Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bobby Simmons

Los Angeles Clippers

Chicago connection: A fourth-year 6-6 small forward, Simmons was born in Chicago and starred at Simeon High School, where he averaged 27 points, 10 rebounds and five assists as a senior before playing three years at DePaul. He was drafted No. 42 in 2001 by the Seattle SuperSonics, who instantly traded him to Washington for Predrag Drobnjak.

Catching up: Averaging career highs of 16.8 points and 6.0 rebounds this season, Simmons, 24, is one of the league's best bargains at his salary of $825,000. But all that will change this summer when he becomes a free agent. "It's a good chance that I will be re-signed this summer, and that would be nice because I like it here,'' Simmons said. "Chicago is also a possibility, and that would be nice because you can never beat home cooking and because the Bulls are now a young team turning things around as a winner again and they'll be in the playoffs. But I'll leave this in my agent's hands.''
http://www.suntimes.com/output/banks/cst-spt-banx03.html

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
I think Simmons will be out of the Bulls' price range, and I also think he's more of a 3 than a 2 which creates some log jam. However, I definitely wouldn't mind if we signed him. He'd be a nice player no doubt.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Oh wow, thats great news...sounds like he has his eyes on Chicago and he certainly would be a nice fit.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
I see him as a 'tweener 2/3. I think that is exactly what we need, especially if we intend to keel KH, Ben and Duhon. We need someone who can be a big 2, as needed, and fill in minutes at 3, as needed.

The kid has shown he's a solid shooter this season, with decent range. Certainly can stroke a 3. Not Steve Kerr accurate, but that is no insult.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
That would be absolutely great for us. We probably won't be able to resign Duhon for more than LLE , since Simmons will take at least all the MLE (and I agree he's on the edge of being out of our price range , unless he really wants to return home , cause I believe he can get slightly above MLE)

For some strange reason Simmons had a DNP last night and the reasoning was coaches decision. Check out the Box Score . anyone know of any beef going inside the team??? or is there a different reason he did not play???

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
yodurk said:
I think Simmons will be out of the Bulls' price range, and I also think he's more of a 3 than a 2 which creates some log jam. However, I definitely wouldn't mind if we signed him. He'd be a nice player no doubt.
He's only a "3" because Maggette is listed as the guard. While not a stellar defender, he's certainly not worse than average defensively. He has the footspeed to match up with opposing two-guards. He seems to have found his offensive rhythm this season (indicated by his FG%) and has been making open shots (which has limited his minutes in the past).

I wouldn't mind him as our third guard (ahead of Duhon), but only if we can sign him for the $3-3.5mil starting range. He definately could command more than that depending on the market/scouting.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
I could find a spot for Simmons in my lineup. Push Deng to the two -- not as natural as siging a raja bell type, but you can't argue with the influx of talent. Signing Simmons may be the best case scenario for this upcoming off-season. I'm glad to hear there is interest.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
bullet said:
That would be absolutely great for us. We probably won't be able to resign Duhon for more than LLE , since Simmons will take at least all the MLE (and I agree he's on the edge of being out of our price range , unless he really wants to return home , cause I believe he can get slightly above MLE)

For some strange reason Simmons had a DNP last night and the reasoning was coaches decision. Check out the Box Score . anyone know of any beef going inside the team??? or is there a different reason he did not play???
I think its a leg contusion or something like that. Nothing serious, as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Man if anyone watched simmons at washington or LA they would see that he not only can he guard SG's but he is and outstanding defended with awsome foot work. That is how he stayed in the league until he fixed his shot and offensive game. He can easlily start at SG for us and match up with both KH and gordon. He would make are starting backcourt he best defensive team in the league.

david

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Rhyder said:
He's only a "3" because Maggette is listed as the guard. While not a stellar defender, he's certainly not worse than average defensively. He has the footspeed to match up with opposing two-guards. He seems to have found his offensive rhythm this season (indicated by his FG%) and has been making open shots (which has limited his minutes in the past).

I wouldn't mind him as our third guard (ahead of Duhon), but only if we can sign him for the $3-3.5mil starting range. He definately could command more than that depending on the market/scouting.
Well, I went to DePaul and watched Bobby Simmons all 3 years he played there. His body type is identical to Ron Artest, and I'd also go so far to say his game is fairly similar too, except for the defensive tenacity of course. And I wouldn't put Simmons as a 2-guard much for the very same reason I wouldn't place Artest there. He's not a great ballhandler, and as a 2-guard he would technically be the secondary ballhandler. When facing a press, that can cause problems. I would also worry about his ability to defend alot of opposing 2-guards, particuarly the quicker ones. I bet Deng could defend opposing 2's just as well, if not better, due to his length...Simmons doesn't have near the same length as Deng. Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind the signing...I just think Raja Bell would be better, and maybe cheaper. Devin Brown would be cheapest of all 3, and maybe just as effective if given the minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
giusd said:
Man if anyone watched simmons at washington or LA they would see that he not only can he guard SG's but he is and outstanding defended with awsome foot work. That is how he stayed in the league until he fixed his shot and offensive game. He can easlily start at SG for us and match up with both KH and gordon. He would make are starting backcourt he best defensive team in the league.

david

I agree. All this talk about him being strictly a three is inaccurate.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
how good would he be right now with deng and curry being down . . . :drool: scoring punch, permiter D, and rebounding help. sign me up.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I agree that all things being equal, he may join the Bulls. But that isnt going to be the case, IMHO. And when it comes down to agents, money....

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Simmons will see a lot of action from teams especially if guys like Redd and Allen resign with their respective teams.

Other teams with more cap space i.e Cavaliers are near desperate for a SG and could easily drive up the price for Bobby Simmons to where he wouldn't be in the Bulls price range.

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
yodurk said:
I know we've discussed this before and we agree with eachother. He's definitely more of a 3, but can defend 2's decently. He's really worked hard to refine his skills since coming out of Depaul. He's turning into what scouts thought he would be in college. He'd be a great player to have on any team, but he'll be out of our price range. Unless we get lucky and no other teams have the money to sign him by signing other guys first. I don't think that will happen, but I'd be ecstatic if it did.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
Simmons will see a lot of action from teams especially if guys like Redd and Allen resign with their respective teams.

Other teams with more cap space i.e Cavaliers are near desperate for a SG and could easily drive up the price for Bobby Simmons to where he wouldn't be in the Bulls price range.
Not sure Allen will stay with Sonics , He might join Bron. And apart of Redd and Ray , there are also Larry Hughes and Joe Johnson. Plus , Cavs might wanna resign Z , that won't leave them a lot to push. It also depends on where Simmons wants to play , And if he want Chicago the difference in contract has to be worthy , and if it's much over MLE Cavs have to think if it's worth it.I also think Cavs would look for a better Shooter SG to play next to Bron , since Brons only weakness is shooting , and none of their wing (or PG's) players showed they can do it.They need a shooter and thats why they went for Luke Jackson in the last draft (which didn't work out so far)
But I agree It's a possibility.

Now , abbout Simmons defense - He's no Ron Artest , but he's definitely a good active tough defensive player. And as I see it , he can gaurd the 2. He's less a sg than sf , but he can play sg , although handle ain't great. Deng can help with handle on offense , while Simmons can gaurd the 2.

I'd love for him to come , even though imo it means Du is gone. Skiles won't like it , but I doubt the LLE would be enough to keep Duhon. Still , I think we add offense , we add defense at the wing , and we lose Duhons D at PG which Kirk can definitely take , and we lose passing by Du.

Although in the case of Simmons coming Ben will still be 6th man , I think this is a better trio where they should devide the minutes in a way each of them plays more than 30 minutes. Ben proved he's worth 30+ minutes. Equally it's 32 minutes a player.

Resigning the Bigs along with Othella , and getting Simmons back home , would be another great offseason for Pax. Time will tell.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Simmons would definitely be a great fit for this team. He plays hard, understands the game, and works hard to improve each offseason. He is a Paxson type player. Anyone who has watched the Clippers this year knows he is probably their 2nd or 3rd best player.

He has bassline jumper better than anyone in the league. It's money every time. He is also a good all around player, good passer and defender. He wasn't all that good at taking the ball to the hoop this year, but something tells me he may work on that this offseason. He is still young.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
So Gordon is still going to come off the bench? Is he going to be happy with that after working hard in the off-season to improve his game? I doubt he would gripe, but you can't continue playing this guy off the bench before he feels like saying he wants to start.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts