2nd Round Pick

TRADE ACCEPTED

Golden State:
C-Chris Mihm/Dampier/Foyle
PF-Antwan Jamison/ Hill/ Murphy
SF-Mike Dunleavy/Jones/ Mills
SG-Jason Richardson/ Welsch
PG-Gilbert Arenas/Altson

They get much needed big men, and get rid of Fortson who they don't want.

Cleveland:
C-Zydrunas Illguaskus/Diop/
PF-Danny Fortson/Stewart/Boozer/
SF-Darius Miles/Jamison
SG-Ricky Davis/Wagner/Logan
PG-Bob Sura/Palacio/Coles (Parker, Barnes fit in after that)

You get Fortson who could TEAR UP the East in rebounding, and clear up the big man situation, and you get two possible PG's in Sura and Logan...

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Ok, but not great

I like the general idea, from what the Cavs are giving up: I don't think Tyrone really wants to play in Clev- dump him. I don't think Mihm is gonna get a whole lot better - dump him. Jumaine will not get many minutes behind Darius - he is expendable, dump him.

For what they are getting in return: Bobby Sura has pretty much proven that he is only a journeyman type player, and he wouldn't get many minutes at SG behind Ricky and Dajaun, and he is NOT a good enough PG except for a FEW minutes here and there - so, Sura is not important. Logan I like at Cincy, but I'm not sure he is pro caliber. I like Smush better, but not sure EITHER is ready to lead a team - so, Logan is not important. The 2nd rounder - obviously not important. The key to me is Fortson. The boy can rebound, and CLev will need that with Tyrone gone. Many GS fans would be glad to see him go, which makes me wonder. He might be the same as Lamond Murray or Wesley Person for us... we were glad to see them go too, but the teams that got them (Tor and Mem) were thrilled. Maybe the posters hadn't seen them play day-in-and-day-out so weren't aware of how they played all the time. Fortson may be like that for us. Sooooo.... I think I would do the trade, HOPING Fortson would be ready for a new environment and would play hard all the time. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't need him for scoring... Z, Miles, Ricky, Wagner will take the shots.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input.-No other guards from GS would fit salary cap wise, except for Arenas who the Warriors don't want to give up.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Gilbert

yeah, I figured that. That is why I didn't even mention him. Are you a GS fan? If so, you have a good nucleus... but there are so many good teams out west..... GS would probably be a sure playoff team in the east.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Gilbert

Originally posted by <b>Mongolmike</b>!
yeah, I figured that. That is why I didn't even mention him. Are you a GS fan? If so, you have a good nucleus... but there are so many good teams out west..... GS would probably be a sure playoff team in the east.
Actually I am a Laker fan-but I just thought this would be a good trade for you guys and them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i follow golden state pretty closely (i wouldn't go so far as to say that i'm a true 'fan' per se), and maybe i can offer a different angle on this trade.

to be honest, i looked at the trade and my first reaction was "ugh" for the warriors. it seems to be the consensus that fortson is potentially a monster in the east, and would plug a hole in the cavs' lineup (not to mention provide somebody to corrall all of the bricks from miles and wagner....just kidding). i think fortson would be a great fit for the cavs.

as far as sura goes, you guys would be getting a steal with him. there's no risk in trying him at point guard....in my mind he's perfectly capable of averaging 12ppg 5apg and 5rpg. a poor man's brent barry, if you will (without the great outside shot).

look sura up on espn and check his per-minute averages. they're good.

as far as logan, nobody knows how he'll turn out. a lot of GS fans were/are really high on his ability to be a PG; i'm not sold on it. but we signed rafer to back up gilbert, so i think he would just be a no-risk young player for the cavs.

quickly, on the flip side:

the warriors can't really use any of those players. will tyrone hill be ok being a backup PF? i thought that was his problem in cleveland. in other words, would that solve the "backup PF cancer" problem?

jones is a promising young player who'd have trouble finding minutes with all of the warriors other forwards. but i wouldn't mind getting him.

mihm, he's just filler. maybe he pans out and reaches his predraft potential; if not, we let him go in a couple years when his rookie contract expires.

this would be addition by subtraction for the warriors...freeing up minutes and preventing chemistry problems. like the murray trade, i guess, like you said.

i say it's a good trade.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
getting off topic but....

don't forget Vdog that we (Cavs fans) already had Sura here once before, and he was tried at PG his last year here. I've got no problem with him as a player, but he is just not steady enough to play SG, and just not a good enough ballhandler and decision maker for a PG. Sure, he can bring the ball up court and pass it to a wing, but that's about all I ever saw from him at point. If the Cavs decided to go in that direction, then they just might as well put Dajaun Wagner at point and play that hand out instead of Sura. But again, Fortson was the key in the proposal... both to fortify the Cavs and as "addition by subtraction" for GS. I still think you (GS) has a good core... Jamison back at PF with Murphy, Arenas, Richardson, Dunleavy, Welsch... good core, but still in a tough, tough conference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
that's a really good point mongolmike....i totally forgot that we got sura from you guys.

but the whole deal in cleveland right now is to stick dajuan in the lineup as an off-guard, right? so i think it'd be totally fine to use sura as a PG in that scenario...as you say, all he does is bring the all up and pass it off to a wing.

that's perfect.

look at who the cavs have on the wings - wagner, davis, and miles. ALL are perfectly capable of being isolated on offense and creating their own shot - in fact, that might be their strength. (davis i'm actually not so sure about, but wagner and miles certainly have the handles and quickness to create their own shot).

this is all wishful thinking on our part. garry st. jean has had a couple of good drafts lately, but i can just see him letting fortson rot a la marc jackson. i wish there was a way for us to integrate him into our lineup, but there's just no way. but, again, i think he's right up the cavs' alley with his rebounding, what with all these younguns looking to score now.

i have a question. when does tyrone hill's contract expire?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I think

he has just this next year only... pretty sure but not 100% sure. Dude is effective when healthy and motivated.... a real professional when he wants to be and a GREAT rebounder. But, like some others, very moody. And when he gets moody, his back gets bad and he sits out for stretches at a time.:sigh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts