Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sexy Moderator
13,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, the Red Sox appealed to the sentimental side of Roger Clemens more than we know. According to agent Randy Hendricks, the club’s final offer to the pitcher who made No. 21 famous in Boston was a one-year contract worth precisely $21,000,021.
Sox officials have not commented on Clemens’ decisions to return to Houston, opting only to issue a corporate, bland statement in which they expressed joy at having “reconnected’’ with Roger. No player has worn Clemens’ No. 21 since he left the Sox following the 1996 season.

“It is fitting that Boston offered 21,000,021,’’ Hendricks said in an e-mail. “ I told Theo (Epstein), in jest, that it was too bad Roger didn’t wear 27 as a Red Sox. We talked late yesterday.’’

Added Hendricks: “If Roger had picked Boston, their offer would have been sufficient.’’

In case you’re wondering, Pedro Martinez wore No. 45 during his career with the Sox. Martinez’ current contract with the New York Mets is due to expire following the 2008 season.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view.bg?articleid=141637

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Cute sentimental story from Beantown...all it really means though is that NY would have offered more. :biggrin:

·
Restore the Roar
7,391 Posts
So... in 2008 Boston will inevitably offer Pedro $45,000,045?

·
Restore the Roar
7,391 Posts
Metsfan619 said:
i dont get y u added the pedro thing there ?
It was a joke.

Clemens' number was 21 when he was in Boston... so he was offered 21 million and 21 dollars.

Since Pedro's number was 45... they are wondering if Pedro will be offered 45 million and 45 dollars.

God... explaining it to people just ruins the funny :raised_ey

·
Sexy Moderator
13,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ :laugh: Chris....I know that really kills it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts