Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Clippers keep an open mind about draft (Clippers like both Young's and Wright?)

561 views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  leidout 
#1 ·
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers28jun28,1,6196055.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

"You don't always pick someone in an area of need," said General Manager Elgin Baylor, not commenting specifically on the Clippers' plans. "If you do that [draft for need], you could wind up passing on players at other positions who have more potential than a player where you have a need. ... What sense would that make?"
As of Wednesday, Julian Wright of Kansas, Nick Young of USC and Thaddeus Young of Georgia Tech were among the highest-rated players on the Clippers' draft board. Wright is a probable top-10 pick, a veteran draft evaluator said, but one of the Youngs (who are not related) could be available when the Clippers are on the clock.
"You would like to get a player who can come in and play right away, a player who can give you some quality minutes, but that's not always the case," Baylor said. "If you can't get that, you look at the long-term potential of a player."

#8 ·
hopefully law will be gone by then, not giving them the opportunity.

One thing interesting...what if, heaven forbid, they DO go PG first in the first round. I wonder if they go for marcus williams in the 2nd. Hard to believe last year he would have been a top 10 pick. Sometimes it doesnt do you good to stay in school

#9 ·
The Clippers need a PG. It's interesting that they arent involved in the rumors since there seem to be several solid PG's available in trades... J.Jack, L.Ridnour, M.Ellis.

#11 ·
Im putting my money on cassell. i think he will be back to his old (literally!) self. All we need is a decent backup, i think jason hart fits the bill. Maybe id carry an emergency PG on the roster, be it diaz, conroy, or ewing, but other than that i think were set. Mobley can also play the 1 if need be, so i really dont think we need to go out and spend TOO Much money on somenoe. I expect cassell to have a 16/7 year.

#12 ·
man when i woke up this morning i almost had a heart attack...i sleep with the tv on the nba channel sometimes and they we're talking about the clippers and i was half awake and actualy dreaming that it was our pick. both young's, law, crit, and some other good players we're still on the board and as i opened my eyes they we're showing some white guy who i ain't even seen before next to the clipper logo so i was like **** we ****** up again...then my girl said that it was just a preview --- but i think that if we take a pg ( if no young is available ) it should be stuckey. he's a baller...vada

#13 ·
TucsonClip said:
Those PGs are all out west and I think we would have to overpay to get one of them. I would love to trade for Ellis, but GS will never give him up to us.
For something like #14 + Singleton/Thomas/Ross, i think they might consider it. Singleton or Thomas would excel in Nelly's scheme. Ross would provide some needed defense.

Or a better trade might be something like Maggette + #14 for (S&T) Matt Barnes + Monta Ellis.

Although i think it's too close to the draft, so unless it's already in the works, i doubt either would happen.

#14 ·
I think we might be in luck today, because with the depth of this draft and the fact that nobody is really penciled in after the top 5 pick there could be a major name dropping into the Clipps lap at #14. I'm hoping that name might be Jeff Green, because I think he's a lot like Bobby Simmons and could be a great fit for this team.

#15 ·
dang, all this trade talk. Monta ellis considered being traded for penuts. Charlotte doesnt want the 8th pick. 5th pick up for sale. Ray allen up for sale. Kevin garnett for sale. Pierce possibly for sale. If the clippers come up empty handed on all of these sales, im going to be pissed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.