Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say I've been very impressed with this guy so far. While we all will be able to pick spots where the coach probably made a mistake, this team looks so much better prepared then last years. For example, when the offense gets stagnant after a few plays the Cavs switch not only the play but try to exploit another player's ability.

For example, he's got great instincts to get Hughes involved. Hughes looks to be coasting but when the Cavs need a change of pace, Brown immediately gets him involved.

Of course, the biggest thing is defense. I'm not the biggest fan of Eric Snow but Brown has shown him great confidence and Snow has responded by playing great D. Something Silas never did.

Finally, the minutes and rotations have been top notch. Every player seems to know his role (particularly Gooden) and no one is playing excessive minutes

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am amazed that he has kept up his rotation with substitutions. Henderson plays more than I ever would have thought. It really seems like he has installed some good defensive strategies. I hope the team continues to listen to him.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
I like how Coach Brown took a chance and started to give Luke/Sasha minutes early in the season. Silas would only play bench guys in blow out games, giving them garbage minutes. Players usually don't get better playing meaningless minutes. You eventually have to ease guys into pressure situations where things really count and they face better competition. In this sense, Coach Brown is better at developing talent and in turn, he gains trust from not only the starters, but the bench crew as well.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well since I've written glowing things about him in the past: time to be critical - don't know he stuck with guys like Marshall and Jones particularly deep in the 4 quarter when they both were slumping big time.

I'm also baffled by why Luke is not getting more playing time or trying out a lineup with Hughes, James, and Luke on the floor at once.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I don't have a huge problem with him bringing Marshall and Jones back in. I mean, yeah this game they were off, but for the Cavs to be any good they have to be able to make plays in the clutch even on off nights. The biggest reason you see Coach Brown stick with his rotations is that he's trying to create roles for guys, and so right now just not playing a guy because he's cold when the whole team is cold is only going to cause more problems.

I mean it's hard enough to get Damon to accept a backup role, but if you start cutting his minutes just because he is slumping in favor of Luke Jackson, it's really going to hurt his confidence.

These early losses should turn into late wins as the season progresses. When you have a team so new to each other and the system, the more you can play them together the better.

I think Coach Brown has to be reasonably happy with tonights game, because it showed to the players that if they play good defense, even if they are shooting poorly it gives them a chance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts