Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I need some help. My wife and I have just booked tickets for a holiday of a lifetime to America, as we have just found out she is pregnant and we want to do this before the baby spoils everything!

Obviously, the main priority for me is to see some NBA basketball while we're there, and so we are spending about a week in LA, where we will be able to see my team (the Jazz) and her team (The Mavs) just four days apart in January (16th & 20th). Both games are against the Clippers.

As I have never been to AMerica before, let alone an NBA game, I could use some assistance!

* What is the best way to buy tickets? SHould I buy in advance with a credit card? What site should I use?
* Where would be a good place inthe arena to sit, bearing in mind that we want to have a good view without breaking the bank. IT is also worth bearing in mind that we will be supporting the away team!
* When is the best time to arrive for the game?
* Are there good public transport links to Staples center? We are probably hiring a car, but may be a bit nervous driving on the wrong side of the road!
* What are the chances of meeting any of the players? Is there a good way to see the Jazz getting onto the coach or anything?
* Is there anything else I need to know?

While I'm at it, please feel free to give me any advice on things to see while we are there, good value hotels, places to eat, places NOT to go... Any advice gratefully received! (We have a guidebook, but it's always good to hear it from the locals!)

Many thanks!

JazzMan

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Best way to buy tickets would in fact be in advance, you do want some good seats and not the rafters. EBay in my opinion is the best, but theres ticketmaster, stubhub. Those are the main three from what I know.

About the best seat, I have been to just one game, it was in section 209, pretty good seats, so I can't help with that.

Best time to arrive might be 30 minutes to an hour, I think you get a chance to get autographs and what not during them just shooting.

About public transportation, I'm not sure.

To meet players, my best guess would be to show up extremely early, or stay extremely late.

some advice: Don't go to East LA unless your with someone who knows the place :p . . that's all I know since i live in the San Fernando Valley and not Los Angeles itself.

Hope this helped, and I hope Clips beat ur teams :D lol

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
JazzMan said:
* What is the best way to buy tickets? SHould I buy in advance with a credit card? What site should I use?
* Where would be a good place inthe arena to sit, bearing in mind that we want to have a good view without breaking the bank. IT is also worth bearing in mind that we will be supporting the away team!
* When is the best time to arrive for the game?
* Are there good public transport links to Staples center? We are probably hiring a car, but may be a bit nervous driving on the wrong side of the road!
* What are the chances of meeting any of the players? Is there a good way to see the Jazz getting onto the coach or anything?
* Is there anything else I need to know?

While I'm at it, please feel free to give me any advice on things to see while we are there, good value hotels, places to eat, places NOT to go... Any advice gratefully received! (We have a guidebook, but it's always good to hear it from the locals!)

Many thanks!

JazzMan
1. There is not really a best way to buy tickets, though there is a cheaper way by using Ebay. I don't think the games will sell out so you can buy them from the boxoffice or ticketmaster.com.

2. I think the first and 2nd levels are good, I have never sat all the way at the top. If you are looking for cheaper tickets with a good view the 2nd level will be good. You don't have to worry about where you sit if you are cheering for the away team it doesn't matter in basketball.

3. Best time to arrive would have to be early just in case of traffic. Traffic is a pain so try to arrive early though many arrive a little after the game starts.

4. No clue about public transportation.

5. No clue how to meet the players. The only thing I can think of is if you seats are next to the tunnel you might be able to five a player or something.

6. Advice? None really just have a nice time.

I am not sure where in LA you are going to be but if you see an In-n-out eat there. It is fast food but the best fast food in california, it is hamburgers and fries. Some things you might want to see that most tourists go and see (I personally don't go) are the way of fame, hollywood sign. There a lot of things probably the guide is the best thing to follow for attractions and such.

·
Clipper Legend
827 Posts
i live in between hollywood and downtown LA and best advice i can give you is to be early. beat the traffic and also it gets dark arround 5 pm here. so if you want to maximize your time here, wake up early. i would suggest clubbing at hollywood just to experience the local hype. food wise, theres alot of variety but the mexican food here in LA is amazing and i would suggest carne asada burrito. IN n OUT is by far the best fast food and at a great price. also, they have secret menu's so i suggest looking online for them. really if you're trying to save money, i would hit up local attractions and places such as the santa monica pier and just enjoy the environment. i would stay away from malls since there isnt really anything special about them.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just booked my tickets. Sect 107 (corner loge). Pretty expensive but we're not going to the Dallas game any more, so we just thought we might as well get as good a view as we can.

There are better bargains on ebay but most won't ship to the UK, and i'm nervous about getting ripped off.

The game is in one month's time. I can't believe I'm actually going!

We still haven't booked a hotel yet or anything though...

Thanks for your comments everyone.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You got the best section -- and I don't just say that because that's where my seats are. It's where Clipper Daryl hangs out (for most of the game anyway) and the view is awesome -- you don't have to crane your neck back and forth, all the action comes right to you -- like a corner table at a restaurant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts