Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Wit...

Plenty of names have been mentioned as possibilities for the Blazers' coaching job next season, but management should determine if Larry Brown would be available after the season. If he is, they should pursue him.....
You just watch, Larry will be asked to comment on this at some point. :yes:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
In my opinion, there would be no better coach than Larry Brown for this team. If there's a chance in hell they can land him, they should go after him and offer whatever money he wants.

That said, considering how much Brown like Mo Cheeks, I can't see him wanting this job.

-Pop

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
In my opinion, there would be no better coach than Larry Brown for this team. If there's a chance in hell they can land him, they should go after him and offer whatever money he wants.
Larry Brown's a great coach, but he tends not to play young players. Considering what the roster is going to look like next year, that tendency would be at odds with what the Blazers need.

That said, considering how much Brown like Mo Cheeks, I can't see him wanting this job.
Hmm... Brown's brother didn't seem to be a fan of Mo when he left Portland.

Ed O.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been said that Larry is an East guy. Say, didn't he coach the Clippers? In fact, wasn't that the last time they made the playoffs? :laugh:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I don't know how Brown would coach such a young team. I'd be more in favor of someone like Flip Saunders.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I'd love to be a fly on the wall should the Blazers actually talk with Larry Brown. He'd be clear that he wasn't coming into a situation like he did in Detroit -- he'd be getting hired to see what he could do with this (mostly) very young roster. Likely enough he'd not be interested, much as we're guessing Phil Jackson wouldn't be interested. Yet, as with Phil Jackson, some have said there might be interest in both the challenge and the chance to really be a teacher. I don't really buy that for Jackson and it only seems marginally more likely with Brown yet, if either of these guys really were interested....well, as I said, I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the conversation. :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
SheedSoNasty said:
I don't know how Brown would coach such a young team. I'd be more in favor of someone like Flip Saunders.
While I am sure that Flip Saunders is a good coach, I really don't think that he should be Portland first choice. He had a decent team in Minnesota and still couldn't get the job done, now they look like a train wreck.

I would be very suprised if Portland was even able to land Saunders with all the coaching openings that are popping up across the NBA. I could see Portland picking up a Terry Porter (once the Bucks fire him after the season is over) or maybe a Rick Carlisle if the Pacers are crazy enough to let him go. There is always a chance that Phil Jackson might be willing to take on this group of young players, but with Cleveland opening up, those chances are slim.

I wonder if Portland Management knows who they are targeting or if this is going to be another coach hire where the coach wasn't the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice like Mo Cheeks. That was a crazy way to find a coach to babysit and now I think it is time to find a coach for his coaching skills, not his ability to make nice, nice with the players.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Agreed, Howie. Porter or Carlisle would be fantastic :yes:

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I personally like Dwayne Casey the assistant with the Sonics......

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I personally like Dwayne Casey the assistant with the Sonics......
Yep. He's been my choice for a while now. I'm not sure that he's a "sexy" enough name for Portland's PR purposes, but I think that he's going to prove himself to be a heck of a head coach when he gets the chance.

Ed O.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts