Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clippers have a lot of FA's this summer. Some important, some not so important. Rank who you think they should go after first, and approx. how much you are willing to give them.

1. Bobby Simmons. Full MLE. I put him before jaric because i think the cilppers will wait until someone gives jaric an offer sheet before offering him something themselves. If bobby goes for more than the MLE which he very well might, i WOULD consider it, but probably only if they let jaric go, because that would use up a max slot.

2. Marko jaric. 4 million/year. Cilppers are injury prone, this guy when healthy can fill in at 3 positions, i think hes valuable to the clippers. Especially if they get no more 3 point shooters, he also can hit that.

3. Mikki Moore. 1 million/year. I like him beacuse of the versitility that he developed over the season, also available for 3 positions, and a lot more cheap and less injury prone than rebraca. Also brings energy to the team.

4. Rebraca. 3.5 million/year Clippers have said many times they want him back.But i cant see giving him much of a raise, when he was injured so much of the season, and since theyre saving money for a max slot. Good backup to kaman though when healthy.

5. Brunson. 1 million/year. Not much of a raise, probably thats almost the minimum for someone his age, but 200000 dollars more than this year for someone who helped your team out for much of the year is appropriate.

6. Kittles . 1.5 million/year. Hed never take that little money, but for someone with his potential of how he can play, its worth the money. Plus i wanted to include him on the list just to show how little i want number 7 which is

7. Chalmers. minimum wage. I sure hope the clippers dont get him back. Hes too old to be considered a project, and too untalented to take up a roster spot. If you want a 4th string PG, just get one in the free agency at the minimum, or heck pick one up again in the 2nd round. Or better yet, just go without a 4th PG.

·
Retired
17,913 Posts

1. Bobby Simmons- Everyone knows right now he is a key factor to the success of the Clippers. True this seems to be his breakout year but next year he could be better.

2. Marko Jaric- I have to give him credit he has really improved from last year and can now hit the 3 point shot. Him and Livingston together may give a lot of teams trouble.

3. Rebraca- A VERY good back up to Chris Kaman. But he will probably go after some good enough money, maybe too much for the Clippers as a backup center. Maybe if the Clippers pick up Radman he will stick around.

T-4. Mikki Moore-Showed very good promise in the beginning of year and then got slowed down by an injury. He is versatile and because of that I like.

T-4. Brunson- Have to resign Brunson, he has started so many games that he knows Dunleavy's system and will be a good 3rd option on the team.

T-6. Kittles- Management has already hinted that he won't be signed. His injury could be career ending and because of that I don't want to see him back

T-7. Chalmers- He has shown a little progress when he was given a shot at one point during the season but I don't know if he can improve to actually help the Clippers.

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
1. I want bobby first... Hopefully the price is right...
2. Jaric baby. He still needs work, but two 6-7's in your back court.. Thats a sweet deal.
3. Rebreca doing great in the absense of Kaman.. So good.. I wonder if he couldn't end up being better eventually.

The other losers, I say ditch. I like Mikki, if he is cheap enough Id be cool with keeping him.

I want to say no more brunson.. But jesus with our PG's history of health this season I'm scared not to keep him.. I think he probably wont be to demanding of money since no one else really is gonna flock to him anymore. So if the price is right, I'd rather him stay than go.

Kittles, get rid of that loser.

Chalmers who? Oh thats right.. I remeber now.. If he is willing to stay on the Clippers for a life time supply of Gatorade, I'm all for it. Just no direct cash please.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
1. Bobby Simmons - a good SF is surprisingly hard to find
2. Marko Jaric - he's an injury waiting to happen so it should drive his value down. I'm unsure that he'll actually be resigned though because his agent is none other than Bill Duffy.
3. Rebraca - he's a decent backup.
4. Mikki Moore - I'm not sure they should resign him, but if they trade Wilcox they should.

5. Brunson or Chalmers - Brunson's an average 3rd stringer...I'm not as confident about the Clipps' 5-8 SG...I'd like to see Chalmers resigned over Brunson though, since he can hit a jumper.

No offer: Kittles

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Simmons-The MIP the Clips need him. He compliment the other players well. Hopefully he can keep improving and one day be an all-star.
Rebraca-You always love to have a scorer off the bench. Needs to be kept.
Jaric-Very importan player but the Clips have Livinston- He needs to be kept.
Brunson-You need to keep him because of the health concern to the other points.
Moore-I he played how he did at the beginning of the season the whole year he would be a lot higher.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
yamaneko said:
Clippers have a lot of FA's this summer. Some important, some not so important. Rank who you think they should go after first, and approx. how much you are willing to give them.

1. Bobby Simmons. Full MLE. I put him before jaric because i think the cilppers will wait until someone gives jaric an offer sheet before offering him something themselves. If bobby goes for more than the MLE which he very well might, i WOULD consider it, but probably only if they let jaric go, because that would use up a max slot.
The Clippers can sign him to a deal similar to one which a full MLE deal would bring (6 years, $42 million) but they cannot use their actual MLE on him since they are under the cap. The Clippers might just have to reach deep into their pockets to resign him because they sure as hell can't rely on reputable FA's like Ray Allen signing with them, not with the reputation they've developed over the past decade.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, thats kind of what i meant. However, also if the clippers sign someone for the max deal, plus jaric first, and have only MLE left,and simmons accepts it...then that too. :)

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing chalmers does can make us look stupid. Were basing our analysis of him on his play this year, as well as the clippers needs. If the clippers resign jaric and brunson, why would they want another point guard? If they get him it would just be to be on the injured list most of the year. If he goes to another team next year and all of a sudden can shoot, and make good decisions, bravo to him.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You would want to rely on Brunson again Yamaneko. He was absolutely awful last night and just showed how bad he is for this team. He can stick around if he doesn't play but when your defense is so bad that Randy Livingston looks like an all star you are pathetic.

Chalmers was playing very well before Liv and Jaric got back but I guess you guys didn't notice and atleast he plays D which is more than I can say for Brunson. You guys are the type of people that would have wanted the bucks to cut Michael Redd during his first year because he never played.

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
sipclip said:
Chalmers is going to make you haters look real stupid next year.

Only way Chalmers is going to make us look stupid next year is if we keep him instead of getting rid of him. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There isnt another 3rd string PG in the league id rely on more than brunson. There is no 3rd stringer in the leauge who put up brunsons numbers this year. His defense is not so bad either. Pretty good in the steal department, especially in close games. Chalmers D is also very questionable. During the beginning of the season, everyone was saying that he and ross were going to be deffensive stoppers. Then lawler and smith had to completely shut up and never sayed it again when his deffense turned out to be nothing spectacular. Chalmers played, he is no michael redd. Heck, he averaged 12 minutes a game, even with all of his 1 minute cameo appearances, so that means in many games he played substansial minutes. Most of his blunders dont show up in the stats, but lets take a look at the games in which he did play big minutes, and things did show up in the stats:
12/21 vs. Hornets. 44 minutes, 3-12 shooting, 1-6 3 pointers, 50% free throws.
During that month of decemember, he averaged a season high 20 minutes a game. and gave the cilppers in return 29% FG shooting, 25% 3 pointers, 33% free throws, 3 steals the whole month. Brunson on the other hand gave us consistent minutes, and great assists-turnover ratio for those minutes. Heck, believe it or not, even though livingston hasnt played much, brunsons season long assists per 48 minutes is still 2 more than even livingston.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's ridiculous Yamaneko he played in 6 games in december and only one game over 20min. If you are going to judge a player on his first few games in the league then you better write off alot of good players.

There is no way that you can make a statement like Brunson has been good on D because he is horrible. He gets a few steals but that doesn't make up for his guy blowing by him whenever they want and wreaking havoc on our D. When you have a pg that can't contain any kind of penetration it makes it so much harder on the rest of the team because the have to always help out and it leads to a ton of easy baskets.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i agree with you slip - i haven't liked some of chalmers play of late - it has been a little shoot first, and bad decisions. i think that's becuase he started having a little ball handling trouble, and he was matched up with earl boykins in one game, all game they manned up (brunson couldn't cover him) - where he played good d - but boykins hurt him defensively as well and wore him out mentally. i think he had like 6 t.o. that game, you have to credit a lot of that to boykins. chamlers has improved throughout the year. there is no use comparing him to brunson, who has 8 something years more experience. we should compare him to vucajic from the lakers, or chris duhon or a player of his type - who has a few years to prove if he can play at a high level. chalmers has a chance to be ok, he doesn't look like he has a great feel for the game handing the point, but he does have confidence - but i see a good shot, quick feet, good hops, athletic, good body mechanics, could be a poor mans sam cassell, bobby jackson type player. I say those player becuase of his confidence - that makes a difference. chalmers thinks he can do it all - you can see it in his game, and you can also see when his confidence was hurt against boykins and how it affected his game.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Chalmers has the skills and athletic ability. He needs to work on decision making on defensse,passing,shooting. He seems like a player who could go to the minor league and work on those weaknesses. Then when he gets back to the league he will be a very solid point. Who could be exciting with his speed. His shooting is confusing he seems like he can shoot by his confidence and form but he isnt hitting them at a good rate. I dont think he is very comfortable yet. I think it would be best if he went to the minor league or to another team.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Your the one that's garbage and has half a brain. It's ridiculous how much you could hate a rookie that was starting to really show promise before Liv and Jaric got back. I guess you don't believe that players get better after there rookie year.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not many players who last in the nba have as bad as years as chalmers. Even players that the clipps picked up for 10 day contracts got time ahead of him.

He showed no promise at all. Everytime he would do something half way decent, he would completely kill it by throwing up a brick early in the shot clock, or making a downright terrible decision.

If he was 19 or 20, you could say he has a lot of upside. But hes older already than half of the clippers on the team. Also he was showing promise in the time right before our players came back from injury? What games were you watching? What stats are you looking at. In march before they came back from injury, He was shooting 41%, a lot better than his dismal season average of 34%, but worse than even the month before. In his best game of the year in which he scored 15 garbage points, he had 6 TO's and 4 fouls in 20 minutes.

Bottom line is if the clippers were healthy, chalmers was 5th on the depth chart at PG after livingston, jaric, brunson and kittles. 5th stringers usually do not make the team the following year barring personell moves, or if he plays out of his mind in the summer. Even with averaging playing a full quarter in every game he played in, he could not prove much of anything. Its not like he was a pure garbage time player year round like ndiyaye who could only average ilke 3 minutes a game.

The only way i see them keeping him is if they lose jaric and brunson, and max out on the cap, thus unable to get a minimum guy in free agency, but resigning him wont count agasint the cap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts