brighter.

That being said, this "season is a failure if we don't get a top 3 pick" is a bad mentality in my opinion. We have absolutely no control over the ping pong balls, so even if we have the absolute worst record, we still could end up with the fourth pick. Personally, I already think the season is a failure though, because we didn't improve over last season. That's the only benchmark I'm personally interested in.

· Registered
7,812 Posts
Foulzilla said:
I also can't get behind the rooting for losses mode. I totally understand the logic, and realistically realize the benefits of a higher pick. However, I still want the players to win, to show me they are improving. To show me something that compels me to not only watch them now, but know that the future will be brighter.

That being said, this "season is a failure if we don't get a top 3 pick" is a bad mentality in my opinion. We have absolutely no control over the ping pong balls, so even if we have the absolute worst record, we still could end up with the fourth pick. Personally, I already think the season is a failure though, because we didn't improve over last season. That's the only benchmark I'm personally interested in.
Great post...agreed.

· Registered
534 Posts
It's not like we really beat the Rockets.... I mean, they kind of handed that one to us. They are a horrible, horrible team. I don't think Van Gundy is the wisest choice as coach of that team. They need to draft Reddick.

· Registered
5,891 Posts
but we are 3rd now which mean we can fall to 5th or is it 6th? if we get 2nd then we can fal to 4 or 5th correct or an i wrong?

· Registered
5,891 Posts
so getting number 2 would be better than 1 before the ping pong balls? but doesnt number #3 have the best chance of actually landing the number #1 slot?

· Registered
2,377 Posts
Utherhimo said:
so getting number 2 would be better than 1 before the ping pong balls? but doesnt number #3 have the best chance of actually landing the number #1 slot?
I dont think so. #1 has the best chance of winning the first pick, it may not be true of the #2 and #3 picks, I've never paid too much attention to the odds on those.

Here's how it works in a nutshell by my understanding. Only the top 3 picks are lotteried, all the others are done by reverse team record. What this means is if say the 10th/11th/12th worst teams (by record) were to somehow miraculously win the top 3 lotto picks, the every team who had a worse record then them is kicked a place back for each of them. However, teams after them would not have their draft status changed at all.

Therefore, worse record does guarantee you a better pick then you would get with a better record (unless you win a top 3 pick in which case record is irrelevant). So wherever we end up, the very worst that could happen to us is moving down 3 spaces (and it's highly unlikely, though moving down 1 or two spaces wouldn't be a shock).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.