Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anstey is a 7'1 center who use to play for the bulls in 1999-2000 season. He perform pretty good he average 6.0ppg and 3.8rpg in 13.9mpg i think he will help this team at the center position he is much better than Bags andi n my opinion he could provide more than Blount. Anstey is a solid score, rebounder and a good shot blocker. His best game for the Bulls he scored 12pts and grab 16 rebounds. This is something the Bulls need help on defense and rebounding and he could help us in that catergory. I think he would be a good addition to the Bulls.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I agree. I always liked Chris Anstey.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Do the Bulls plan to give him a look this summer? I don't know much about him, but I'd take the Dominoes Delivery Boy over Dali even if I had to pay an extra buck just to have him deliver. Right now virtually anyone is better than that waste of space, Bagaric. If I have to go through another season listening to those dumbo Bulls play-by-play analysts (Kerr and Laravee) talk up that loser Dali, I'm going to hang myself. He has no business being on the team or in the NBA So bring in Chris Anstey, Chris Isley, Christopher Cross, Kris Kross, or Kris Kringle, I don't care. Just get rid of Bagaric!

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I like Chris Anstey, I think he probably could even play a few minutes at sf too if the Bulls needed him to. I could see him being a perfect compliment to Tyson & Eddy. Last I heard he was still playing in Australia, in fact he punked Ming in the championships. I think he held him to like 8pts scoring 24 himself.

Bagaric is a project, he was a project when we drafted him and he still is. I have seen a great deal of improvement in him and am pleased that he is coming along. Slowly but surely. People sometimes have a tendency to become impatient. WHen your looking at guys that are projects, you kind of have to be patient with them.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Getting Anstey would be great, if he is healthy. He was a young big man who wasn't especially prone to making costly mistakes, and should be getting into his "prime years" in the next season or two.

Last I heard, Antsey was going to be playing in China this past summer and had Miami, Portland and another team (Milwaukee?) sniffing around, but all plans were on hold due to a meniscus injury. Has anyone heard whether he played this summer and how the knee is healing or holding up?

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
WHAT ? ? ?

What are you all talking about ! ! ! Anstey is getting talked up like he's another Dirk, come on SF please come on he's to slow to play C ! ! ! The last time I remebered he was not the best guy to walk on the floor to say the least what did he do so great ? ? ? Obviously he got waived for a reason.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
LOL....thats funny!

So bring in Chris Anstey, Chris Isley, Christopher Cross, Kris Kross, or Kris Kringle, I don't care. Just get rid of Bagaric! [/QUOTE]

Heck, I'd even settle for CHRIS ROCK or CHRIS TUCKER!!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Anstey, as far as I know, still has signed with an Australian team. The team he played for last year has been broken up and there's a new melbourne team being created to replace them and he may sign with them shortly. But there is also speculation that he may sign overseas instead.

I thought it would be Europe, but that's just speculation on my behalf as we haven't heard anything about him signing in the states.

Personally there's another guy in the Australian league I'd take over Anstey, Paul Rogers, who played with Toronto briefly. Anstey improved alot over the last couple of years, but as far as the Australian league goes he seems to spend a lot of
time thinking his a SF and not a Centre. I'd like to see him spend more time 8 feet from the basket not 18.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Re: WHAT ? ? ?

Originally posted by <b>JB</b>!
What are you all talking about ! ! ! Anstey is getting talked up like he's another Dirk, come on SF please come on he's to slow to play C ! ! ! The last time I remebered he was not the best guy to walk on the floor to say the least what did he do so great ? ? ? Obviously he got waived for a reason.
He got waived because of those playing in front of him.....He was very athletic for a big man...no, not a nowitzki.(of course THIS guy did not get the opportunity in chicago to play enough to establish himself!) I recall how skinny this guy was, but he was pretty athletic. I remember thinking how he would get beat to death as a center...but really, ANYONE is better than Vomit-Bags!!! At that time, I believe we had a guy named pippen who was our starting SF. With Kukoc backing pip, there was no room at SF and Luc, Bill Wennington and the last of the three headed monster, the guy who went to san antonio(I cannot remember this guys name to save my life!!! Bill something???), were occupying the center positions. No room for him. He would be a serviceable backup at best..but, bag-a-crap is not even that.:grinning:

·
Registered
510 Posts
BamaBull, you are thinking of Will Perdue.
The Bulls were interesting in keeping Antsey and wanted him to stay in Chicago and work out here during the off season but he wanted to work out and play with the Australian team (maybe in the Olympics) and the Bulls gave him a choice and he chose Australia. I thought he had some potential but as a center, never a small forward.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Anstey could shoot jumpers. I remember that. I remember he once went three J's in a row.

I'd rather have someone tall to shoot jumpers than the automatic PF in Dali. I wouldn't think this way if only he had shown something in summer leagues... sigh.

Anstey is no Dirk, and he probably doesn't even belong in the NBA on 80% of most teams... but the Bulls don't fall in that 80%.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
What is the love for Jump Shooting Centres!!

Haven't teams learned that to win you need a big centre that can score inside and bang and crash for 40 minutes per game?? I mean you have a point guard, shooting guard, small forward, who can primarily shoot jumpers, but teams need to mix the play up and dump the ball inside to force the defense to alter their plans. Chris Anstey is pure finesse and Don Nelson said that when he drafted him, that he would revolutionise the centre position, giving the NBA a new running, fast big man. Hello, Anstey you revolutionised how fast a guy can be kicked out of the league. The Bulls really must be taking a backward step even thinking about this guy. They have enough jump shooters, Rose, Crawford, Williams, Fizer, Robinson, etc . the Bulls need toughness and a strong physical inside presence. Of course it is nice to have a big man that can shoot jumpers, but you win by having an inside presence that is a dominant part of the team and can impose on defense. Sure Anstey can come off the bench, but why not give someone else a go, who has either proven themselves as a veteran, or sign another guy who can develop. Anstey had his chance and the last thing that the Bulls need is to sign him again and he flops, now that would be a backward step!!
I have heard that he cannot even impose himself on the Australian league or whatever, so how can he compete at an NBA level, this guy is close to 30 as well!!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Re: What is the love for Jump Shooting Centres!!

Originally posted by <b>kingofkings</b>!
Haven't teams learned that to win you need a big centre that can score inside and bang and crash for 40 minutes per game??
May I introduce you to Foul Weather Fan on Real GM .

Have fun

Chris Anstey is pure finesse and Don Nelson said that when he drafted him, that he would revolutionise the centre position, giving the NBA a new running, fast big man.
Don was right - its just that they drafted Dirk the following year . He had the right idea and concept for the modern big man - just the wrong player

Hello, Anstey you revolutionised how fast a guy can be kicked out of the league
Hello.... yourself

See earlier accurate comments from Songcycle as to why he was cut from the Bulls. He chose country over club .

The Bulls really must be taking a backward step even thinking about this guy. They have enough jump shooters, Rose, Crawford, Williams, Fizer, Robinson, etc . the Bulls need toughness and a strong physical inside presence. Of course it is nice to have a big man that can shoot jumpers, but you win by having an inside presence that is a dominant part of the team and can impose on defense.
I agree . Fads may come and go but you win in this league by going outside / inside and outside /inside/outside .

Sure Anstey can come off the bench, but why not give someone else a go, who has either proven themselves as a veteren, or sign another guy who can develop.
Such as ?

Convince Chris Dudley not to retire ? Claim Patrick Ewing off waivers ? Trade for Akeem ? Bring in the man with 10 NBA passports , Chris Gatling ( who goes into hiding every February when trade deadline calls )

Hope the Sixers don't pick up Alvin Jones's option , or that Miami don't add Ken Johnson to their roster after having him incubated in the Euro leagues to try and learn some offense.

Maybe Gadzilla gets thrown into a trade for Toni Kukoc if we sling them ERob and Trav.

Pretty thin options huh ?

Maybe you can add some more specific suggestions to your vagueness??

Anstey had his chance and the lat thing that the Bulls need is to sign him again and he flops, now that would be a backward step!!
See earlier comments from Songcycle as to "his chance" which he elected freely off his own volition to pass up to play for his country - and if he does not work out big deal - at a very cheap price comparative to what gets paid elsewhere it is hardly going to equal Chapter 11 for Big Daddy Reinsdorf who probably has cases of vintage Bourdeaux more expensive then what he would have to pay Anstey Panstey for the season.

I have heard that he cannot even impose himself on the Australian league or whatever, so how can he compete at an NBA level
Oh yeah ??

You hear huh ??

Who from ?

A Melbourne Tigers fan perhaps, maybe a Sydney Kings fan or a Perth Wildcats fan ?

Brian Goorgian ( his coach ) is famous for shackling his players anyway and having them contribute equally such that production is evenly skewed instead of being reliant on one or two players - very different to the stud / pecking order system in College hoops / the NBA. Coach Goorgian actually develops a team and every individual within it and demands roundness of skills to their overall game. Crazy concept I know.

this guy is close to 30 as well!!
Damn! Nearly 30 huh ? For what would likely be a 3 year deal with an option after 1 ?

Stick a fork in his a$$ . He's done !

I think NBA players should have their age calculated in dog years - y'know 1 human year = 7 dog years .

If this was seen as good practical common sense given the obsession/sensitivity with the younger = better issue that predominates around the league in the judgement of worth , I see your point - I would not want a guy who is 203 years old on my roster either

·
36,839 Posts
Hey, nobody ever said Antsey was the second coming, but he is a 7 footer with a decent shooting touch. He's 27 years young (and even if he was "almost 30" that's young for a center) and in his admittedly short NBA career (but again, see SongCycles's post) he averaged about 5 points and 3 1/2 boards in 13 minutes per game. Not spectacular, and plenty of room for improvement (as a big man, he's just hitting prime years, so who knows?) but those aren't bad numbers for a back up center, and he's undeniably better than Soft-Like-A-Dolly-Bar.

Do we need a 600 pound gorilla to dominate the post? Who doesn't? As noted above, they're hard to find. The Bulls don't exactly have the deepest bench in the NBA, so a player with the size to play low and the versatility to swing outside, and therefore able to cover a couple of positions would be an asset.

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
We can debate the merits of Chris Anstey's ability until the cows come home. But I think the bottom line is the Bulls gave Chris his opportunity and he declined. I don't expect a second chance to be forthcoming anytime soon.

·
36,839 Posts
You're probably right that we're talking about something that probably won't actually happen. I realize that is a first for this board...:rolleyes:

It is interesting, however, that I found this little tidbit. Apparently, Anstey's Victoria team recently folded and reorganized. Chris is shopping for a deal in Eurpoe and weighing that against returning to a financially troubled organization in Australia. If the Bulls did express interest, I have a feeling he'd jump at the chance to return to the NBA.

http://sportswatch.com.au/news.php?id=66239

1 - 19 of 19 Posts