Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It came Sunday with a snarled answer from Chucky Atkins that silenced the locker room as soon as the words escaped his mouth. The question put to Atkins was what he would do as general manager to remake the 10th-place Lakers. "I ain't no GM," Atkins said. "Ask Kobe. He's the GM. It's his team.

Go ask him Atkins, who has grown increasingly frustrated in recent weeks, was asked to clarify if he was, in fact, saying that Bryant was calling the shots for the organization. "I don't know," Atkins said. "Last I heard they told me that (general manager) Mitch Kupchak was supposed to make the decisions around here. So you all going to ask him those questions, please

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2785705,00.html

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
This is starting to remind me of the Lakers pre-Phil Jackson. You had Shaq, Kobe, and Van Exel taking turns bashing each other. Even the role players would get into it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
But wouldn't all superstars of any team be involved in the "GM-ing" of the team in one way or another, anyway?

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Sadly what he said is the truth.. You dont have to believe it though.. This is the team Kobe wanted.. Sure he didnt want a team to lose and certainly he didnt think they'd be this bad but if he believes this team is something special, he's got a long way to go.

I'm not gonna side with Kobe or really against him but at the same time even had this team had Shaq and/or Phil they still wouldnt win a title.. It was time to move on.. I always love the "Well with Shaq they'd win a title, yada yada yada."

NEWSFLASH: They didnt win a title the past 2 years together, why the **** would they now? :laugh:

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
On the bright side, the likelihood of us using our #1 pick on a PG just went up. Maybe I don't have to worry about Mitch drafting some big stiff anymore.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I dont think anything good can come from a player running the team. Ever hear the phrase " inmates running the assylum"? Kobe has the god syndrome and until he takes a step back and loses a bit of ego? I dont see his teams ever ammounting to much. He doesnt seem to make those around him better. He shines and everyone else fails.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Good thing about being player GM; you get to kick sorry *** players like Chucky Atkins off your team. Chucky didn't like being called out for defense? Gee, perhaps that's because he can't play any, and is arguably the worst defender at his position in the entire NBA.

Copper said:
I dont think anything good can come from a player running the team. Ever hear the phrase " inmates running the assylum"? Kobe has the god syndrome and until he takes a step back and loses a bit of ego? I dont see his teams ever ammounting to much. He doesnt seem to make those around him better. He shines and everyone else fails.
It's a wonder he won 3 titles and went to 4 Finals! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
EHL said:
Good thing about being player GM; you get to kick sorry *** players like Chucky Atkins off your team. Chucky didn't like being called out for defense? Gee, perhaps that's because he can't play any, and is arguably the worst defender at his position in the entire NBA.

It's a wonder he won 3 titles and went to 4 Finals! :laugh:
Its no wonder, he had Shaq. I guess we'll see how each of them do now. Also, if Chucky said it, do you think he is the only one thinking it? I dont, hes just the only one fed up enough to voice it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I just wanna cry at this point :cry:

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Copper said:
This is why Kobe is hated right here.

Because some people actually think Atkins, Mihm, Grant, Walton, Jones, and Butler can be made better .

Please read those names out loud to yourself and then repeat your statement.

He shines and everyone else fails how exactly is this.

I'd say its the other way around. Everyone's fg % is up and overall numbers are up its his that are down. He's shooting a career low fg %, creating a career high to's. and generally because of the lack of support around him has to work twice as hard.

Nothing you've said adds up really.

Atkins is just a poor defender that Kobe cracked in private that got mad for being exposed for his terrible defense.

Atkins is a back-up playing starter.

Kobe should have say on the decision making process I can guarantee you Kobe wasn't consulted about the Mihm trade he surely wouldn't have signed off on that bum either.

Unless you think Kobe is a moron as a talent evaluator which is possible because MJ wanted Pippen gone badly in the early years. Shows you how much those great players really know.

·
Pacman & Mamba
2,558 Posts
After the Philadelphia game:

Kobe :boxing: Chucky

After we finally get out of this loosing streak:

Kobe :kiss: Chucky

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Mj was surrounded with mediocre players and Pippen. He played his game to their strengths. Kobe plays his game. His stats are down because he doesnt have Big Daddy anymore and teams can play him harder, plain and simple. Kobe wanted to be the man, now he is. If Kobe is the team leader? lead. How is a team gonna follow a player they dont like? Sure hes talented, but if nobody wants to play with him? good luck. Atkins isnt a great defender, never was never will be. Did you guys expect him to become the glove when ya got him? He is a scoring pg that is hitting a slump now that Kobe is back. Coincodence? probably.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Copper said:
Mj was surrounded with mediocre players and Pippen. He played his game to their strengths. Kobe plays his game. His stats are down because he doesnt have Big Daddy anymore and teams can play him harder, plain and simple. Kobe wanted to be the man, now he is. If Kobe is the team leader? lead. How is a team gonna follow a player they dont like? Sure hes talented, but if nobody wants to play with him? good luck. Atkins isnt a great defender, never was never will be. Did you guys expect him to become the glove when ya got him? He is a scoring pg that is hitting a slump now that Kobe is back. Coincodence? probably.
Jordan played his game. Players who played with him, played better because they were motivated by fear. Jordan was cut throat, and to assume that he was "well liked" by those around him is a gross assumption. Ask Bill Cartwright who threatened to end his career by breaking both of his legs after Jordan told teammates to freeze him out. Or Steve Kerr, whom Jordan punched in the face in practice after Kerr attacked him aggressively offensively. Kobe simply doesn't have matching pieces of the puzzle around him yet. The problem with Chucky is his defense...defense is about will or want to...Chucky has no desire to play it, and that makes him a lazy POS.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts