Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LAS VEGAS -- Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul told ESPN.com that it's "unacceptable" if Donald Sterling is still the owner of the team when the season begins.

Sterling has been banned for life by the NBA in response to racist comments he made in a recorded conversation released in April.

Paul also said he has spoken to Clippers coach Doc Rivers about the possibility of sitting out if Sterling remains in control when the seasons starts in a little more than two months.

"That's something me and Doc are both talking about," Paul said Thursday after coaching his AAU program, CP3. "Something has to happen, and something needs to happen soon -- sooner rather than later."

Interim Clippers CEO Dick Parsons testified earlier in the week in state court that Rivers told him on multiple occasions that he doesn't think he wants to continue coaching the team if Sterling remains in control of the franchise.

"We're all going to talk about it," Paul said. "We're all definitely going to talk about it. Doc, Blake [Griffin], DJ [DeAndre Jordan]. It's unacceptable."

The issue remains whether Sterling's wife, Shelly, acted properly in selling the franchise without his consent. She agreed to a deal with ex-Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for a record $2 billion.

Closing arguments in the probate court case are set for Monday, at which point the judge will determine whether to authorize the sale or throw the situation into further confusion. Donald Sterling has vowed to fight "as long as he lives."

The original purchase agreement called for the sale to close by July 15 -- with an extension until Aug. 15. The NBA has said it will resume termination proceedings of the sale if it's not closed by Sept. 15.

Training camp is set to open in early October.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11261909/chris-paul-los-angeles-clippers-says-sitting-possible-donald-sterling-remains

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Chris Paul is a ****ing loud mouth. He won't do a god damn thing. Nor can he.

Enjoy voiding your contract, dick head.

Lots of people have asshole bosses. The majority of people posting on here do. I'm sure some of those bosses are racists as well. You don't just get to void a contract because you don't like your employer.

Everyone's talking about Lebron and Love, and Chris Paul wanted a little attention himself.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Okay, but didn't we already have this story? The players were going to boycott but then the NBA banned him and started the process to sell the team. What exactly would they be boycotting here? Due process? The NBA is working with his wife to sell the team to Ballmer and Sterling is fighting it every step in court. What are they protesting, his existence? He's still banned.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Okay, but didn't we already have this story? The players were going to boycott but then the NBA banned him and started the process to sell the team. What exactly would they be boycotting here? Due process? The NBA is working with his wife to sell the team to Ballmer and Sterling is fighting it every step in court. What are they protesting, his existence? He's still banned.
Exactly. Silver is doing everything he can do to push this through. If Sterling didn't have an endless supply of money this would already be over.

Paul and Rivers need to shut the **** up. Chances are this will be settled by the start of the season. If not, everyone involved will continue to work hard to get it solved.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
I don't know what Chris Paul thought was going to happen with Sterling, this isnt Superman 2 where they could just trap him and shoot him into the Phantom Zone and he would never be heard from again... everyone knew there was going to be a ton of legal wrestling here, this may not be over for years much less months

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Doesn't Dan Gilbert have a ton of shady business dealings in the past, including Kwame Kilpatrick?

Should Lebron boycott the Cavs until Gilbert is forced to sell?

What about every other sketchy owner?

What I really think should happen is we should forgo next season and every owner should face a background check which will be passed along to the players. At that point the players will get to decide if they agree to play for the owner, or if they want to force him to sell his team.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Exactly. Silver is doing everything he can do to push this through. If Sterling didn't have an endless supply of money this would already be over.

Paul and Rivers need to shut the **** up. Chances are this will be settled by the start of the season. If not, everyone involved will continue to work hard to get it solved.
Eh, I dunno. If Paul and/or Rivers want to no-show while not getting paid, that's their right. Just because you're highly paid doesn't mean you don't get to have opinions. My uncle makes seven figures a year and wouldn't put up with an equivalent scenario (hell, he swears he's going to retire the day his total tax rate breaks 50%).

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Eh, I dunno. If Paul and/or Rivers want to no-show while not getting paid, that's their right. Just because you're highly paid doesn't mean you don't get to have opinions. My uncle makes seven figures a year and wouldn't put up with an equivalent scenario (hell, he swears he's going to retire the day his total tax rate breaks 50%).
I really don't see any way they'd agree to forgo pay though. If they do try to do something, they'll say they deserve their pay and the players union will be up in arms to fight about it.

If they wanted to sit out without pay? I agree. That is their right.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Better hurry up, United States legal system! Or else Chris Paul isn't going to be happy!

Some of these guys are something else.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I'm actually surprised people have this much of a problem with Paul & co. threatening to sit out, given that a big part of the defense of selling the team is that Sterling's association with the team is materially damaging to it's value (sponsors pulling out, employees refusing to work, etc). These's a good chance this is all being done at the direction of Shelly Stern's or Steve Ballmer's lawyers to build a stronger case.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
I'm actually surprised people have this much of a problem with Paul & co. threatening to sit out, given that a big part of the defense of selling the team is that Sterling's association with the team is materially damaging to it's value (sponsors pulling out, employees refusing to work, etc). These's a good chance this is all being done at the direction of Shelly Stern's or Steve Ballmer's lawyers to build a stronger case.
I've considered that as a possibility. I find it more likely though that guys like Paul just love to hear themselves speak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts